All reviews the main lodge elements restaurant sporting clays chef's table south gate horseback riding golden eagle fire pit blue ridge suite disc golf spa treatments clay shooting stables saloon fly fishing luxury resort fairway cottage mountain home
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We spent 3 weeknights at Primland with our two teenage boys, taking advantage of a summer escape package. We stayed in the Cardinal East "cottage" located a quick golf cart ride away from the lodge. This cottage is situated with two other houses on a cul-de-sac overlooking the golf course and lodge and with a private 3-hole putting green my boys enjoyed. It had a surprisingly ample kitchen (four burner gas cook-top, dishwasher, toaster, mini-fridge with ice maker, no freezer, good cookware and dishes)) but only a Keurig coffee maker with plenty of assorted K-cups. I asked for a drip coffee-maker and was promptly brought one. The living room and bedroom (2 queen beds) both are huge and beautifully decorated with high-quality leather furniture and two large-screen tv's. The bathroom had heated floors (nice even in the summertime!) and a large soaking tub, double sinks, and standing shower. We never heard a peep from our neighbors. The gardener was apparently on strike or something because the weeds were as big as the landscape plants, but I helped out a little with that.

Food: Yes, the food is expensive but we enjoyed all our meals with the exception of our waaay-overpriced simple lunch comprising of sandwiches, fries and tea at the south gate grill for nearly $90. Elements gets very creative with their menu item descriptions e.g. the "apple dust" on my mixed greens salad. I never figured out what that was. The fresh fish was excellently prepared. Breakfast was also pricey but delicious with large portions. The casual 19th Hole offered more kid-friendly options and was great for lunch and dinner both, not to mention a mid-afternoon ice-cream treat (or adult beverage). Some reviewers mention going off-property for dinner but it would be a long drive. One tip I did get was to visit the Chateau Morrisette winery and eat at their restaurant one night. I don't think it's very far.

The American Indian themed spa is small but has an extensive treatment menu. I enjoyed the 90 minute signature facial ($192 with automatic 20% gratuity!). Each guest is introduced to "animal medicine cards" and asked to randomly select a card to later read about in the relaxation room following their treatment while sipping on tea and munching on a seed and dried fruit mix. The indoor pool and hot tub area is beautiful. We had the pool to ourselves each evening which was perfect with two boys splashing around. Just outside the pool is a lounging area with a fire pit and benches where it would be fun to roast smores in cooler weather.

Activities: I promised to put a plug in for Bob Wray and his tree-climbing activity which I did with my 16 yr old. Good mother/son time! Bob is a great teacher and was very patient with us. No pressure! You can choose to climb 20 feet up and take a siesta in the hanging chair, or go as far up as you would like. We topped out around 60 feet. My son got eaten alive on his arms by who-knows-what but they left me alone. Bring bug spray. We also did the 2-hour ATV ride through the property. We were never on paved roads as one reviewer said he was. We had to stick to low (20mph) speeds and easier trails because of someone else along for the ride who wasn't too comfortable driving, and we saw only a couple of turkeys. We took our bikes along but the loose gravel trails are too difficult and steep to ride on for less-experienced riders as I am. I regrettably didn't get to check out but one hiking trail which was very well maintained. An early-morning walk along the back 9 on the golf cart path was very enjoyable.

My husband was itching to play golf though it looks to be a very difficult course. That's one reason we will be back with friends...SOON!

Room Tip: The Fairway cottages are super nice and in a great location. I didn't see any remote cabins that looked half as nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank FuzzyDove
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Primland is an amazing place. The resort is surrounded by acres and acres of wilderness. You look out at forested mountains all around you. It is certainly not inexpensive, but we found it well worth the price.

We had Woodpecker West cottage, which is located near the 10th green of the golf course, a minute or two away from the main lodge by golf cart (which is supplied for your private use during your stay). Woodpecker East is much smaller, so if you really want something special, go for the 2-storey West. It is rustic on the outside but very luxurious on the inside: separate shower and tub, 2 flat-screen TV's, one on each floor, and electronically operated shades on the enormous windows. There's a full kitchen and a half bathroom (toilet and sink) on the main floor. The view of the lodge is lovely.

The food is very good in Elements--the main dining room at Primland. Portions are not large, which is the norm with modern cuisine. We liked everything we tried on the menu but service is a little slow, especially at breakfast. The breakfast buffet was offered on only one morning, and we had quite a wait for waffles or pancakes. It shouldn't take half an hour to make a waffle. Service was a little faster and more professional at dinner. We also dined one night at Stables Saloon, which is down the road a couple of miles from the main lodge. It was less formal but still pricey. For the ambience and quality of food, I would say $34-$40 for entrees is a little high.

The Highlands golf course is amazing. I probably lost a dozen balls in two rounds, but it was still well worth playing. It is not a course for beginners. The fairways are very narrow and the green complexes are well-bunkered with lots of slope to the greens. There are a few blind shots, but on the whole the course is nicely laid out with big changes in elevation. You would not walk this course.

Primland has a lot of other activities. We walked one of the trails that started behind the 11th tee and that was very scenic. We also went to the observatory, which was interesting for the lecture but disappointing that we couldn't actually look through the telescope. The images are transferred onto a computer screen, so you are not really looking at anything directly. The $70 charge for the lecture was a lot more than we were expecting.

On the whole, Primland was a great place. We saw lots of deer on the road in and the staff had seen bears on the road early one morning when we were there. Fishing and hunting are also on offer, but I couldn't see the point of fly-fishing in the 90-degree heat of the day. If you like natural beauty but also want to feel pampered, Primland will appeal.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gzowski
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I love this place. 12000 wooded acres that is larger than Bermuda. My wife and I came here last year and we could not wait to return. The golf course is is the best in the state. The only mountain course that I've ever played that has no blind shots. It is hard and fair. Condition is excellent. The Lodge is very beautiful but stay in one of the cottages if you get the option. Elements restaurant is excellent. I had the filet last year and spent the rest of the year thinking about it. I got it again this year and it did not disappoint. This year we did the ATV tour and had a great time. I hope I get to return soon.

Room Tip: Think cottages
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is our 2nd time staying at Primland and it is truly the most amazing mountain resort we've been to. I can't say enough wonderful things about the service — from the servers, to the front desk to the excursion folks ... they are all amazing. Thanks to Marcus, Chase and the lovely bartender gals for going the extra mile for us to make our 'theatre experience' so special. The views and extra curricular activities make it a great weekend getaway. The golf & hiking was challenging with great scenery & the clay shooting excursion was WELL worth the money. DEFINITELY, go to The Stable Saloon for dinner ... it's offsite about 10 minutes w/a smaller menu but it's a great experience and they will shuttle you there. On a side note, if you are looking to save money, this is not your place. You are paying high-end prices for a high-end resort — we try to make it our anniversary getaway each year. Also, the drive up the mountain is about 20 minutes of winding roads so come well-prepared if you have a weak stomach. However, once you get there, it's all worth it! Overall, it gets an A+ in my book.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephanie A
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Stayed here a few days before Christmas. The Lodge & rooms are absolutely gorgeous. We had a very spacious Blue Ridge Suite, & greatly enjoyed the lobby with its magnificent X'mas tree.

The spa facilities & treatments were marvelous, as were the choice of other activities. I must specially commend Marcus, our skeet shooting guide. He was very patient & informative.

The food was all around above average & delicious, even in-room dining. However, for a high end resort, I felt that the service could use a bit more polish. The staff however, were all very friendly. They just seemed to need tighter management.

My family and I are definitely returning, & we are actually planning 2 trips already- 1 next month & then again in the Fall.

• Stayed: December 2011