“Decor a little dated but clean and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Miraflores Resort

Miraflores Resort
Ranked #19 of 42 Speciality Lodging in Mijas
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Decor a little dated but clean and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed as a family of 4 (three young adults) at Miraflores on a time-share exchange. Our apartment was clean and well situated for our trips up and down the coast. While accommodation was spacious, we would have liked 2 bathrooms. Our circular block also had its own swimming pool and a security gate to keep out unwanted visitors. We were not happy to pay extra for the fitted safety box. The apartment had good security i.e. an alarm was fitted.
(Living in South Africa we are used to this level of security).Shortly before we checked in, we were told there had been luggage stolen out of a car in broad daylight. Although we didn't see any suspicious characters hanging around, there is obviously a crime problem in the area.
Operating the washing machine in the unit had us stumped, despite asking housekeeping for assistance, so further washing was done by hand. Miraflores is close to the supermarket, shops, restaurants and the mall at Fuengirola (good shopping venue).World famous Marbella was a short drive away, but far too congested for our liking.The beaches at the Costa del Sol are nothing remarkable as S A has much nicer ones, but this was not the true purpose of our holiday. Nerja had a good beach and was a really pretty town to visit.Trips to nearby Ronda, Granada (The magnificent Alhambra) and Malaga as well as Mijas were most enjoyable although the smell of donkeys in Mijas was a bit overwhelming at times and clung most stubbornly to a leather bag I bought there! None the less, we had a wonderful holiday at Miraflores and the extra night we stayed was reasonably priced and easily arranged. Resort staff were mostly helpful and spoke English. Our car hire from Auto-Rent Miraflores was a pleasure and the staff were most helpful. I also think it was very affordable. Despite minor irritations, I would return to this area and recommend Miraflores as a well situated and convenient resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and check you have adequate security. Be alert at all times.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Arlene945
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

This is a continuation of a previous post now, back in UK.
The resort management must be extremely stupid to keep seeing those comments and still not doing anything about it. Whilst sitting in the apartment, one in the circular building, kids at the pool and wife coming and going; she popped back shortly after going out to say that the 3 gypsy women were sitting outside, then she left again. Within moments I heard a scrapping at the door and then a couple of grubby ugly faces appeared. I shooed them off with a flea in their ear, happy to join the other fleas no doubt!

Called reception and got a very non-interested response saying to stay in and they would send security man up. 30 minutes later no security had come, rang again and they said that security had caught the women..... and what, called police? No, escorted them off the premises. Ha! What good is that? Obviously no good at all unless there is an unlimited supply of gypsy women at their camp, the same ones keep coming back.

They had apparently used a slim jemmy on the door as if you don't double lock it they can easily open the 'Yale' style' closer. There is no handle on the outside and I did not think that locking myself in the apartment would be required, but AGAIN BE WARNED.

I must give this resort a 1 star terrible rating solely for their ineptitude in sorting this problem out and the apparent indifference of the reception staff. What would have happened if it was my young children in the apartment whilst we popped out to the car or pool to bring back forgotten towels etc and these old crows break in. IT IS NOT FUNNY.

We became fastidious in double locking the front door and the additional lock on one of the 2 patio doors and setting the alarm (never seen the this in a holiday apartment before) but following our return after an afternoon at the beach the room had been cleaned but the alarm was not re-set nor the patio locked...WTF!!

DO NOT GO TO THIS RESORT UNTIL THEY SORT THIS OUT! This will be the only way that they will get off their lazy butts and do something. P.S. Management have found one response to the lack of security, they charge you €40 for a sake key, well done.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Ace171

Travellers are raving about these Mijas hotels

dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

Spotless apartment and very well equipped for a family. 2 beds and 2 bathrooms. Best apartments we have stayed in. Great view of Med and mountains. Underground parking etc Gardens and pools very clean and suitable for young kids. You need a key to get in to the complex and pool and there is a life guard on duty from 11am to 7pm. 10 min walk down a steep hill to beach, shop and eateries. Also, the same walk within the Miraflores complex to more shops etc. Bus to Malaga etc at end of hill. Some very good eateries near beach as you approach La Cala. 'Gambitas' and others on the beach. 'Sai' is a great Indian in La Cala.Tapas bar within the grounds of a excellent playground in LA Cala. 'The Terrace' is very good also. You can get by without a car, but you could get to see so much more with one.Just be careful of dog owners not cleaning up after their pets on footpaths etc. Loads to see and do. Would go back.

• Liked — The apartment
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank dave080
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

After a lovely week in the sun at Miraflores I had to check out early ( 1 night) However after finding reception closed at 9.30p.m put the apartment keys in the letter box provided.After dropping the keys became aware that 2 small credit card size tokens that were given to me by the hotel were still in my room (where I had left my completed questionaire) I was collected by my taxi and left the hotel unable to contact anyone about the tokens.
On arrival home I was sent a text by the hotel asking about the tokens but their txt no was withheld and could not reply with an answer.
I was duly charged on my credit card (details they took on arrival) £100.00. for 2 tokens that if I had of taken would of posted back but feel the Hotel has very dishonest staff who I am told checked my room very early ( even though I had another day of holiday officially with them) They did however find my questionaire ......
I defenitely would not stay here again, No reception after 9 p.m and staff that must make a nice income selling off plastic tokens (value £100.00) which I never used for a sun chair.
Lesson learnt never give credit card details on holiday.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank roundthebend1
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

I have stayed in this resort for many years and have always had a wonderful holiday, There is an area that is for time share at the top of the hill but lower down most apartments are privately owned, it is very convenient for restaurants, supermarkets , and entertainment , Where I stay the beach is a five minute walk with a restaurant on the beach. I have not seen any doubtful people about the area. Go and enjoy this beautiful resort - I do say as in any any country you visit be aware of your personal belongings.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple