All reviews the main lodge elements restaurant chef's table sporting clays horseback riding south gate golden eagle fire pit blue ridge suite disc golf clay shooting spa treatments luxury resort stables saloon fly fishing mountain home fairway cottage
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I surprised me husband with a weekend away at Primland for our one year wedding anniversary. I called and spoke with Chastidy who helped me plan everything. She was very helpful and made planning this trip a breeze. It truly lived up to its name and it was even more beautiful once we got there and saw the views. The lodge is beautiful and the design throughout is very well put together. It was a little too "modern" for my husband who is an avid hunter and is used to going to more rustic hunting lodges but he thought it was still nice. Our room was amazing and had a great view of the blue ridge mountains. The activities were great. We did a round of sporting clays and five stand which were both challenging. You can tell that there is a lot of thought and care that goes into setting up the clays field. We had one of the nicest trappers named Lauren who was so sweet and took us around the clays field. Sammie also joined us who was just as nice and helped with the five stand. Saturday morning we went pheasant hunting with Chuck as our guide and had a great time. The pheasant hunt was challenging and I think it was just a bit too early in the season to hunt in some of the fields. We had great weather but a little just a little too hot for hunting. We were told that late November/early December is the best time to go. But nonetheless we had a great time being outside and hunting with Chuck. I can honestly say I have never hunted in a place where I have the blue ridge mountains all around me. Saturday afternoon we went on a 3 hour ATV tour, which I thought might be too long. I was wrong, it was the perfect amount of time and we got to see the most beautiful views and drive though some beautiful locations. Our Guide was Carl and he was extremely nice with alot of knowledge about Primland. We drove over 30 miles!
FOOD: Elements was not our favorite. The little bit of food that we did get was good but it just wasn't very much food.
We had lunch 2 days in a row at the 19th hole and the food was pretty good. Our last night there we ate at the Stables (this is where we heard other people say you could get a normal sized meal). We both had 2 ribeyes (as big as our heads) with a shallot butter on top with asparagus and mashed potatoes on the side. Now thats what we were waiting for! After a long day out hunting and driving around on an ATV, we wanted something substantial and we got it. For dessert we got ice cream with apple pie. Delicious!
Overall we had a fantastic time and really enjoyed our stay. We both were very impressed with all our guides and how friendly each one was. Thanks primland for a great weekend!

Date of stay: October 2010
1  Thank tanzanite00
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Primland exceeds every travelers requirements and desires for a spiritual and
relaxing stay..
Great facility, delicious food, varied wine selection and attentive wait staff.
The spa treatment and attendant was one of the best I have ever received.
My facialist Brenda exceeded all expectaions with attention to my selections of service.
Beautiful views from every room of the Blue Ridge mountains.
The golf couse was one of the most difficult in execution but spectacular in layout
and views.
Looking forward to a return trip!

Date of stay: October 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2010

We highly recommend The Lodge. It was clean, comfortable, elegant and beautifully decorated. The food was wonderful and the service was superior. We were treated like royalty by the staff. This was the best experience we have ever had at a resort. The view from our room was spectacular.

Reviewed 1 September 2010

PROs... gorgeous resort, incredible golf (perilous for beginners!) - perfectly maintained course, stunning views, fabulous meals at Elements - the Colette du Boeuf is beyond delicious and service is tremendous, lovely cottages, fun ATV trip, the best spa treatments ever - I highly recommend Brenda... she is topnotch! Great pulled pork sandwiches in the boxed lunches for the golfers --- ask for barbecue sauce if you like it, as there isn't any on the pulled pork. Beautiful night sky... the stars are so much brighter and the Milky Way is easily visible. We saw shooting stars and satellites --- just an amazing experience. Spend some time out on the huge deck at the lodge - the views are lovely!

Observations... hardly any guests were there except maybe 15 other people on Saturday, but we enjoyed the peace and the R & R. We were the only two on the golf course on Monday, and loved that as well! Of the four restaurants, only Elements and The lodge grill room were open. The Stables Saloon and the Woodlands Grill Room were not available for meals, probably because so few people were there at the end of August.
If you take the Astronomy Tour of the dome/telescope viewing, hopefully everything will be working when you go. Nothing functioned when we were there.

Notations... some of the info on the website is inaccurate, maybe because they are making changes since opening not too long ago. There is no ATM there, so have some available cash.
Make sure to go over details of any activities before you go - for example, if you are new to fly fishing, maybe make sure you have your own guide instead of one guide for two people. Reason --- you'll be split up with the guide running back and forth between you. If you've never shot a gun before, take a lesson before doing sporting clays. I wish I had, but it was fun anyway.
If you stay in the cottages, be careful driving the golf carts at night. There are no headlights, which can make for a scary but fun ride up and down the gravel path in the dark. If you feel tall grass on your legs, you've left the path :<}
There are closets in the cottages, but no dresser for clothes or luggage rack for your suitcase. Not a big deal --- we just kept our suitcases on the floor.
If you're thinking of bringing a special bottle of wine for a celebration in the restaurant, don't. Apparently it's illegal to bring your own wine and pay a corking fee in Virginia.
They have plenty of wine there, so just order a bottle.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

If you are trying to impress your mistress or girlfriend, and the bills are being paid by a government/ coporate expense credit card or from somebodies trust fund account, the experience may remind you of the glamorus safari lodges of East Africa. Unfortunately, our personal experience was dismal. The August heat and need for pet freindly considerations was a disaster among other misses. The pet friendly cottage was unkempt, and the wine glasses fron the dishwasher had retained lipstick. The docorum of this cabin was 1970s, and reflected what you would expect from a state park rental cabin. Without central air and noisy multiple fans, could not sleep comfortably, yet the cabins fees ($375/night) don't reflect this rustic reality. We had massages in the spa, great atmosphere, but the the steam shower and sauna were not turned on. Quality of messages was very inferior to expectations of the wounderful experinece we had had at the public spa at Saratoga Springs, NY.
We had hoped dinner at the Elements would make up for all these shortcommings, but unfortunately another BIG disappointment. For the $225 dinner, we left hungry, trying to consume all of the available slices of bread just trying to feel satisfied. A few courses had some taste, but only a few bites were available. Overall food quality reminded my of the late 70', early 80' attempts by the airlines to deliver a gourmet meals onto your dropdown seat table. Shouldn't we be at least getting the same experience as out favorite restrauant at home, like Frankie Rowlands in Ronaoke? Without sufficient food intake, the wine made both of us irritable, one of us especially, unfortunately. We should not have to eat a meal before fine dinning to avoid THAT problem. Imagine a full day of hunting or golf only to be served limited rations!
Not being use to the window air conditioner noise, or noisy fans, I got no sleep that night, and had had too much disappointment and fatique to shell out $175 for golf. Didn't feel better until we left that morning and got an excellent breakfest in downtown Floyd! On a positive note we we not charged for the one night for the cabin due to the deficiencies, which required a housekeeping correction bewteen the spa and dinner on that first day. Conclusion: I don't mind the expensive rates, but the accomendations need to be better than my personal residence, and the food needs to be better than my wife's cooking. Primland's expensive rates do not match our high expectations! I think that the only way Primland will ever succeed is to develop a food service that far exceeds
that offered by competing luxuary resorts!

18  Thank Chuck58134
BBradbury, General Manager at Primland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2010

Dear Guests and Future Guests of Primland,
While at Primland, your complete satisfaction remains our highest ideal. Please know that we have responded appropriately to the auther offline with a refund based on this new information and an offer for them to return as our guests one day. We truly appreciate the gift of your honest feedback.

Yours sincerely,