“Massanutten Summit”
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
PA
“Massanutten Summit”
Reviewed 28 March 2008

I enjoyed staying at Massanutten.. The Summit is a very big suite full kitchen and dining area. Two bedrooms one a master with private bath and another with two twins...The living room has a pull out queen couch. ..Also we had a very nice two person hot tub which we enjoyed ... The suite was very clean and I am fussy..... The negatives are the walls are to thin and we where in a bottom unit and heard peoplle above us alot.. Another negative was that the furniture was wabbley the kitchen table,the end table, and even one twin bed good thing my husband brought his leather and fixed them.. At the resort they have a a indoor water park which the kids enjoyed...The minature golf was ok very boring course nothing nice about it at all.... The kids wanted to do some snow stuff but found it to be very over priced so we skipped it..

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank sweetpoison76
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Turkish first
Patuxent River, MD
Reviewed 23 March 2008

I am disappointed to read so many reviews which paint a negative image of Massanutten. To qualify my review let me paint the background.....
we stayed one week in a 2 BR Summit Hillside booked through AFVC (Armed Forces Vacation Club), last week of ski season. I am a middle aged, active duty sailor who has served 25 years. I have travelled quite extensively, both as part of my career and also as an avid vacationer. While I would agree that Massanutten does have too many "free vacationers" there as part of time share presentations, I would also have to say that the staff was nothing more than excellent. They were both very friendly and helpful. Perhaps I had an imaginary sign which idicated that I was not a "free vacationer", but more realistically, I was treated like anyone else.....I was treated very well.

The condo unit was nice....very clean and good-sized. Compared to hotel vacations there really is no comparison. Having a kitchen to make a meal or two saves money but also allows for some down time so that children are not continuously on the go. The views were wonderful, being way up on the mountain. Wild deer were grazing on the hill every night at dusk in front of our condo. There were plenty of activities for our daughters, (ages 6 & 10), and they said during kids recreation time they were treated well and they enjoyed themselves.

Whether skiing in the winter or golfing in the summer, there is plenty more to see and do at Massanutten than at most resorts. If you want the Ritz-Carlton, visit their website, book a trip and pay dearly for it. But if you want a family oriented vacation destination, consider Massanutten. There are plenty of units available through a variety of travel companies, without having to subject yourself to a time-share sales pitch. Travel smart and have fun.

• Liked — Activities
  • Disliked — Guests who were there from a "free" vacation giveaway program.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank SeaWarrior83
pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 12 March 2008

we stayeed at massanutten as part of a time share offer - the water park is for young children; everything else was VERY expensive. The resort itself is spaced out very far apart so you can't walk anywhere. The rooms are really dark (poor lighting). When we checked in, we were given totally wrong directions and got lost. The city of Harrisburg has pretty much nothing special. All in all, the town and resort are boring and I only recommend this to people who want to be secluded and plan on not leaving the condo room!

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank hhefzy

Travellers are raving about these McGaheysville hotels

ESVA
Reviewed 10 March 2008

There were only four slopes available at the time we stayed there, as first time skiers it was okay. The slopes are quite a hike from where the rental shop is, and with the ski boots on it was very difficult to walk up and down the wet/icy stairs, almost painful. The snow tubing was AWESOME, only complaint was the "lift", it was a very slow moving conveyor belt, it took almost fifteen minutes to get from the bottom of the hill to the top. Horseback riding was AWESOME as well, we took a one hour trail ride through the woods with no restraints. As first time horseback riders it was scary but the horses knew exactly where they were going and all they needed was a little guidance. That was the best thing about the trip. There were no cameras allowed on the trail, afterwards the trail guides took one picture of you on the horse at the stables, that sucked. The facilities were horrendous; if you're looking for a nice, warm, cozy ski lodge like you'd see on tv DO NOT GO HERE, it was disgusting with trash on the floors, lockers everywhere, there was an dingy odor, it was like a school cafeteria with a large black grimy mattress as the "lounge area". The Fareways restaurant was nice but the service and food was not; it took thirty minutes for our waitress to put our breakfast order in, there were only six other tables taken and the food was not up to par. We tried again for dinner and the bartender was slow and purposefully ignored us and the seafood tasted processed. The Waterpark is mostly for the kids, there was nothing soothing/relaxing about it.

