“Cold Food”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2016

We went to the Hampton Surfrider Restaurant lastnight, the wait wasn't too long, and the service was pretty good also. The problem we had with all 4 dinners, they were cold when they hit the table. The steak and crabcake combo was cold, the hushpuppies even worse. The wife had to send back her broiled scallops dinner because they were cold as well to have them heat it back up. There were four of us eating, but they really have to work on keeping the food warm before letting it come out to the table. Both of us were experiencing bathroom issues all night, and into today. I don't think we will be going back there anymore. When you spend $95 out for two people, you definitely expect warm food to hit the table. The baked potato, salad, and mixed drinks were good, but that was about it. The steak was supposed to be medium well, but came out so well done it was dried out completely.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed 8 May 2016

This is your standard mom and pop fried seafood restaurant except the crab cakes are spectacular. All crab, minimal fillet, no shell! As for their special broccoli, it's just steamed broccoli (a head of it) with hollandaise. Stick with the crab cakes!

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 18 January 2016

I had the crab cakes, which are really baked crab in a dish! SO this means not much filler, just yummy crab meat. I also had broccoli as a side, and it was good too. Definitely a place to try.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 3 October 2015

A Norfolk chain of Seafood resturants that are very enjoyable. Always good food, cold drinks, friendly service and plentiful food. There are several other locations through out Hampton and VA Beach.

Date of visit: December 2014
Reviewed 2 August 2015

This was my 2nd visit to the Surf Rider. I've been thinking about their crab cakes for over a year. I think they were better this year! Totally delicious! I ordered the 1 crab cake platter that comes with 2 sides. The sides were tasted fine but were nothing special. The meal was filling and I didn't have room for dessert. My dining partner had the crab cake sandwich. The sandwich was served with potato chips. I think the sandwich would have been more than enough. Our server was terrific. We enjoyed our meal and will return again next year.

Date of visit: July 2015