“Good value and location”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Winlock, Washington
“Good value and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

During a family vacation we stayed here for three nights. We had two rooms...guys room and girls room. My wife and daughter stayed in one room and myself and my son stayed in another room. My wife complained of smelling cigarette smoke from the people out in the front of the hotel smoking...my son and I were on the back side of the hotel and did not have this problem. :)
The rooms were adequate...refrigerator, microwave, desk, TV, dressers...the furniture was a bit dated and worn, but still the room was well equipped and comfortable.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is great if you want to explore the surrounding area. There are many restaurants and shopping opportunities within a 10 minute drive of the hotel. We were connecting with a friend of my wife who lived in Yorktown and the hotel was very convenient for us to meet up with her.
My only complaint was that one day we left at about 8 AM and didn't return until about 3 PM and the room had not been cleaned yet. We left again at 5 PM and returned at about 9 PM and the room was finally cleaned.
I booked the two rooms for three nights on Priceline for 45% below the rack rate...it was a deal. :)

Room Tip: Don't get a room above the front entrance...it is where everyone goes outside to smoke...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay for three nights. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you stay with us next time you are in the area!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on a Sat night. The hotel is basic, but clean and comfortable let. The staff was helpful and friendly. If you are in this area, give this hotel a look.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Sail2fun
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Holiday Inn Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were friendly and helpful. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you stay with us next time you are in the area!
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed at Holiday Inn for our trip to Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. It was a nice location, centered right between them, and providing plenty of restaurants and shopping close by.

It was a very clean hotel, and the rooms were very modern. While the hotel was great, and there were no complaints, there is also nothing that really sticks out about it either.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed here for three nights (11/23-11/26) while visiting family in the area for the Thanksgiving holiday. First the negative: I reserved a suite with two double beds for my husband, me and our two children. I was pleased by the Trip Advisor rankings and the fact that they had a two room suite (which allows for flexibility of putting kids to bed earlier without having to tip toe around a single room while they sleep). I cancelled my reservations at a much fancier hotel in the City Center area because I wanted a suite (this was hard because I like luxury hotels).

My husband checked us in and when we got to the room, I saw that we had a king sized bed instead of two double beds. The reception staff had for some reason changed our room (the room number was crossed out and changed on our check-in envelope from room 109 to room 202). My husband said that the receptionist told him that the sofa was a double pull-out bed, so the kids could sleep in that bed. No problem we figured (we actually love sleeping in a king). Hours later when we were getting kids ready for bed we discovered that the sofa (which was a short sofa) was not a pull out bed!

I called the front desk and they sent up a cot. Also I received a text alert from my bank citing the hotel charge and noticed it was higher than my reservation price quote. I called the front desk to tell them that I didn't think I should pay a higher rate for a king bed room when I initially reserved (and preferred) a room with two double beds. She changed the charges on the spot to an even lower rate than my reservation.

The room was spotless clean and the king bed was so comfortable. They were a tad stingy on blankets though. The cot was not one of those thin ones, but a nice comfortable twin bed that folded easily enough to get out of the way. Still, the change of room type did cause some inconvenience as my daughter ended up sleeping on the sofa (not as comfortable as a bed). Luckily she spent two of the three nights sleeping at her cousins' house anyway (otherwise I would have insisted on a room change).

As for the rest of the stay, I can't say enough nice things for the friendliness of absolutely every employee there. The restaurant staff, the cleaning staff the receptionists as well as the maintenance staff were always outgoing with smiles and greetings every time we stepped foot into the lobby or passed them by on the hallway floors. Another bonus was the free hot cocoa and latte machine in the lobby. This was a huge hit when we had the cousins come to the hotel to swim in the pool---they had hot cocoa and came up to the room to watch a Christmas movie.

I will definitely be staying at this Holiday Inn when we go back to Newport News for future family visits. This time, though, I will insist on getting the right room from the start. Since everything else was so outstanding I'm assuming the mix-up was an anomaly.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank AVogt_11
Bristow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Lobby was inviting. Check-in was easy and fast. The room was thoroughly cleaned and everything in its place. The bathroom was reasonably spacious. No free breakfast. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The doors on the ends of the building are fire exit only. If you park on the side, you'll have...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family