“Very Unimpressed”

Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Liverpool, New York
“Very Unimpressed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I recently stayed at this Holiday Inn with my family for 6 nights in April. In one room, there was dirty washcloths stuffed under the bed. In another, there was leftover food in the fridge. In both rooms, the floors were badly stained and the furniture was very dusty. Unfortunately, both of our rooms were situated right across the from utility closet where the housekeeping staff was extremely loud, often slamming doors. When I made my reservation, I was told that the only way to get adjoining rooms was to upgrade to suites, which I did. At check in, I was told they do not have any suites that adjoin, and that I could not downgrade back to a normal room. The staff was very unfriendly, with the exception of Bruce, who worked an overnight shift during my stay. The final straw for this hotel was after I checked out. Approximately 1 week after check out, I happened to be checking my bank statement and noticed an extra $300 charge (thank you, Holiday Inn for notifying me of this during my WEEKLONG stay). I contacted the hotel, and they said it was for a pet fee, which is great, but I did not have a pet with me. I have gone back and forth with their "assistant manager," despite several requests to speak w/ their GM. I work at a Holiday Inn in New York, and I would be disgusted if myself or my co-workers ever provided this inferior level of customer service to a guest, and then continued to argue with them about it. I cited several examples of how a pet could not have been in my room (including the night this alleged pet was seen, I was in my room the entire night) but the assistant manager refuses to refund this pet fee. Despite several upcoming trips to Norfolk, I will not stay here again. The only plus side to the room was that, when housekeeping was not boisterously loitering and slamming doors across the hall, the room was otherwise very quiet.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrea D
SHSCSGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Guest,

We are sorry that you had a less pleasurable experience at our hotel. Unfortunately we do not allow pets and as a Holiday Inn employee you are aware of that during the booking process and also the penalties that are incurred if broken. Also as an employee there are certain rules to stays that apply, many of which were not followed. Thank you for your review. We take Trip Advisor and any review seriously and will follow up with the proper channels.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bealeton, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

attended a training seminar here this week, many of the attendees were staying at the hotel and said it was 'ok' and breakfast was good too. however (all caps), the people who put on our presentation/training paid for a conference room for four days - everyday the staff was walking down the hall and laughing and carrying on loudly (all caps). the room they gave us was very cold(all caps) and i am used to being in an air conditioned space for work all day but this was cold enough to rate a jacket. (i know the instructor at least 2-3 times talked to the hotel staff about getting some heat turned on or the air conditioning temperature changed) the hotel will say it was another one or two day conference but on our last day of the course i was in they moved us to a conference room near the hotels human resources office and the noise level increase 10x making it much more frustrating trying to concentrate. the hotel had construction going on on the other side of the building no where close to where we were so that isn't a viable excuse for them. this was a complete exercise in frustration for the attendees and the speaker/presenter - i put this on the critique at the end of the course and I hope they do not have the course or any other presentations at this location.

Room Tip: it is an ok place to stay but do not book an event here if you want your attendees to be comfortable...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
SHSCSGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I am embarrassed to read that you has this experience here with us at this hotel. I can assure you that every piece of guest feedback we receive is taken seriously. I have shared this review with the staff today in our stand up meeting and expressed my disappointment in all that was mentioned. My apologies for your less then great experience with us during your meeting. We pride ourselves in our two main guest touch points in our hotel, our guest room and services and our meeting room/banquet facilities here at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport. Thank you for your review and this will be utilized as a training tool.
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We booked a king suite and a 2 double suite for one night. The rooms were large and inexpensive. The carpets were badly stained and furniture was worn, but the rooms were clean and comfortable. Beds were comfortable. Front desk service was friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was nice. Rooms were fairly noisy from air traffic in/out of Norfolk Airport, but air traffic was relatively low between 10pm and 6am. Hotel was easy to find from the airport.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
SHSCSGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. In your review we noticed that you mentioned some items that need attention. We hope that you will once again travel to the area and stay with us so that you can enjoy our renovation that is currently taking place and should be completed in late spring. We take great pride in servicing our guest and making sure their time with us is enjoyable, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

With close proximity to ORF, the property caters to those who need the use of the airport most. While the setting is urban and nondescript, it is directly across the street from the Hilton. All the amenities one might need during a stay are close, familiar restaurants and department stores are minutes away.
I found the property to be very clean and presentable; in spite of the bar area construction. Our room was recently updated and was pleasing with clean modern lines.
The floor plan of the room was well thought out and certainly not your typical. The property offered all the amenities a business traveler needs and everything a family on a budget wants: free Wi-Fi, computers in the lobby, fitness center, and free transportation w/in a 5 mile radius, pool, hot-tub, minutes to the airport, and free daily USA Today newspaper at your door.
All of the employees made us feel welcomed and as cared for as if we were staying in a Norfolk B & B! Caesar picked us up from the airport and was courteous and professional. He gave us the lay of the land and made a great ambassador for this Holiday Inn. Tameka at the front desk was equally professional yet we felt ‘hugged’ by her pleasant personality and warm smile.
This Holiday Inn is a great value and I highly recommend choosing this property if it suits your needs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Neilly R
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! we take great pride in servicing each and every guest not only with our amentites and hotel but with our people. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully look forward to seeing you again in the future. I will make sure this review is shared with the associates mentioned that helped impact your stay. Again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

So close, you can practically see the pilot flying the planes! We stayed here for a wedding, and drove to the hotel. I hadn't realized how close we were to the airport till I started seeing Southwest planes taking off - it felt like we were right next to the runway.

The hotel itself is nice; there is a very large lobby with lots of seating, the staff was pleasant, and our room was clean. The carpeting looked pretty worn, and had some noticeable stains, but the bed was comfortable. All we wanted was a good nights sleep, and other than the occasional airplane noise, we did get that!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank dohligee
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and chose us as your hotel. We hope to see you again in your travels and please come back to enjoy our renovated hotel once it is complete this Spring ! Safe travels!