Three years ago I fell in love with this place but there were definite "wrinkles" in the experience. This time it was pretty well faultless.
We took the rather cripplingly expensive Narmada Suite (as an indulgent consolation for having to cancel our whole trip to India last year) and it is certainly one of the finest rooms I have ever stayed in. Numerous windows and a "sit-out" all overlooking from on high the various pilgrimage scenes beside the holy Narmada river and filling the room with light. It was a place just to LIVE for a few days, with no great need of the various interesting excursions in the locality.
The food was generally excellent, though some (not me) bemoaned the thali-style service at dinner time. Kunta Bai seems to have grown into her role as the manager of all things domestic (rooms, meals etc) and gave us a warm and attentive welcome throughout our stay.
Unforgettable and certainly to be repeated (when we can afford it!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The majestic 250 years old Ahilya Fort sits on the edge of a cliff, high above the sacred Narmada River, surrounded by the beautiful and unexploited town of Maheshwar. The views over the river and ghats are exceptional. Replete with myths and legend, Ahilya Fort offers guests a rare chance to get off the tourist trail and an abundance of things to see and do. With the fabulous, deserted city of Mandu nearby and the famed island temple of Omkareshwar even closer, this is a place at which to spend time and relax but from which you can also explore the area, undisturbed by the other tourists – a stroll down through the town to the ghats is a must. The food is delicious and it’s all-inclusive so, once here, you pay for nothing – be it food, excursions or e-mail! The pool is lovely; terraces and shady areas abound; meals are taken in different areas of the fort; the charming rooms and tents have superb views, balconies & gardens; the weaving center here is famous nationwide. A boat trip at sundown is something you will never forget. Truly a memorable place where you could spend days or weeks!There are 10 bedrooms scattered around the premises and the rates include full board and all excursions. It is the most perfect base for visiting Mandu (1 hour away) and is just a 2-hour drive from Indore. It makes the perfect place to end or start a holiday, as there is so much to do. From here you may also visit Dhar, Baneshwar and Omkareshwar. Being a gourmet himself, your host Prince Richard Holkar has the highest standards and the food here is delicious. Staying here is like a time wrap as the village is still enclosed within the fort itself and is truly wonderful to explore in your own time. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Ahilya Fort Hotel Maheshwar
- Ahilya Fort Madhya Pradesh
- Ahilya Fort Maheshwar, Madhya Pradesh