“A Couple of Things to Consider”
Review of Saltine

Saltine
Reserve with OpenTable
Saltine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 856 Restaurants in Norfolk
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 32
Description: A street level seafood restaurant in Downtown Norfolk, Saltine offers a chic, airy space for diners to savor seasonal shellfish, seafood and spirits. Enhancing the locally-sourced menu, the restaurant's black distressed millwork, old-world detailing, and mosaic tile floors blend historical authenticity with modern elegance that flows from the dining space to the bar.
Reviewed 1 September 2018

I’ll just cut to the chase and say that the setting, the service (after they finally took our order-more on that later) and the food are all excellent, but there were a couple things that were somewhat annoying and the reason I only gave it 4/5 stars.

First, I checked TripAdvisor for good seafood restaurants in Norfolk and this was rated #1 so I booked a 2:45 reservation, (which was the only time available between noon and 5) thinking we’d have a late lunch. However, when we arrived at 2:50 we were told by the hostess that “the kitchen is in transition” and shown a bar menu which only had small plates and snack type foods. She asked if that was OK and, in response, I asked what choice we had? She just looked at me and apologized. To add insult to injury, we were seated and then had to wait 10-15 minutes while the wait and kitchen staff “transitioned” before anyone came out and even acknowledged us. But, from that point on, Kathryn, our waitress was very attentive. Both me and my wife had the lobster roll and a cup of seafood soup, both of which were excellent. The restaurant really needs to let people booking reservations via Open Table, in particular, know that lunch ends at 3pm.

The other pet peeve is that there was no information that I could find that indicated that the restaurant was inside the Hilton hotel. I must’ve driven around the block a half dozen times trying to find it before I finally stopped in front of the hotel and asked the bellman who told me it was inside! Had I known, we would have been early and could have possibly ordered from the main lunch menu although I’m not sure.

But, other than that (and now that I know where it is and to avoid going after 2:30 if I want lunch), I highly recommend it.

Date of visit: September 2018
MainNorfolk, Manager at Saltine, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Thank you for visiting Saltine and taking the time to leave a review. We understand your frustration and assure you the issue is being addressed. We would love to have you back anytime to try our lunch or amazing dinner menu. Feel free to email me directly at Nicholas.Pisula@themainnorfolk.com. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!!

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

Best place to eat in Norfolk, hands down! We were walking around the city and walked right into the Saltine. We were greeted by friendly staff and were seated in a comfortable booth. Love the atmosphere, excellent service and delicious food. Did I mention the delicious food?! Yum!! Our server Whitney was so accommodating and friendly. She made the whole experience a treat! Can’t wait to return!!

1  Thank X2727CXkarenr

Thank you for visiting Saltine and leaving a review. We are pleased to hear Whitney was able to make your experience with us so special. We will pass along the great feedback to her, as well as the culinary team. We look forward to your return! Thanks again!

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

When in the Norfolk area, Happy Hour can come with some difficult choices. Look no further! Saltine has one of the best Happy Hour menus in the area! We had such a great time before heading off to dinner! Mike and his team really set the bar high for customer service!

1  Thank taylor e

Thanks for stopping by for our amazing Happy Hour. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Wow! What a great first visit to new Hilton Hotel in downtown Norfolk. Boasting three restaurants including a 5th floor beer garden I was sure impressed. A small group of my friends gathered for a birthday dinner at Saltine located on the ground level of the hotel. Saltine offers a wide range of seafood and locally sourced oysters along with a beautiful craft cocktail bar. My friends and I grabbed drinks at the beer garden before heading down for dinner on a calm Wednesday afternoon. The restaurant had a nice size crowd, but we had a reservation so there was no wait to be seated. Emma was our server and she was very pleasant from start to finish. She told us of the dinner specials and fresh fish options for the evening along with oyster varieties from the raw bar. I was impressed with the iPads we were giving which included descriptions and pictures of the cocktails and dinner specials. It made selecting a cocktail much easier. Our group tried a few. My personal favorites were the Two Taquitos and Pushing Up Daisies. I also had a glass of Moët Champagne with the appetizer of raw oysters. We had a few varieties of oysters, but I do recall the Misty Points and Rappohannak River to be delicious. All were great so get the sampler and try a few. Next I had a Kale Salad, delicious. Some others had she crab soup and fried shrimp. Highly recommend. The birthday girl shared a Salt Cured Rockfish for her entree. It is the whole fish and does take a little while to cook. But the presentation was awesome as another waitress came to our table and de-boned the Rockfish table side and plated it for both guest. Dinner and a show! I had a fresh catch Wahoo dinner with various sides and another guest had the Duck special. I ate all of mine if that says anything. We did save room for dessert which I don’t know if they do this all the time, but the chef Brent came out to our table and presented us with the Chocolate ORB dessert. It was a chocolate ORB filled with ice cream. He laid out a piece of plastic on the table and covered it with various sauces, brownie pieces, cheesecake and the birthday girl “smashed” the ORB on the table and ice cream was waiting inside to be eaten. What a way to showcase a dessert. And you ate right off the table. Don’t fight your neighbor, but that dessert didn’t stand a chance of being leftover. The birthday was a success, we all had a great time and I’m sure we will be back to “smash” some dessert for the next celebration.

2  Thank akaChubz

Thank you so much for visiting Saltine and leaving a review. We are so pleased to hear Emma was able to make your experience with us so memorable. We will pass along all the great compliments to Emma, as well as the culinary team. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!!

Reviewed 27 August 2018

My sister, niece and Great nephew went to this restaurant for lunch, for my birthday. They were very accommodating, especially to the child. I asked for a Scotch Sour. It was just okay. It was pale and very light flavored.Not the usual flavors I was expecting. The food was good. I had the 1/2 & 1/2 lunch with an extra $5. charge for the lobster roll. Maybe worth an extra $2. It tasted very good but the lobster was shredded not chunked like it should be. My half Caesar salad had some brown edged pieces of lettuce and over ripe tomatoes. The others said their's was also, just good. The child's Bento Box was very good and the Calamari appetizer was delicious. Not that I expected anything, but they didn't offer anything special for my birthday. I might go back to try other items in the future, but there are a lot of other places to try.

1  Thank dianelA1825SZ

Thank you for visiting Saltine and leaving a review. We appreciate all the feedback as it only helps us improve and better serve our guests. We hope to see you again very soon!!