We just spent three fabulous days at this historic fort which has been turned into a superb hotel. We received a warm welcome from Archana, the lovely manager, the staff and service were terrific, and our room was serene and comfortable. Our host, Prince Richard Holkar, was delightful company, as well as a gifted cook and the delicious meals reflected his great taste. Even my surprise birthday cake had a special flavor! We spent hours in the big swimming pool, surrounded by gardens and ancient trees and after a sunset boat trip on the beautiful Narmada, it was a treat to have champagne on the spacious terrace overlooking the river and the countryside.We all felt so at home and hated to leave and can't wait to come back to the most relaxing and charming place I've been to in India. Thank you, Ahilya, for a most memorable birthday and I give you the highest recommendation!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The majestic 250 years old Ahilya Fort sits on the edge of a cliff, high above the sacred Narmada River, surrounded by the beautiful and unexploited town of Maheshwar. The views over the river and ghats are exceptional. Replete with myths and legend, Ahilya Fort offers guests a rare chance to get off the tourist trail and an abundance of things to see and do. With the fabulous, deserted city of Mandu nearby and the famed island temple of Omkareshwar even closer, this is a place at which to spend time and relax but from which you can also explore the area, undisturbed by the other tourists – a stroll down through the town to the ghats is a must. The food is delicious and it’s all-inclusive so, once here, you pay for nothing – be it food, excursions or e-mail! The pool is lovely; terraces and shady areas abound; meals are taken in different areas of the fort; the charming rooms and tents have superb views, balconies & gardens; the weaving center here is famous nationwide. A boat trip at sundown is something you will never forget. Truly a memorable place where you could spend days or weeks!There are 10 bedrooms scattered around the premises and the rates include full board and all excursions. It is the most perfect base for visiting Mandu (1 hour away) and is just a 2-hour drive from Indore. It makes the perfect place to end or start a holiday, as there is so much to do. From here you may also visit Dhar, Baneshwar and Omkareshwar. Being a gourmet himself, your host Prince Richard Holkar has the highest standards and the food here is delicious. Staying here is like a time wrap as the village is still enclosed within the fort itself and is truly wonderful to explore in your own time. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Ahilya Fort Hotel Maheshwar
- Ahilya Fort Madhya Pradesh
- Ahilya Fort Maheshwar, Madhya Pradesh