We stayed here from the 1st June for one week. We are a family of two adults 2 children aged 3 and 2 year. We booked the accommodation with Thomson Hotels and the flight separately which halved the cost of our holiday and gave us much better flight times. I would def recommend doing this and would never trust the Thomson Holiday price. As we did book individually we didn't have coach transfers and got a taxi directly from outside the airport this cost 95 euros. On the way back we booked a private transfer from the hotel costing only 75 euros.
We arrived at about 10pm and were happy to find a luggage trolley in reception. I had requested a top floor in block 4 over-looking the tennis courts/ football area. The reception immediately told me that we couldn't have a top floor as there we none available but she had put me on the 1st floor over looking the football court.
On arriving at our room we were met with the most horrendous smell of smoke. It was so strong the family before us must have not left the apartment for 2 week. The beds covers and pillow smelt of smoke too and we had to sleep with the balcony doors open. My husband did go down to reception and pick up some new pillows but as the hotel was fully booked they explained that they could not move us for another 2 days. This was a little annoying as you are unable to unpack. They told us that the cleaners would be in the next day and sure enough when we arrived back from the pool they had been in and sprayed a cheap air-freshner which made me feel even more sick. Also our room didnt over look the football area and instead directly over looked the outdoor pool (which was shut as it was out of season) and the children's club. It was not the worst view but I am quite a private person and would rather people can not look directly into our room hence booking a top floor.We did eventually get moved to the back of block 5 on the top floor with a distant sea view which was great. I would like to add that I do not blame the hotel for the smoking incidents as it could happen anywhere but if like me you can be disappointed easily i would:
A) bring a can of oust with you (which i did go down to the local supermarket to buy for 4 euros )
B) when requesting a specific room location - write to the hotel a few days before to remind them of your request and show them you mean business.
Anyway apart from the 2 incident's mentioned above I cannot rate this resort highly enough. We have never been on a Thomson holiday before and so any form of entertainment for us was a bonus.
1. The outdoor stage area - very pretty and pleasant to sit and have a drinking whilst watching the sun set behind the palm trees after dinner.
2. The ability to hire a double buggy for 3 euros a day from reception
3. The activities that were on every day with no pressure to join in
4. The proximity to the harbour - where we would take bread from breakfast and feed to fish (very peaceful and def a highlight of our holiday)
5. Very friendly reps
6. Food choice in restaurants
1. The pond with the turtles and fish
2. The pool table which enjoyed about 30 euros from us
3. The soft play for a few minutes of rough and tumble
4. Thomson the dog and the nightly shows
5. Cbeebies in the room although we only put this on whilst packing to go home
6. The parks with facilities for older children too.
7. Hiring a horse for 5 euros for an hour to take to the harbour
Things we didnt enjoy so much:
1. The football academy not catering for under 5's
2. The waiter service in the indoor restaurant
3. The sunbeds being taken before you had finished breakfast.
4. The price of the local supermarket - I think this is down to the euro
5. The mushrooms in the restaurant in the morning were tinned with a really funny taste and the tomatoes were also very funny tasting ( this was a shame for us as we dont eat meat so we would def have breakfast in the room next time and just do dinner)
6. No swap box in reception like the sa coma gran
7. Getting the train into Cala Millor - The train did not accommodate the double very well and dropped us off quite a way from the beach. The beach was very busy and windy and surrounded by arcades and souvenir shops. The train does not come back to where you are dropped off and we had to walk about 30 minutes to find a bus to take us home. Luckily the bus was cheap, empty and very modern with air conditioning and a big area at the back for the buggy. It dropped us off right outside our hotel (a completely different experience from the train).
8. The entertainment brought in by the hotel. This time would have been spent must better by using the existing reps to provide games that the adults could join in such as more quizzes and games for all ages.
1. Email the hotel with any requests before you go
2. Dont get taxi from the airport (use the hotels)
3. Take a childrens juice bottle with you so you can fill it up at breakfast and take water in it to dinner
4. If you need a double buggy hire it there
5. Dont take towel hire them from reception for 10 euros
6. If you want to get out of the hotel for a bit the english pub near the supermarket has an our door play area for children, a goal, computers and a little cinema. We only found it as England were playing but all the Thomson reps were in there so I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.
7. Supermarket does very nice sun-glasses for about 7 euros
8. Buy bottled water from reception to save you going to the supermarket
9. Pringles and crisps sold behind the hotel bar are a 1/3 of the price in the supermarket
So to end this long review I would def recommend this hotel and have been doing so to all my friends with kids. We are going back to Majorca at the end of September but are going to try the other Thomson Family Extra in Sa Coma so watch this space.
- Also Known As:
- Protur Bonaire Aparthotel Hotel Cala Bona
- Protur Bonaire Aparthotel Cala Bona, Majorca