All reviews the main lodge elements restaurant sporting clays chef's table south gate horseback riding golden eagle fire pit blue ridge suite disc golf spa treatments clay shooting stables saloon fly fishing luxury resort fairway cottage mountain home
Reviewed 6 March 2011

My husband and I just got back from a one night stay at Primland. It was rainy and foggy so we didn't get to go hiking as planned but we really enjoyed our stay. The Piedmont suite was beautfully appointed and very clean. Staff was friendly and our chef tasting menu at Elements last night was great along with some wonderful wine. We are planning another trip and will bring friends and family along.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Primland is a beautiful mountain resort. The views were fabulous and the grounds well kept. My boyfriend and I stayed this past weekend in the Woodchuck cottage, 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Our cottage was very private with a hot tub and gas wood stove. Most every thing was clean with a few exceptions....turned on the ceiling fan in the living room and dust went everywhere (we had food on the coffee table at the time) and my socks were dirty after walking on the floor. The cottage was well supplied with the exception of the laundry detergent. All of the rooms were nice and well decorated. The master bathroom wall had been repaired but not repainted. The cottage had a grill that we used our first night. Not very big if you were cooking for a large family. Our biggest disappointment was the food at the restaurants. We had lunch at the 19th Clearing Pub for $68, a little pricey but good. Biggest disappointment was the food and atomsphere at the Stables Saloon. For $141, we had two steaks, dessert and two drinks. I must say, the Stables Saloon was one of the dullest places I have ever eaten. Like another reviewer, would rather eat at Frankie Rowlands. Best part of our stay was the couple's massage. Holley and Kelly were wonderful. Excellent massages with a flair for romance. All in all I would rate our stay as average.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rockinwksgf
BBradbury, General Manager at Primland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2011

Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure to welcome you to Primland ! Thank you for the honest feedback you posted here regarding your stay in Woodchuck, one of our Mountain Home properties. I have shared the posting with my staff, and we have addressed in detail each of the shortcomings you described. Thank you too for your feedback about your dining and spa experiences.

Please accept our sincere apologies for these lapses in our service. We regret disappointing you in any way and on behalf of my entire team, we endeavor to regain your complete confidence in us. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Primland as our guests one day. I am available at any time to help make the arrangements for you personally. My direct telephone number is 276.222.3807.

Warm regards from all of us at Primland,

Brooks Bradbury

Reviewed 4 January 2011

My husband, myself and another couple stayed at Primland for the New Year's weekend. I must say this is one of the most wonderful NYE we have ever had. We rented one of the cabins. The guys shot clays and the ladies went for a hike. The NYE dinner was magnificent. The service was impeccable and the staff was great. The band was wonderful! Lacey Green was the lead singer and sounded like a young Allison Kraus. On Saturday, we relaxed at the Spa. We had the best massages we have ever experienced. Please ask for Thea or Sandra. You will not be disappointed!

We are planning our Primland trip for next NYE!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2010

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend breather in late August for our first visit. The facilitiy is very modern and first-class. We had been on property for ten hours when I asked a staff member if business was doing okay since we had barely seen anyone since arriving. "Oh, Yes. We're nearly full up this weekend," was his reply. This makes an important point about Primland. It is designed to feel like your own resort. you will see people from time to time, but mostly, you feel like your're alone. Golf is one of the best available on the Blue Ridge. The proshop staff is top notch. Pay attention to slope rating. It's harder than that.

Spa is very well appointed. There is a Cherokee theme to the Spa that's a little stretched, but the staff is very professional.

We stayed in a fairway cottage which was excellently appointed (despite the claim of a full kitchen there is no stove).

Dinner in the lodge is four star. Dinner at the Stables is a little weird because we were one of very few patrons. The decor in the stables is a little lacking. On the whole, this was a dream excursion.

This is the best four-star resort within driving distance of Charlotte, NC.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2010

This is the most elegant, best designed, most tastefully appointed facility we have ever stayed in, by far. Building is LEED certified, and reclaimed wood has been used for most of the woodwork inside (red oak, wormy chestnut). Almost every detail has been meticulously attended to: fixtures, furnishings, lighting, linens, pool and hot tub, When it comes to the food, however, management is seriously off its game. The main dining room was not open when we were there, but we ate in both the 19th Hole pub and the Stables dining room. In both, the food was terribly expensive, portion sizes were scant, and the quality mediocre. Breakfast pancakes were $14, juice $4.00, full entree $18.00. Tiny sandwiches on buns so hard they were nearly impossible to eat were $15-$18.00. We spent $65 for three of these and two sodas. Dinner entrees were $32.00 - $42.00 for small portions, not especially well prepared. Desserts ($6.00) were skimpy and ordinary. Splitting two lower-priced entrees with our children, drinking water and two sodas, and indulging in four of the tiny desserts, we had a $113.00 bill. Never again. Ordinarily, facing a menu like that, we would have chosen to eat elsewhere, but since one drives more than six miles from the highway to get to the lodge, and there is nothing else nearby anyway, one is stuck with what Primland has to offer, at Primland's prices. The lodge is definitely worth the trip, but pack a cooler.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
BBradbury, General Manager at Primland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2010

Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure to have you and your family with us last week. Thank you for your honest feedback and for taking the time to share your comments about your stay. We were delighted to have you with us as a member of the Blue Ridge Parkway Association board meeting, and as such we gladly provided your accommodations at a nominal rate respectful of your volunteer service on the committee. In response to your comments while you were here, we also provided complimentary accommodations one night for two of your family members. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back one day, to regaining your confidence and to building a strong relationship. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,