It's romantic, magical, not touristy, a living fort that was inhabited by a historical legend. The people that run this place go out of their way to make it perfect for you. I cannot recommend this place enough. The food is superb, the service even more so. The mighty Narmada river flows by at a lulling current. Beautiful plants and different spots for daily lunch and dinner. The many many sights to see around will have to wait for your next trip - you will not feel like leaving this place your first time around (or ever). My wife and I went last week for our anniversary and they did a special dinner for us. imagine our surprise - just the two of us with a thousand little lights under the Ahilya sky. Mr. Holkar has truly resurrected a gem. Stand-up salute Sire. The real jokers in the pack; my modern day heroines are Aimee and Kunta behen. Ably assisted by Archana, Julie and Jung Bahadur. Take all the comforts of the present century and place them in a most secluded, romantic old fort with a view and you have Ahilya. Go now.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The majestic 250 years old Ahilya Fort sits on the edge of a cliff, high above the sacred Narmada River, surrounded by the beautiful and unexploited town of Maheshwar. The views over the river and ghats are exceptional. Replete with myths and legend, Ahilya Fort offers guests a rare chance to get off the tourist trail and an abundance of things to see and do. With the fabulous, deserted city of Mandu nearby and the famed island temple of Omkareshwar even closer, this is a place at which to spend time and relax but from which you can also explore the area, undisturbed by the other tourists – a stroll down through the town to the ghats is a must. The food is delicious and it’s all-inclusive so, once here, you pay for nothing – be it food, excursions or e-mail! The pool is lovely; terraces and shady areas abound; meals are taken in different areas of the fort; the charming rooms and tents have superb views, balconies & gardens; the weaving center here is famous nationwide. A boat trip at sundown is something you will never forget. Truly a memorable place where you could spend days or weeks!There are 10 bedrooms scattered around the premises and the rates include full board and all excursions. It is the most perfect base for visiting Mandu (1 hour away) and is just a 2-hour drive from Indore. It makes the perfect place to end or start a holiday, as there is so much to do. From here you may also visit Dhar, Baneshwar and Omkareshwar. Being a gourmet himself, your host Prince Richard Holkar has the highest standards and the food here is delicious. Staying here is like a time wrap as the village is still enclosed within the fort itself and is truly wonderful to explore in your own time. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Ahilya Fort Hotel Maheshwar
- Ahilya Fort Madhya Pradesh
- Ahilya Fort Maheshwar, Madhya Pradesh