• Liked — We pretty much had the hotel to ourselves, never saw anyone else but housekeeping.
  • Disliked — The smells.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank ashrsn
Manassas, VA
Reviewed 7 March 2008

We were called up one night by Pappa John's Pizza saying we had won a ski vacation getaway. The restraunts in the DC area had been having a vacation givaway contest (fill out the form, drop it in the box, hope you win kind of thing), so we'd done it while waiting for our pizza. When the call came saying we won, we were shocked and excited. The only problem was they weren't very clear on what we'd won. We had to put down a $75 deposit to hold the vacation, but also were required to attend a "90 minute tour of the facility". We asked if they were trying to sell us a timeshare, if it was a scam, but they avoided the question saying it was simply a tour. We thought it strange that for a "won" vacation we HAD to attend this tour, but nonetheless agreed as it also included a free cruise, and hey, I love skiing.

We had the option of either doing the tour the same time as the vacation (thank goodness we didn't) or touring first then setting up the vacation later. As the resort happned to be only2 hrs away, we decided to tour first and get our $75 back as well (we would get it back after the tour as well as more info on our "prize".

First note:::: Washington DC is NOT 2 hours away, I don't know who said that, but it'd be more like 3 hrs away since it took us 2 hours, and we're closer than DC.

I also don't reccomend using a GPS to navigate your way there as it brought us in a terrible backway instead of the regular entrance, LOL.

Anyway, we get to the resort, and as it was warm were we we lived I was only wearing a light coat, after all, they said it'd be a car tour and I'm thinking like a limo, or a hummer, or something nice like that. WRONG. We were led in and our of the building to a side area were they informed us they WERE trying to sell us a timeshare (uh-oh, here we go). So the kid who was doing the selling led us into a large room filled with tables and people all over. He asked if we wanted anything, and I asked for water. Well, all they had was little cups for a large cooler of juice, and a few crusty bagels (there were 3 left) to offer us, no bottles of water. My husband who had been planning on a 90 minute tour was quite hungry and chomped down the bagel, hoping to get lunch afterwards.

Then he asked us lots of questions and hteir marketing ploy is to make you feel buddy buddy with the seller, who in our case happened to be a poor college grad who couldn't find a better job. Oh, and did I mention he drove us around in his little beat-up car? (I understand college sucks up money, and I respect everyone's taste in cars, but if we had "won" anything of worth,and they were trying to sell anything of worth, they could have made a point in making our visit a bit more of worth??

All in all, it took 3 hours (although I overheard another lady complaining hers took 4), and my husband was fuming. The condos were very nice, no doubt there, but the kid showing us around mentioned the hotel was a dump (from reading the reviews I guess he's right). They actually didn't push the sale on us as my husband already looked like he was going to explode, and the poor kid's boss was a complete jerk and you could tell the kid hated his job (as much as he said he loved it).

The water park looked like the biggest draw, and they are going to make another huge addition, should be nice. They had lots of acticities, but you had to pay for them all and the prices were not modest.

As far as skiing goes, was a joke! The person who loved it was a beginner as they stated, and this might be best for them. 14 trails is nothing, and most are combined trails, so it was actually very small. $60 for a one day ticket is insane. I love skiing, but I'd rather drive a whole day to ski somewhere nice than pay $60 for a bunch of beginner trails. HINT: it's a 12 hour drive to Michigan where you will find slopes at half the price, and better hotels to match. Or go up to Canada if you REALLY want good skiing- can't beat the exchange rate. $60 Canadian will get you 38 trails, and the condos there are nice as well.

Well, I guess I won 3 days with ski passes, so I'll cash those in. Thank goodness it's only 2 hours away. I hope the cruise isn't a dump. . . yet to check on that one . . .
\
NOT WORTH THE TIMESHARE TOUR!

Stayed March 2008
10 Thank skiingisgreat
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
12.0 km away
16.7 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Harrisonburg
12.2 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK