All reviews the main lodge elements restaurant sporting clays chef's table south gate horseback riding golden eagle fire pit blue ridge suite disc golf spa treatments clay shooting stables saloon fly fishing luxury resort fairway cottage mountain home
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Four couples shared two houses at Primland for a weekend in July,2011. First the good news. The property is very beautiful an the public areas of the Lodge are stunning. We played golf ; the course is extremely well maintained and very attractive. We used the spa services; the Spa infrastucture is top notch and each of us who had a treatment was very impressed. How could so many positives turn to the negative? Well, it has to do with the details---unfortunately, too many of them. I will preface the listing of problems with a caveat----the following items could each individually be overlooked; however, when you are paying top dollar for a high end experience (think Ritz Carlton), the number of mistakes tends to wear you out. We arrived two hours early and were told at reception that it was OK to leave some perishable food items at the house along with our bags even though the cleaners were just about to clean one of the the houses Well, reception did not tell the cleaners, so they skipped over that house by mistake which led to a four hour delay. We were told at the lodge that it was our mistake as we should not have left anything at the house---even though another staff member had advised earlier to go ahead and do so. We were advised by phone when the reservations were made that we would have golf carts at the houses so that the couples could visit each other between houses----none was provided until we had to ask three times. There were four adults in each three bedroom house, but only two bathrobes were provided---a bit awkward when the baths are not all ensuite. One member of our party phoned in advance of our stay to make an appointment for the pilates class as advertised---nobody ever called her back. Another of our party called in advance to schedule the as advertised nature walk for a Sun moning. Having not gotten a resonse, she tried two more time and gave up. Low and behold, we received a call on Sunday morning when some of us were in bed telling us that our guide was at the Lodge waiting. Needless to say we had to cancel as we thought nothing was ever scheduled. Four out of eight of us signed up for the golf package ---which included one dinner and one breakfast for four. Without disclosing the difference, resort management set up all eight of us for dinner at their "saloon" rather than their main, atmospheric restaurant at the Lodge. We were determined to have a good time so we had drinks and dinner, and at least two $100 bottles of wine in an atmosphere looked more like a college dining room---not exacly good value. Finally, when I mentioned to my wife on check-out that at least the golf facility was first class, my golf clubs were given back to me caked withy dirt and I had to carry the clubs to the car----again, not that big a deal in many places, but my very high expectations of Primland left me disappointed. I could go on with some other minor disappointments but I have already been too lenghty. In closing, I will say this on the positive side. With only one exception, I thought the staff at Primland was very warm and friendly. They clearly have the right intent and the right attitude. I have to chalk up the disappointment to poor systems, perhaps training and supervision? Who knows.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
15  Thank boydmurf
mbouvier, General Manager at Primland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear Guest

Unfortunately, when people travel as a small group of 4 couples, it is sometimes difficult to ensure that expectations are not missed and that information is fully shared and communicated to all parties. Although our Mountain Homes, like the one you booked, are charming with extraordinary views they are not at the same standard as our Lodge rooms, which are more of a “think Ritz Carlton” product at more of a luxury price point. It is always our goal to meet or exceed our guest’s expectations and we sincerely regret any misinformation that may have been communicated within your group.

Security reports that your party was greeted at the gate at 12:45 pm, over 3 hours previous to our published check in time of 4 pm. At that time you were asked to proceed to the Lodge and enjoy the facilities while you waited. At 1:30 pm we received a call from your cottage stating that the phones were not working. (For control purposes, in-room phones are not activated until a guest is checked in.) And it was then that we were made aware that because your vehicles were in the driveway of the unit our housekeeping team assumed the house was occupied and not available for cleaning. They moved on to an available unit. And, due to this confusion your cottage was not fully clean until 5:30 that evening, a 90 minute delay from our standard of 4pm.

It is our policy not to allow club cars on the roads at Primland and our reservations agents make this known anytime one is requested. The unit you occupied is at least 3 miles from the Lodge and driving on that road in a club car is not advisable. These carts are only available for guest use with the rental of one of our Fairway Cottages and none other. Your party was so upset about the lack of availability of a golf cart that our manager made an exception and had carts delivered to your units, at no charge.

The Stables Saloon is our casual dining venue focusing on local flavor and products. While we never assume to make automatic dining reservations for any guests, we are sorry that the restaurant did not suit your dining needs that evening. We also apologize for the lack of follow through you experienced with your pilates and hiking appointments is unacceptable and does not meet our standard at Primland and we sincerely apologize for this inefficiency.

