“Excellent meal, although everything is a la cart.”
Review of Green Onion

Green Onion
Ranked #77 of 847 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Mr and I dined al fresco at the Green Onion this past Saturday. It was our first meal at this restaurant. We had a nice, linen covered table with great people watching on Colley Ave. We started with a bowl of She Crab Soup, which had huge pieces of Back Fin crab meat in it, but for me it was too salty and had too much Old Bay. We ordered bread and received a nice hot baguette with home made garlic chive butter. I would have preferred salted butter but it was good. Mr had the herbed salmon, which was served over rice with a julienne vegetable mix. I had a saffron seafood stew which was very rich and flavorful and quite a large portion. I ordered a side order of mashed potatoes, which was not worth the upcharge. I ended up taking home about half the meal home for another meal. Mr. remarked that the bill was quite expensive. I didn't see it so I can't comment. The food was very good, it was a nice atmosphere and a beautiful night to be outside.

Reviewed 16 June 2018

A nice patio outside on Colley has a number of tables for nice weather. And the restaurant is dog friendly. The food was very good, the service friendly, and ambiance was fine. I was surprised that it was not more crowded for dinner when we were there given the quality of the food. Then I noticed the prices and i'm guessing that it must deter some people (I overheard the couple at the next table make the same observation, because the food really is quite good).

Reviewed 7 May 2018

Had a great dinner with a fun staff on Saturday night. Michael and Amanda are fun and entertaining wait staff that enhance the experience of a relaxed atmosphere dining joint. The food is extremely tasty and perfect timing on drinks, and food arrival. We had a party of 6 that were a little rowdy and raucous after a day at the wine festival, but our exuberance was welcomed by the restaurant and joined in by the staff. Had the salad and a filet, and dessert. would not pass up this restaurant if given the opportunity.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

It’s been several years since we’ve been here. Naturally, everything has changed. We were here with our birthday group of 10 on the Friday evening before St. Patrick’s Day. Alas, no green beer. I ordered a half dozen oysters on the half shell. They were so so, harvested from the Eastern Shore I was told. I also ordered the New York Strip steak. It came with caramelized red onion and fries. It, and the fries were delicious. My wife had the salad and vegan stack. She expected a stack of veggies and was disappointed in the small plate of veggies in sauce. It was something that could have been served as an appetizer. It was tasty though. Randy took care of the group very well. Others with the group enjoyed their meals. The restaurant was Nearly empty when we arrived at 6:30 but began filling up as the evening progressed.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

We went out of our way to head to The Green Onion for a Sunday brunch, having had a wonderful brunch there last year. It was a disaster. The staff couldn't have been less interested in our party of five. The egg dishes arrived cold. When there was a clear mistake with the order, the waiter argued with us until he was corrected by management. There was no apology and no attempt to fix the mistake. Tried repeatedly to reach out to management by phone with no success.Not recommended.