“Incredible!!!!!”

Bamboo One
Ranked #146 of 517 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 19 February 2017

Dim sum right here on the Peninsula. I thought you had to go to Virginia beach on the weekend or New York or Philly on week days to get dim sum. There is nobody pushing carts full of food around because it is a small place, but they have over 30 dim sum items that you can order ala-carte. The food is good and the service is incredible. The owner is the server and she has passion for her business and her customers. The restaurant, including the restroom was clean both times that I went.

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

Experiences I have had. Walk in to a dirty welcome mat coming apart. Dirty curtains. Sat at a sticky dirty table. I should've walked out at that. I called ahead because we were hungry and asked to put in the appetizer so it's done when we get there she said. "No". Yes I'm stupid for staying here. Only one other table at a restaurant on a Saturday night I should have got a clue. I come in and she rudely says ."sit down" there. Not "Hi welcome" .Ok dim sum is $3.75 for way too small portions. Tasted OK calamares had a sweet taste to them. Pho was dying for flavor anise soy ANYTHING. I had to ask her for a glass of water , she left everyone else w/o a drink. Except for the ones who paid for a sofa. My son ordered a bubble tea for $4.50 she brought him a mango smoothie when I brought it to her attention she said "that is a bubble tea". Lady I know what a bubble tea is. She brought out what was suppose to be won ton soup. When we told her it tasted like pure fish sauce ( not to mention the awful smell) , she said that's the way it is. We told her we didn't want it and she said , you want me bring you a pho soup like hers ( my beef soup) when we said "yes" she said ok she picked it up and came back three minutes later. We smelled it before we saw it. They took the won tons out and brought out the SAME SOUP!!! And then insisted it was different !! Insult to injury she gave herself a fifteen percent tip. Nightmare. Never go back .

Reviewed 19 November 2016

Have had lunch here several times and have always fount the food fantastic and the service super friendly

Reviewed 13 September 2016

I love Dim Sum and we are new to the area so we thought we would venture out and see some new places. Don't waste your time here.

1  Thank CourtneyandScott
Reviewed 18 August 2016

It's harder to find dim sum in this area than it is to find a needle in a haystack. There's probably a reason for that. Anyways, this is a Vietnamese restaurant so that should have given me a clue. This a obviously a mom and pop business and I was really hoping that it was going to be good. The restaurant is located in a small strip mall that looks run down but the interior of the restaurant was clean. We ordered the usual dim sum dishes - shrimp har gow, potstickers, spring rolls, etc. as well as a grilled chicken over rice noodle dish. The dumplings seemed to have home made interiors but mass produced dumpling wrappers. Unfortunately the dumplings were not as delicate, flavorful or filled with larger pieces of shrimp as we are used to. The stand out among the dim sum were the spring rolls. They were crispy and had a nice meaty interior. The rice noodle bowl was served dry with julienned cucumbers, lettuce, pieces of grilled chicken and peanuts sprinkled on top. It was quite dry and not very flavorful so my family put soy sauce, sriracha and chili paste on it. I can't comment on the Vietnamese food otherwise but it may well be very good. However, we won't be coming back here for dim sum.