“Great Value!”

Howard Johnson Inn Lexington
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Excellent front desk staff, very clean room, very clean bathroom, comfortable bed. I researched all the local hotels on trip advisor and settled here because of the positive reviews. Any negative reviews published about this hotel were obviously put there by unreasonable people with unreasonable expectations. Do yourself a favor and stay here, I'll definately be back.

Room Tip: The view from the balcony off the room is fantastic. Ask for a room on the front side!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Lexington

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We traveled as a couple with a toddler, from NJ on our way to our final destination of eastern Tennessee, and we needed to find a stopover location on our 12-hour drive. Our priority was thus to find a place to overnight that was clean, safe, and affordable. This place met all those requirements.

The HOJO is located on top of a hill, which when we arrived in the middle of the night, did not notice what a gorgeous scenic view of the countryside this had!! We only noticed it the next day at breakfast in the lobby. Pulling up to the site, the exterior was hideous. It was a dingy, gray, low-income-style housing block with huge floodlights overlooking the parking lot. I was immediately apprehensive, which didn't get better with the stale smell in the lobby. But it was late (10PM) with a sleepy toddler, so we weren't going anywhere.

Thankfully the room smelled fine (we had requested a pet-free smoke-free room). The balcony was bare-- I can't imagine anyone who'd use it-- but it was outfitted well and most importantly, there were no bugs or pests to be seen. The bed was comfortable, the fridge was welcomed, and free wi-fi was a plus.

The free breakfast in the lobby was stale and too sweet. Store-bought English muffins, white bread, bagels, lemon poppyseed muffins, some fresh fruit, cereal (Fruit Loops or Kellogg's.. two choices only), juice (from concentrate) and milk. We grabbed a banana and apple. There was a waffle-making machine with pre-mixed batter, that was the only hot and fresh item available.

For the price we paid ($70/night), it was everything we needed for an overnight 7-hour stay at HOJO. Glad we didn't see any bugs, and happy nobody was mugged. Everything above and beyond was gravy.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel on April 29, 2012. I was hesitant to book this hotel but all the reviews convinced me to try it. It is a couple miles out of town and sits high so you have beautiful views of the mountains (on the front side). The property is well maintained, swimming pool was very clean. The little putt putt they have needs some attention. The room was larger than most, we had two double beds. There is a door that goes out on a small balcony with each room but you have indoor corridors and there are two elevators. The towels were kind of thin and the floor in the bathroom looked like a design from the 70's but it was clean. The mattress looked new and the carpet and wallpaper. I always check for "bed bugs" when I go into a hotel and there were none here. The door to the hallway and the bathroom door also show their age, but all in all it was a pleasant surprise. You can't beat the price. The breakfast was good, they had two waffle machines and the usual cereal and bagels and mini muffins and some type cinnamon buns and I believe they had some eggs. I did not check out all the breakfast items. There was coffee and milk and juice. The lady who worked the breakfast area as well as everyone else here was very nice. We enjoyed our stay and will probably stay here again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the first floor facing the front of the property. Good access to your car a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2012

If you are going to visit Natural Bridge in Virginia. I would recommend this hotel. This hotel is on top of a large hill in the middle of mountians so it has a nice view. My family and I wanted to stay near Natural Bridge with out breaking the bank and the Howard Johnson in Lexington Va fit the bill to the tee. The room was nice sized purfect for us. It was clean well matained and the hot water coming out of the shower was fantastic. We all had a good nights sleep. The breakfast in the morning was great hot waffles, great coffee, muffins, and ceral for the kids. My kids were a little disapointed because there is a neat minature golf course on property but we did not have time to get in a round may next time. We all enjoyed this hotel and will back

Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I travel quite frequently through this area doing a tour visitng our children. The hotel we normally stay in this Saturday evening located at an earlier exit was full - so we headed back to the highway unsure where we would be staying. We decided to try the Howard Johnson Inn, Lexington, Virginia because HOJO brought back memories of our university days - many years ago. The driveway up to the top of the hill where the Inn was located was dotted with signs which brought a smile to our face. We checked at the front desk to see if there were any rooms available and was greeted by a smiling and friendly young lady - which after a long drive over the last few days was a welcome sight. We were offered non-smoking rooms on two floors and chose the ground floor. We were given the option of checking the room before commiting ourselves. I noticed there was parking just outside the sliding glass door and opted for this room making it easy to unload items from the car.

The room was large, clean, the two queen beds extremely comfortable and the bathroom came with various soaps, shampoos and lotions. The sliding glass door had two locks and a lifting bar all in working condition. The hotel was very quiet during the night - as an light sleeper I sometimes have problems sleeping in hotels. There was a mini golf game outside the back door which I would loved to have tried except for the rainy weather.

We both slept well and enjoyed a breakfast of waffles, eggs, fruit, juice and coffee. There was also pastries and muffins. There was more than enough to set us comfortable on the remainder of our journey. Would I stay there again - after one stay we have decided to change our pattern and head for the Howard Johnson Inn, Lexington on future trips.