At Primland, we take our guest's satisfaction very seriously and no matter what the source of concern, we will immediately attempt to recover the experience for the guest. It is unfortunate that you did not bring these items to our attention while you were here so we could have the opportunity to better accomodate you. Once again, please accept our apologies for your disappointment.

Mara Bouvier

Reviewed 23 July 2011

We live about and hour and a half from this gem. Each time we visit, we try something new. Each time we are amazed at another facet offered. We have played golf in and out of season and are blown away by the beauty and challenge of the highland course. the spa is incredible for the size of this resort. We never feel cramped or herded like large resorts tend to make us feel. The quality of scenery, the architecture, and activities is matched with personal attention. The food is locally sourced and prepared by a chef from the Greenbriar. She even hand makes the chocolates for turn down service! World class shooting facility, I learned to shoot a shot gun one afternoon. Great instruction, I never touched a gun in my life and I was able to break several clay birds. Have yet to get a birdie on the golf course, but it doesn't matter, my husband won't let me keep score anyway. He says a resort course this special can't be ruined by a bad score. Looking forward to our next stay in the treehouse. Make sure you get a room with a balcony. Fairway cabins are incredible. I have not stayed in one of the older houses, but I have heard they are nice. You get what you pay for...peace and quite!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Erinafter5
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Primland was absolutely fabulous! The SPA experience was one I will not soon forget. We were completely pampered by top professionals. The services offered in the SPA are overwhelming. Fitness area, womens spa area TOP of the line. The lodge rooms are beautifully decorated with everything you could or would ever need in the room. Beautiful and breathtaking veiws from all points of the lodge. There are cottages and small homes also available that we did not even have time to see. Amazing walking and hiking trails, ATV riding, horseback, swimming, excellant golf experience!! Food was above average, not excellent. Service was exceptional in all dinning areas. A little slow in the Fine dining area. I will be going back in June most probably!

Room Tip: Any room you choose will be beautiful! Each kind of room has its specific price.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank smash012
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We can only echo what has been said by others: magnificent setting, beautiful lodge, gracious and attentive service, rooms that are beyond comfortable, delicious food, and great golf. As has also been mentioned, the food is pricey, but we had a package that included breakfast and dinner that was a very good deal. We will certainly return.

Room Tip: Check out the special promotions and packages.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MJCharleston
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We just returned from a weekend at Primland and can't wait to return! We stayed in a mountain suite in the main lodge and the room was incredible. We had a nice living room with small dining table, a large bedroom, and 1.5 bathrooms - so it was very spacious! The beds were probably some of the most comfortable we've had in a hotel and we were able to make the room really dark, so we slept great! The housekeeping was perfect - I don't think they missed a single thing. The room was gorgeous and the pictures on their website don't do it justice. We had a small balcony with breathtaking views of the golf course and mountains.

The staff here are very warm and friendly and we found the service to be great! We traveled with our 2 small children and were a little concerned that we might be out of place, but everyone made us feel right at home. Everywhere we went, staff members would greet us with a smile and a friendly hello - and would make sure to pay extra attention to the kids (which they just loved!). One example of the great service was when our 4 year old had a small cut on her finger and made mention to me in the lobby that she needed a bandaid. Within a minute or so, one of the front desk staff returned with a bandaid for her - without even being asked! Another example was when our 2 year old spilled a little bit of water on his lap while at dinner. Two staff members were near our table when it happened - one of them asked if it would be okay for her to pick up our son for a minute while the other changed out his seat cushion. He loved the attention and we appreciated their kindness.

According to my husband, the golf course is a great combination of difficult and picturesque. During his round, he saw several deer and even some wild turkeys!

I was fortunate to find some time to enjoy the spa. My facial was really wonderful. I'll admit that the signature massage was just okay, but the experience was still great. The spa area is really beautiful and relaxing - and their relaxation room has gorgeous views of the mountains outside.

I agree with some of the other reviewers that the food is a little on the pricey side - but the quality is excellent. My only complaint is that food service is a little on the slow side, which probably wouldn't have been a problem had it just been the 2 of us, but with a 4 and 2 year old, we always look for quick service. Fortunately, we had plenty of space just outside to walk the kids around while we waited.

I can't give Primland a rating of anything less than 5-Excellent. We had a wonderful time and will absolutely try and return soon. As a tip - if you book within 3 days of arrival, they have an "on a whim" package with really great rates!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family