US$ 67
Vila Gama(Machico)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsexpress busclose to the airportminutes from the airportparrot showoverlooking the bayentertainment every nightbit datedeuros per personbars and restaurantstea and coffee making facilitieshired a carmadeira winegreat holidayeach eveningplenty of choiceoutdoor poolisland
Reviewed 22 October 2017

I like hotels location, size of room, beautiful view from our room (garden and ocean), but one thing is really bad: the room are without wi-fi and this is not good, because right now I know that next time I wouldnt choose your hotel - service was good but missing wi-fi,cmon its 21 century

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Veronika S
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Very tired and dated hotel. In its hay day I am sure it would have been considered very modern. However, those times are long in the past. We were on a half board basis and we have to say that the food in the evening was average bordering on unexciting. If we had been there for any longer we would certainly have started eating out.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 18 October 2017

This hotel is in a magnificent setting with stunning views of beach and coastline - many rooms have magnificent sea views. Unfortunately, the building itself is stuck in an early 1970s time-warp, and the public areas felt as if I had wandered onto the set of an early James Bond movie. Despite a renovation in the early 2000s, the bedrooms are tired and scruffy, with zero soundproofing and no wifi other than in the entrance lobby. I had a twin with a sea view, which was a reasonable size, but single rooms are tiny. There is a safe in the room, but you have to pay extra to use it - no kettle or other amenities. At least one of the lifts was often out of order during my stay, which is not ideal in a high-rise building. There is a lovely pool in a beautiful garden with poolside bar area, but it was freezing cold, far too cold to swim despite it being very warm when I stayed. There is a good choice on the breakfast buffet although the 'orange juice' had clearly never been near an orange. There is a lovely family-run restaurant just opposite the hotel, which I would recommend for evening meals.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank traveller_constant
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Checked in and advised room on the 6th floor, no problem as lifts available, entered room. Air-con on full, nothing happening, room is like a sweat box. Also for a couple with a young baby the room was far too small. Asked reception to look at air-con which they did 'it's working fine' was the response, clearly not. They offered an alternative room on the 2nd floor, walked in and immediately noticed the air-con was working and room was of a much more suitable in size.

Getting around the hotel, not an issue for any able bodied person, however with a baby in a pushchair we found it very hard work, yes there was a lift which took you to every floor, however to get to the restaurant you exit the lift, you then have to go up 4 steps through a room and then down about 12 steps.
Baby in a buggy equals a lot of lifting and carrying. Getting to the pool area was just as hard, there was a route we could take to avoid stairs however more often than not the gate was locked and we'd have to go back and again carry the buggy and baby down several steps.

Now that brings me onto the pool or should I say 'ice' pool. Absolutely not suitable for anyone. And having researched beforehand to check the pool was heated was extremely disappointed at not being able to use it. I spoke to reception and was told the pool was heated to 23 degrees, having tried to get in the pool myself with my daughter who cried, there is no way this pool was 23 degrees either the heater was broken or the thermometer was.

Stayed all inclusive with a very young family. Whilst I can't complain about the food that was served, I've never stayed all inclusive and not had food available all day. Very odd!
11 month old that eats dinner at 4, nothing available between 2:30 and 6:30. So had to entertain/occupy her until dinner was served.

One positive about the entire stay, is the staff, cannot fault the staff at all, they work very hard and are always smiling. They were also very accommodating when it came to heating baby food up out of food hours.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam B
Reviewed 11 October 2017

nothing special, it reminded me hotels in slovakia built during socialism era.
hotel is clean and offers great views of the Machico town. If you live in the hotel, you do nto see it and that is good thing, as it kinda destroys the town "skyline" as it is probably the only building which is tall and in different color than any other building in the town.

Internet is free, but only in the lobby. I did not understand it.
Parking is hard, as the hotel parking offers only few spaces and you must park somewhere ont he road enar the hotel
Hotel has great accessibility for the airport - we used the hotel as last night stay before early morning flight.
Access to city center is perfect, only few meters of walking
AC in the room is loud

I would say that for the price it is worth it, but it will not make you feel great.

Room Tip: higher the floor, greter the view. It is worth to book the city / beach view
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple