“My second time here, even better than my first”
Review of Katana

Katana
Ranked #408 of 847 Restaurants in Norfolk
Reviewed 1 November 2016

Lovely people run this fusion place. Excellent sushi and also interesting Asian combos. The staff is first-rate and easy location and FUN.

Reviewed 21 February 2016 via mobile

My Godson loves this place for his birthday dinner! He loves watching the fire and the "show" while cooking the food! The food is good, but the soup leaves much to be desired. Nice get together. Nothing special.

Reviewed 14 July 2015 via mobile

This is going to sound horrible, me being female, but I need to be 100% honest about what I think of Katana, and this was the only way to get my point across.

I've been here three times. The first time, it was okay. Standard hibachi. Nothing very special. I always order the steak entree, medium rare, with fried rice. The second time, my steak was well done. I showed the waitress and I got 10% off my check.

But the third time I went decided it. I'm never going back. I wanted to show the guy I just started dating what hibachi was like, since he had never been to one before. We went during lunch, which I guess means we don't get a show. They just cooked it in front of us with no tricks. Whatever, we were paying reduced lunch prices anyway. My steak was MedRare, but a little more salty than I usually like on my steak. Oh well, I like salty things normally, so I could deal.

We paid and left. We went to the Total Wine next door and browsed. Less than 10 minutes after we ate and paid and left, I felt the stirrings. And then the stirrings turned into a full on blender running in my stomach. I had to be frugal with my concentration: I had to run into the Total Wine bathroom, remember to lock the door, and hold my cheeks together because the world around me was falling apart.

What first came out of me was a stream of bright, highlighter yellow liquid and a piece of broccoli that I'm assuming comes from Katana's vegetable medley. I looked down horrified. I think I used the whole roll of toilet paper to clean up the aftermath. I felt so sorry for my date, because Total Wine has only one bathroom. Who knew if his bowels were playing fair or not.

Everything I ate passed through my system fairly quickly. Like a cloud burst in the summer time, the storm came with no warning and abated just as suddenly.

I came out of the bathroom and my date looked completely relaxed. So I thought I was the only one affected.

Until he was driving me home. He looked over at me, sweating profusely with panic in his eyes. I knew that the efforts of talking would take away the self control needed to clench, so I told him where the bathroom was in my house before he opened his mouth.

He told me his experience started with a bright yellow fluid as well.

The only thing that was good about the experience that it put two people together in a tramautic situation and made their relationship stronger. We are married now.

1  Thank bbridgetttt
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Took my grandchildren to meet a friend for lunch, and she suggested Katana. Wasn't sure how my grandchildren would respond to such a different experience so I promised them hamburgers afterword if they were at least polite. Didn't need to. The staff went out of their way to accommodate both adult and young child needs, and lunch was a delight for everyone. Shrimp and chicken were both great quality and cooked well. Was able to share portions with the littlest ones and everyone had plenty to eat. Many thanks to Katana. This will become one of our traditions!

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Japanese Steakhouses are supposed to be a 'show' The 'chef' is an entertainer while he cooks in front of you. This hardly happened at Katana. A poorly done 'volcano' and he dropped one of the eggs while tossing the other (only twice) with his spatula. End of show. Our table did not receive the traditional 'yum yum' sauce. Lastly, the restaurant attempted to renege on it's published discount because it was a holiday - Valentine's Day! Too many other Japanese Steakhouses in the area to make this one a 'go to' for hibachi cooked dinners.

Been to Katana? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK