“DISCOUNTED RATES FOR FOR THOSE WITHOUT ELECTRIC” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Hunt Ridge

BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Hunt Ridge
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Whiting, New Jersey
“DISCOUNTED RATES FOR FOR THOSE WITHOUT ELECTRIC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

After my last negative review of Best Western at Hunt Ridge, the manager apologized on Trip Advisor and promised us a free night if we would try them again. Since my daughter lives in Lexington, we visit her 3-4 times a year. We stayed there the night of the big storm that put out the lights for over a million people. We enjoyed our FREE overnight The room was clean and bright. However the free continental breakfast is gone, replaced by a restaurant. My daughter was without electric for 7 nights. THEY WELCOMED MY DAUGHTER AND HER FAMILY AND GAVE THEM DISCOUNTED RATES FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY THE STORM..THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU FOR WELCOMING AND HELPING THOSE IN NEED.

Room Tip: We were in a king room with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 2joy
, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Hunt Ridge, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for trying us again. We appreciate it when people are willing to give us another chance when we do not live up to their expectations. The storm was something none of us saw coming. We are here for the community. It was our pleasure to help our neighbors. As a hotel, it is rare we do get to host those around us and we are very glad we were able to help. Thank you for your review and we hope you will stay with us again the next time you come back to visit your family.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

This is a very nice, clean and comfortable hotel. Staff is super responsive, my room was clean and smelled nice and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The only small details were that there was no shampoo in the bathroom (and I had forgotten to pack mine) and the restaurant did not seem to be open. Other than that, I had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 33MRose
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel before, and I found the hotel to be adequate, and enjoyed the free breakfast. This may not be important to everyone, but I tend to make my hotel decision based upon what hotel has the best breakfast. When I made my reservation on 6/17/2012, the "Room Details" section of the reservation included a free breakfast. When we got to the hotel on 7/3/2012, there was a sign that indicated there was no longer a free breakfast, and that guests could choose to pay for a breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The restaurant may have very well had a fabulous breakfast, but I was so upset that the hotel advertised a free breakfast that didn't exist, I refused to visit the restaurant.

I am normally very easy to please, but I think I became a little extra critical because I was so irritated about the breakfast. The hotel is a little dated, but fairly clean for the most part. I am not entirely confident that the sheets on our beds had been changed from the previous guests, as we had to brush hairs and other crumbs off of the sheets before we slept on them, but the remainder of the room was clean.

I may not have noticed this had I not been in my critical mode, but the American flag at the entrance to the hotel was in deplorable condition. I have never seen a flag so tattered and faded. The area recently had a horrendous storm, but I don't think that could have possibly degraded the flag that much, and even if it did, the flag should have been removed and replaced, especially due to the fact that it was the 4th of July.

The upside to our stay was that the staff were as friendly and responsive as one could possibly expect. Most of them have no power at their homes due to the recent storm, yet they handled the stress of a holiday crowd with utmost enthusiasm and professionalism as possible. For this reason, I decided not to complain to them about the breakfast issue. The last thing they needed to deal with on a busy holiday was someone complaining about breakfast.

Another positive is that although the hotel was filled to 100% capacity, it was easy to get a good nights' sleep without the normal noise of banging doors and screaming people in the halls. I am a light sleeper, and I normally hear every single noise when I am trying to sleep, but I never heard a single peep from anyone, anywhere. This hotel is well insulated.

The hotel no longer advertises a free breakfast, so I think we just got caught in the middle of a transition. If you are looking for a hotel that is convenient to everything, and has friendly service, then this will do the trick. Just know that there is no longer a free breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Hunt Ridge, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
I would like to thank you for your review, but I am displeased we missed the mark with your stay. We try hard to make sure our guests are happy with their entire stay.
We are very excited about our new restaurant but we know our guests did enjoy the free breakfast they did receive before the restaurant opened. It was a bitter sweet decision for us but we know if you stay with us again knowing breakfast is not free you will enjoy our hotel and the breakfast the restaurant offers.
Since your review our new flag has arrived and has been replaced. We try hard to make our hotel look nice, keep it clean, and our staff happy. We hope if you are in the area again you will stay with us and enjoy everything our hotel has to offer.
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night on our return from the Outer Banks. It made our third stay in a Best Western during the allotted time to earn our $50 gift card during a recent promotion. We ranked this one the best of the three and plan to stay here again on our trips to the coast to visit family. This is a BW Plus so it does cost more than the very close by BW Lexington Inn which is located right on a busy road. It is set back in a country setting and everything about it is more spacious than the other BW. We asked the front desk if they were honoring the discount from the Visitor's Center magazine that others have mentioned here on TA. We were told that a big event was going on basically next door at the VA Horse Center and they do not honor that promotion during events. It is for a room with two double beds.

We were very pleased with our huge King room with the enormous bathroom, minifridge and newer large flatscreen tv. Everything was clean and very well maintained. The biggest surprise was the fantastic breakfast which was included with a coupon from the front desk at checkin. Just about everything you can imagine was on the hot buffet which was kept replenished by attentive staff who even cleared tables in the spacious restaurant. We ate so much that we easily skipped lunch when we got back on the road home. We felt that this fantastic Southern breakfast and huge room made up for the difference in price from the other nearby BW. The friendly server said that the restaurant management is currently applying for a license to reopen the adjoining bar/lounge. Some room service and a few dinners are already available on limited nights in the restaurant as the new managers reopen it.

This is a pet friendly hotel, but we noted no cleanliness or noise issues. The walls and doors have sufficient soundproofing so we only heard very, very faint barking a few times through the wall of the adjoining room. Even the elevators appeared clean and well swept with the nice dogs enjoying their stay,too.

Be sure to check TA and visit some of the charming little restaurants in nearby downtown Lexington. Parking was easy in the city lot just off one of the main intersections. Don't miss the homemade cookie waffle cones at the ice cream shop by W&L College. We also plan to return to the Southern Inn restaurant downtown. The Devil's Backbone and Blue Lab microbrewing companies also have tasting rooms a short drive from here and are well worth a visit. Just ask for directions at the helpful front desk.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Radford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel was clean, very convenient to the Virginia Horse Center, and pet friendly to our medium sized dog. The pool was clean and inviting (part indoor and part outdoor.) The front desk and cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel does not serve breakfast, and there is no fitness center. At $67/night (Priceline), the hotel was a good value. The hotel is very close (less than a mile) to the Virginia Horse Center, WalMart, and several restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HuntRidgePlus, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn at Hunt Ridge, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed not only the hotel but some of the things we have to offer close by the hotel. We love our pets here small, medium, and large ones! All of our staff work hard to make sure the hotel is clean and up to par. The indoor/outdoor pool is a great amenity that we are glad to offer to our guests. We no longer server breakfast because we are attached to a restaurant, Lucky Dog, that servers a wonderful breakfast and dinner. We are sorry we were not able to offer a fitness center on location at this time. We will keep your requests in mind. Thank you so much for your comments.