“Perfect Thanksgiving”

The Omni Homestead Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hot Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 November 2011

You can't go wrong with The Homestead...from the facilities..to the staff..to the magic created by the history.

Can't wait till next year.

One caution...make your reservations early.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer section are a bit larger.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GerardEvans

Reviewed 28 November 2011

We basically had a lovely couple of days at the Homestead in August '11--as long as we stayed out of our room. Food was great, and the "gracious living" atmosphere was a fun break from our usual lives. On the other hand, we were in the Garden Wing on the ground floor with a huge pine tree outside our room so the room was predisposed to being somewhat dark and dank. The room reeked as though the air conditioner hadn't been drained. We didn't report it at first because we thought we just needed to let the air conditioner catch up with the humidity, but by the next day when the room was freezing cold but still humid and smelly we called to report the problem. When we stopped by the desk several hours later they told us they were moving us because of "unresolvable problems". When we went to get our things to move them to the new room, we found the toilet pulled from the wall -- not the problem we'd reported in the first place--the ac still out of order and the smell still disgusting. The room they moved us to, right next door in the shade of the pine tree, was no better. So, by this point somewhat annoyed with me, they gave me one more chance and gave me a room on the sunnier side of the wing which was much better. Unfortunately, the next day we had to leave.
So I know that there are good rooms because I've read so many positive reviews here, but you have to be ready to insist on a good one the moment you walk into your first room and don't like the way it smells.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the Garden Wing ground floor. If your room smells at all, ask for a chan...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnnikaColumbus_OH
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This is probably one of the best places to go for a man trip. Skeet shooting, sporting clays, fly fishing ..... If you want to do it, you probably can. It makes a nice romantic retreat as well but probably not as many female friendly pursuits. The facilities are exceptional. It is an old resort so the rooms are small but comfortable. The food is also exceptional. We did an all inclusive food and activity package. There are many activities that really are not completely included but it is still a value over paying for everything separately. My wife and I have been before.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed in a room right above the lobby. Very nice room, spacious and elegant. King mattress was sunken in two spots ("his" and "hers") not a comfortable mattress. The lobby uses real wood fireplaces, the hallway above the lobby smelled like a camp fire the whole week, but I guess that is what the place would have been like in the old days. So if you enjoy a historical twist, you can get used to the wood fire smell everywhere. Could hear lobby music quietly in the night in the room, but turning on the fan masked it. Check in staff (I checked in near midnight) was brusque and not patient. When asking a couple of questions said twice: "I already said that, it's right here. No. I already told you." Housekeeping staff was VERY nice and hospitable though! Always gracious and kind! Food was marginal, and exceptionally expensive. Loved the hikes in the area in fall.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Meh122
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I had been seeing advertisements for The Homestead for several years and had been wanting to visit mostly for the history, but also because of all the available activities. But after seeing some mediocre reviews I was a little nervous about the cost. But then I scored a wonderful social coupon which offered: 2 nights, 2 buffet breakfasts, 2 free activities, free valet and discounts on other purchases, all for about $400. It was fate! I was meant to go :)

And it was absolutely wonderful! A friend recommended that at booking, I specifically request a room in the original part of the hotel (not the newer addition), and I was so glad she said that. She said the rooms in the addition were comparable to staying in any modern hotel. Not having seen those rooms, I'll have to take her word for it. My room had the antique-feel (the hotel was built in 1799) with extra high ceilings, wood floors under the carpeting (you can hear them squeak as you walk across), huge marble bathroom, and the most comfortable bed imaginable with downy-soft pillows and bedding. While the hotel has modern elevators, it was so much more fun to take the stairs as they're tucked away around corners, with slightly worn tread which indicates the years of foot-traffic. I liked that- I enjoy seeing history in angled stairs, old-fashioned fireman's watch turnkeys, huge lobbies with fireplaces, etc.

Right from my arrival, it was clear The Homestead is dedicated to the customer. I didn't arrive for check-in until 11:30pm, yet was met in the drive by a valet and welcoming receptionist. They have several concierge staff on duty to assist with dinner reservations and area activities. Shuttles are available practically 24/7 to carry guests to/from area restaurants (more about that later) and activities. The highlight of my trip was relaxing in the lobby on a couch infront of one of the fireplaces. This is a popular hangout, so pick the off hours (dinner time) to snag a fireplace couch! I curled up with a bottle of wine and engaged in wonderful conversations with complete strangers. This is also the location for the 3pm tea, which shouldn't be missed. I accidentally stumbled across tea-time on my way to catching the shuttle. It's complimentary, and has tea, hot chocolate, and small sandwiches, scones and chocolates.

The only reason why I am not giving The Homestead 5 stars is because of the cost/quality of food. The main dining room offers a wonderful buffet breakfast ($27), but after that, I opted to dine elsewhere due to the price. The Sam Snead's Tavern was highly recommended, so I had dinner there - big mistake. I order the rib-eye ($34) and it arrived with some glaze sauce covering it. I should have sent it back right then, but I ate it. It completely lacked that flavor which brings you back bite after bite. It truely was tasteless. I chose the red-skinned smashed potatoes, which appeared to have been dished with an icecream scooper -- earlier that morning. They were cold, dry and a perfect circle lump. There really aren't many options for meals in the area, so I don't have a solution to the food dilemma.

I participated in the hot springs, horseback riding and hiking the trails. All of which was wonderfully relaxing. I was a little taken aback that clothing was optional at the springs, but thankfully everyone was opting in favor of swimsuits while I was there :) The trails offer a good workout as they follow up & down the mountain.

I had a very relaxing time and would like to go back. I can't afford full-price, so I'll be waiting for another coupon :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original part of the hotel to get the full atmosphere of the hotel built in 17...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
29 km away
The Hummingbird Inn
The Hummingbird Inn
#1 of 1 in Goshen

Been to The Omni Homestead Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK