“Stayed in most hotels in the burg - this one most!”

Holiday Inn Lynchburg
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Washington
“Stayed in most hotels in the burg - this one most!”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I travel to the 'burg frequently to see my family at Westminster Canterbury. There are not too many hotels that I have NOT stayed in in Lynchburg either for personal travel or for business. If I could always afford it and find a room at the Craddock Terry I would but the Holiday Inn by far is my second choice. It is convenient - right in downtown - other hotels are out near Liberty which is a little bit more out of town then I care to be.

This is an old hotel - they did work on renovating the rooms a number of years ago and it "improved" the look somewhat. The lobby is nice and clean and they have a little bar area and a lounge where you see private parties but rarely anything else there. The room I stayed in this time did have a really bad wall paper job on the window wall. But overall I find the rooms very clean. I have never had to go to the front desk to complain about hair in the tub like I did in another one of the hotels listed higher then this one. I have stayed here a lot over the years, even for a week once when a family member was dying and my room was always cleaned well.

I would recommend staying on a higher floor - was on the 8th this time. We stayed on a lower floor once and the noise from a party was dreadful and they carried on way too late. That is one thing about this hotel - they have a ballroom here and seem to have a lot of parties and large church groups meet here. Here again I stayed at one of the other hotels listed higher and they have the ice machines out in the middle of the hall and who wants to wake up at 5 AM when a large group starts to fill their ice chest non stop - that is right 5 AM!!!! The hotel can get very full and busy. If this was your first time here that might really make you frustrated but as I have been here and seen the hotel at all sorts of times I just take it in stride. The elevators can be slow and I have seen that the restaurant for breakfast can be slow but I have found the turn around time on my order has been much improved.

The beds could be better - they are older and pretty stiff. I hate the pillows here - I always take my own pillow when I stay here. The sheets are clean but thinner - not high quality hotel sheets you would find in a place like a Ritz or a Westin certainly. If you can I strongly recommend taking your own pillow - really a must here. Oh and the room had a flat screen tv and the carpet was clean.

Someone commented on safety. I travel with my husband and I travel on my own. I have never felt unsafe in the hotel. I used to bring my dog here too over the years and we would walk around the block at the hotel when she needed to go out. I would not venture much further outside that area on your own. Downtown Lynchburg is making a turn to come back from the ashes but it still has a ways to go from it's heyday in the 60s. The parking lot is lit and I don't have a problem leaving any of my cars there - including our convertible.

I have stayed here enough to be recognized by most of the staff. I find the majority of the staff very friendly and helpful. The waitress in the restaurant works hard and she is a really sweet person and tries her best to take care of you.

Like I said earlier I highly recommend this hotel over most of the others listed higher in the area than the Holiday Inn Select. It is not the Craddock Terry - old warehouse converted to a hotel in the last 5 -6 years - but it is much better then the Holiday Inn Express - huge ewwww, the Kirkley - hate this place and the ice machines, the Hilton Garden Inn - I had to wait until housekeeping came in the morning to clean the hair out of the tub, and the Courtyard - one of the worst Courtyard I have EVER been in. I could go on but you get the picture.

Room Tip: Stay in a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mjj2red
gmcamm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lynchburg, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
"mjj2red" THANK YOU for your frequent stays at our hotel. We have enjoyed a long-standing relationship with Westminster Cantebury over the years, and are glad that we are able to accommodate you consistently. Yes we are an older property, as Lynchburg hotels go, but put forth efforts to remain current and well-appointed. On your future visits, you may want to request our 6th floor rooms, as they are the most updated, complete with micro-fridge units. Our property is enjoying a spike in occupancy as the Downtown area is developing it's resurgence. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
detroit, mi
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We had a very nice stay! I think the reviews that I have read for this hotel must be old. Very good service. It was clean. The shower and bathtub were very clean. The bar and restaurant served a nice meal. Service in general was very good. Walkable to other restaurants and bars. I even enjoyed an art gallery opening across the street.

Great place. Great location.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Earlton, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel while in town visiting my brother at college. Unfortunately, we had to stay at this hotel because we had waited until the last minute to make reservations and this was the only "decent" hotel available in the area. This hotel has seen better days, it's not "unstayable", but it will probably get to that point in the near future. The front desk help was hit or miss, one gentlemen was very courteous and helpful while another woman was not helpful at all. Our reservations were made for one room with a king and one room with two queens. When we arrived we were given two rooms with kings. This ended up being fine, since my brother was not able to stay at the hotel with us, but the front desk was unaccommodating when we made them aware of the mishap. They told us that we had made the reservations incorrectly, which was not the case.
Parking was free, but was in a dilapidated parking structure next door to the hotel. It definitely felt unsafe and if I had been alone, I would have not felt comfortable parking there. The hotel lobby and restaurant were seemingly nice, clean and well-maintained. We ate breakfast at the "Lunchbag" before church, the food was good, but the service was terrible. It took over an hour for us to get our food and we almost didn't make it to church. I will say I don't think it was a widespread issue at the restaurant. I believe it was just our waitress. Another table with a larger number of people came in at about the same time as us and was given a different server. They were served their breakfast promptly and had left 25 minutes before we received our food.
The rooms were old, but relatively clean. There was some dust bunnies in the corners and the grout in the bathroom was noticeably dirty. The bathroom was usable but tiny! The door hardly cleared the toilet, so there was very little space. The beds were horrendous! Neither myself nor my parents got a restful night sleep during our three night stay. The mattresses were extremely hard and they squeaked with every tiny movement! The TV's were old, so the picture was pretty bad, but it wasn't much of an issue since I watched very little TV. Originally, I had a room that was adjoined to a room of a stranger. The door didn't seem to close very well, and I was not comfortable being alone in the room. After trying unsuccessfully to get the room change, my parents switched with me as their room was not adjoining. I was still not entirely comfortable, nor did I feel safe in the room. Each night when we would return, my dad would check out the room. I did not feel comfortable leaving anything of value in the room while we were out of the room, so I carried my valuables with me when I left for the day. The cleaning that took place each day during the stay was pitiful. The bed would be made and new towels would be left, but nothing else would be changed. They did not dump out the ice bucket and leave a new bag, nor did they replace the plastic cups that had been used. They did not change the trash and oddly the notepad on the bedside table was thrown across the room along with a blanket I brought from home which was thrown on top of a lamp.(?!)

The A/C in the room was on all the time and could not be shut off. I didn't much mind since I like the cold, but with unseasonably cold temperature during our stay, I imagine some people would have not have enjoyed it much. Also, wireless internet was temperamental, sometimes it worked, but mostly it did not. Luckily, I brought my wireless card from home!

Hopefully, we will never be staying here again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Not a place I would pick for myself but picked by my work. It's a very big hotel located far away from interstates in the downtown area of Lynchburg. Very old and the rooms show that. The beds squeaked and rattled every time you moved. Furnishings were dated. Room was clean and hotel was neat. Has a restaurant and bar just off the lobby which is a good thing because there is nothing else in the area. Many other hotel choices in the area closer to the interstate.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Stayed here on a 3 day business trip. The room has been redone but they left an old TV that only provide a poor picture will not good reception, the A/C was not working in the gym, nor the water fountain, no towels and half of the equipment was not working.
Food was good in the restaurant and there are decent restaurants nearby.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business