All reviews tuna an older hotel enjoyed my stay front desk staff angelo amber housekeeping
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Came to this hotel for one night to do a local weekend event , and for the most part I enjoyed my stay , the staff was very helpful on getting me squared away , had a clean room with a nice clean bathroom also . Lobby looked inviting, and I noticed they had a restaurant (even though I didn’t get a chance to try it ). Right around the corner on Monticello ave you have restaurants and the MacArthur Mall within walking distance and also not far from Granby st. which is the local hip strip .For the negatives that I noticed on the other corner side of the hotel is the street called St. Paul’s Blvd which has a residential area that may seem a bit on the sketchy side for some . Now even though I liked my room , the walls at times did seem as it was weak to hold sounds from the room s next door , a couple of times I heard noises as it sounded as something was dropped or vaguely heard people talking. The other negative I had was that the hallway carpet on my floor seemed to be needing a change. Outside of the two reasons I’ve given , I would try this hotel again

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Angelo E, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you so much for letting us know what you thought from your stay with us. I am very excited to say that we will be starting a remodel and addressing your concerns including the hallway carpeting. We are a typical downtown hotel with mixed " neighbors" but our safety record is perfect with no incidents! I do hope you will come stay with us again and see our upgrades!
Thanks so much
Angelo

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Yuck. Went to check-in early since we had tickets for naval tour. The men's bathroom was gross, smelly with toilet paper on the floor at 9am. Having to ask for a key to the restroom should have been my first clue. In any case, we cancelled our plans to stay there overnight. I should have read the reviews before booking it. I am now out $235. Lesson learned.
We opted to keep driving north and skipped the naval tour. ($100 for 2 combo tickets. Expensive lesson learned.)

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Angelo E, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

I am so very sorry for your experience with us. We truly use these reviews for our training classes and will stress the importance of these issues. We will be starting many upgrades to the hotel this fall and would love for you to stop in and take a look if you are back in the area.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

This hotel has a wonderful location in downtown. The staff is friendly and helpful. The good part of the review ends there. Pulling in to the lot from anywhere but the front gate is a maze. A directional sign would be more than helpful. The front entrance has two ramps that were designed for golf carts or a horse and buggy. If you have anything larger than a mid sized vehicle be careful. A peak checkout time in the morning there was only one person at the front desk. The only reliable WI FI was in the lobby and no USB ports in the rooms. We were placed in a handicap room with a roll in shower, but the shower head was placed to spray across the shower so the bathroom flooded when you showered and as we showered the hot water came and went unpredictability. Our bed creaked loudly when you adjusted in your sleep. The A\C ran intermittently all night so we were cold or hot depending on the A\C cycle. All this was included in a $200 a night room. All I can say is stay somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your review. We do use these during training classes and take your information very serious. Parking lot is confusing and starting this fall we are doing a full hotel upgrade to include signage and better directions in the parking lot.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

So my wife & I booked this place for Friday July 20th. What a rip off. Seemed like a good deal looking online but pictures can be deceiving. Went to check in around 6:00 and waited on line for about 25 minutes to talk to someone. My wife and I have a pet dog and I was aware of the $100 fee to have the dog stay with us in the room. However it’s a Friday night and they have one elevator working lol. And we are on the 4th floor and there were like 2 parties going on in the hotel. So I was considerate and took the dog up the stairs when we checked in and down the stairs to take the dog out and then up again and down again once more when we checked out. They really could have waived the pet fee if you ask me but whatever. I did not see anyone working on the elevator throughout our stay into Saturday and was told by other guests the elevators were down for a couple of days. The room was mediocre, the bed was very uncomfortable and the neighborhood looked sketchy. Won’t be coming back.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Angelo E, Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

I apologize for the recent issues you had to encounter with us. I am a huge pet fan and I volunteer at a local no kill shelter so I totally agree with you.We have hired a great new elevator repair company and also we plan on a remodel starting this fall. If you are back in the area I would love to meet you and your pet and show you the improvements and if you stay again your pet fee is complimentary!
I appreciate your time
Angelo

Reviewed 30 July 2018

Don’t waste your money. Pay a little more and receive better service somewhere else! The staff was very unprofessional. The hotel smelled bad and the rooms, bathrooms were nasty. He staff did not try to help me when I suddenly had to leave due to a family emergency.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I apologize that we did not treat your situation with better care. Your review does get taken serious and we use them in our daily training classes. We are looking forward to the start of many upgrades coming to the property and hopefully can win you over to show you our hard work at improving.