We spent three nights at Estalagem Ponta do Sol. We wanted somewhere peaceful for a quiet break. This hotel did not disappoint. Set on a edge of a cliff with unspoilt views overlooking the sea, this place is a delight to experience.
The hotel is meant for you to stay in, rather than just sleep in before heading out each day. There are different places for you to relax about such as terraces, poolside, balconies; as well as a number of bars, all with views of the ocean. Fancy an afternoon read, try the double loungers under huge umbrellas overlooking the sea.
Our taxi dropped us off at the hotel entrance which was the lift that takes you up the side of the cliff to reception. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and sat down to be welcomed properly (seems to be a feature of the Design Hotels collection).
The hotel has 55 rooms, with beautiful gardens in between. The rooms are large, bright and airy with either a balcony or a patio. The infinity pool looks out to the sea. Staff were very friendly and efficient.
Our days were spent floating between breakfasts with a wide variety of choices, poolside cocktails, stints in the jacuzzi and indoor heated pool, to a choice of four locations for dinner and playing pool in the games room with after-dinner drinks. Our first afternoon by the pool we couldn't believe how quiet it was, just the sound of the pool and the sea, even though there were a number of guests there. It was like an unwritten rule - you can talk, but don't ruin this tranquility. I'm not sure if it was the time of year, or the fact that this is not the sort of hotel you'd bring children to, but there was not a child to be seen or heard.
We didn't get round to using the spa facilities, too busy listening to podcasts by the pool, talking to staff, and soaking up the sun. There are levada walks, canyoning, whale watching and water sport activities available, but we weren't there for that.
Our last evening we visited the sister hotel for dinner, Hotel da Villa which is down in the village, a 3 minute walk away. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was vibrant, watching the world go by, especially as it was the night of the mayoral elections.
This is a wonderful place to visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The best way to define the concept that lies behind the Estalagem da Ponta do Sol is the idea of an escape hotel. It is set on the top of a cliff - a more spectacular location is difficult to imagine. The hotel is a result of the renovation of an old "quinta", and the goal was simple: to integrate the original buildings in a distinct, contemporary style. The architecture enhances the beauty of an already beautiful place and the atmosphere is simple and relaxed, yet sophisticated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Estalagem Ponta do Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estalagem Da Ponta Do Sol Hotel Ponta Do Sol
- Ponta Do Sol Estalagem Da
- Estalagem Ponta Do Sol Madeira