“Very Comfortable and Well Located Hotel”

Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
London, England
“Very Comfortable and Well Located Hotel”
Reviewed 25 November 2007

With the exchange rate very much in my favour this room and hotel was very much a bargain for me.

The American Star ratings are completely different to European and although this is only rated as a 2 Star on Expedia, it is more like a 3 Star rating to a European.

The room was huge. It had a fridge and microwave, the former certainly being useful but with so many great restaurants in the States I wasn't tempted to use the later. Bed was comfortable and choice of hard or soft pillows but I used all of them anyway.

Bathroom very clean and a good shower.

Wireless facility in room or internet access in the business centre on the ground floor is what I used. While I was there they installed an extra computer as the one computer they had couldn't keep up with demand.

Excellent breakfast buffet with cold and hot selection.

Really friendly staff on reception and breakfast supervisor was nice too.

The hotel is well located for a number of good dining establishments and for a movie theatre which was great for me as a solo traveller as I needed somewhere to entertain myself.

I did get a smoking room even though I booked a non-smoking room but I have a feeling this was a fault with hotels.com as the same thing almost happened when I booked into the 2nd hotel of my stay. It may be worth double checking if you book this way. I'm sure I could have changed if I'd asked but I was so exhausted I just wanted to sleep.

Stayed November 2007
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 May 2006

We booked this hotel for two nights after reading the two previous reviews. We have stayed at several Hampton Inns before and this hotel was one of the least nice Hamptons we have stayed in. It is an older hotel and although it appears that they have rennovated, the grout and caulk in the bathroom was tired (discolored and/or peeling) and the refrigerator and microwave were older. I also got the impression that our room wasn't very clean. I was walking around and stepped on a fishing hook that was lodged in the carpet (luckily didn't get hurt), there was a used wash cloth draped over the shower curtain in the bathroom and finally there was a piece of trash behind the recliner. On the positive side was the standard Hampton Inn breakfast, which was good. Probably would not stay here again, there are plenty of other hotels around this area.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank xaby
Huber Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 5 March 2006

A fine hotel close to the Newport News airport. Free wireless connectivity but I didn't have a laptop on this trip. No problem, since there's a business center near the lobby with a computer, printer, etc. There's a nice breakfast buffet in the lobby but there are also several dining establishments nearby. We had a fine meal at the Second Steet Restaurant next door but if you eat there, bring your appetite! The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. You'll also find Burger King, Starbucks, and Bennigan's in the neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 November 2004

Great staff, wonderful amenities. Breakfast is a great bonus. Snacks/fresh coffee/tea all day. Clean pool, spotless rooms. Property located outside of Kiln Creek in upscale shopping mall. Convenient for business/personal travel to Newport News area.

Reasonably priced, so much so I was amazed while staying here.

Stay away from Days Inn Oyster Point. Have no idea why it's rated #1 in Newport News area. I'd place that one near the bottom unless you're used to living in a basement.

Stay here instead for the same price. You will be so very happy you did.

Ms. P. Gorden-Ozgul