“Think Twice Before Staying Here”

Extended Stay America - Newport News - Oyster Point
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed 16 October 2010

We were relocating to the area and needed a place for us and our animals. The price was good but otherwise the location was not. If you get there after the office has closed you have to call the night manager on a special phone and they did not answer and we had to try several times to reach them. The room itself was clean but tiny and we did not feel very safe. This hotel has many permanent residents who were friendly but gave the hotel a different atmosphere. Clean yes, Safe no. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiggertoo1111

Reviewed 31 May 2010

The moment that I pulled up to the room I was being wathced by hotel guests as if they were waiting to see what I was placing into the unit. Also there was a suspicious vehicle that circled the building multiple times that was filled with adult males. One of the men got out, ran up to a room handed something to a resident and then took off. There were also several non-residents that were throughout the property as well as a vehicle in a parking stall that didn't not have wheels and was on wooden blocks.

Outdated, single serve coffee pot, cheap silverware, toilet seat had what appeard to be dog bite marks on it. Bed was horribly uncomfortable ...

I ended up calling over 10 different long-term type stay hotels just to get out ASAP. Finally I had to rent a hotel for a night and then move again to a MUCH SAFER and CLEANER TownePlace Suites Marriott.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank technoranger
Reviewed 28 January 2009

I checked in late at night with my teenage son. I was totally creeped out by the front desk staff. I was scared to death to travel to the elevator that led to my room. I was happy to have someone with me being a woman. The elevator sounded like it was getting stuck as it made its way up the shaft. And as if I thought things couldn't get worse, I entered the room. Another smoke filled funky room. I was scared to sleep on the bed and considered sleeping in the car. I was so happy my stay would only be for a few hours. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN....even if I was desperate. This was the WORSE.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank MsOntheMove
Reviewed 18 June 2007

I am currently staying in this Extended Stay. If my company hadn't paid for the room I wouldn't be staying here. All of the other complaints I have seen from others have not been in vain:

1) Smelled like smoking room upon arrival.even though door says non-smoking.
2) Sheets won't stay on bed. Not to mention nasty stains on the covers.
3) Can't beg enough for them to clean the room once a week like they are supposed to. I finally gave in and asked the front desk for some help.
4) Bring slippers for walking on nasty floors. Catapillers are a constant threat.
5) Air Conditioner is so loud it will wake you up with the knocking.
6) TV is small and won't go below half volume so talking on the phone with the tv on is hard.

You get the picture. It is worth paying double or triple to stay in a halfway decent place, unless you are big on a camping type atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank extend666
Reviewed 9 April 2007

I travel 8 to 9 months of the year and I stay with Extended Stay America across the country because I stay for a week or more. This hotel has it all from excellent customer service to clean rooms. The staff really show that they care about you, I was having some issues finding my way around and the front desk lady I believe her name was Emoni helped me the entire time with what ever I needed. I also meet the Manager Mr. Callahan he is a very big asset to your company he was very professional and helpful also with all my needs. I will make sure I tell my company to stay with Extended Stay from now on.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business