“Other better choices”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Richmond, VA
“Other better choices”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I booked this hotel mainly because of the indoor pool which I thought could provide some entertainment for my kids while we visited the area. We paid more for this hotel than other non-pool hotels in recognition of this amenity. The other comments I read, after booking unfortunately, were right! The pool is freezing cold. My kids actually got in, but I would not let them stay in for long because seriously the thermometer on the pool filter said 72. 72 is all right for air temperature but look it up-generally 80 is considered cold or cool for pool water! On a positive note, it was clean. Probably because most people are not brave enough to use it! Overall I felt the hotel was clean. The decor was attractive. The free breakfast had the most offerings of any I've seen for a comparable hotel. There was a funky chemical odor throughout the hotel-cleaning supplies and/or deodorizer. They were just stronger than what seemed normal for a hotel to me. Also our refrigerator in the room was broken and I got the distinct feeling from the girl at the front desk that she was all alone there in terms of any support to fix any problem that arose. I felt bad for her actually. Overall I felt like the indoor pool was a huge disappointment since it was the main reason we chose this hotel over others. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Toonces76
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed at the Country Inn/Harrisonburg while attending a JMU football game. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. Location was good, just off I-81 and convenient to free shuttles to football game. The downside was the building construction - walls are paper-thin. We heard conversations from adjoining rooms spoken in **normal** volume. I can see where loud-talkers/screaming could penetrate the walls ... but hearing conversations from folks in the next room was plain odd. Noise from hallway was also excessive. My hearing is bad to begin with. Family residing with me in the same room had the same complaint. My second complaint was value. I paid $150 including local taxes for 1 night. For that amount, I can get a real nice (and quiet) room in Vegas.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the larger suites that had a seperate sitting area with a desk and a fold out lo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 29 September 2011

After reading some of the other reviews, I wonder if I stayed at the same hotel. We had a room at the end of the first floor and had no issues with it at all. The rooms are very spacious, well kept, and modernized. The staff was very gracious, this hotel made me want to look for a Country Inn and Suites whenever I travel. This is the last hotel we stayed in on our two week vacation and, trust me, we stayed in some doozies, this one was one of the best by far. The only complaint I had was that the pool was supposed to be heated, but clearly was not, as it was definitly freezing! The breakfast was good and my husband loved the free cookies offered at the desk! Will stay again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Room smelled moldy, mixed with a cleaner smell in an attempt to mask odor. Hotel ran out of shampoo, tissue and sugar. The place is nice looking with a good set up.. The breakfast was pretty good for the price. I would return there, but I would ask for room on higher floor and make sure to bring my own supplys.

Room Tip: Take room on higher floor and bring on supplys
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
St Catharines
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Stopped here on our way home from north carolina via blue ridge parkway. We had a lst floor room which was our error as the pool was downstairs and checkin was near the pool and lst floor smelled very musty therefore our room was very musty and was in need of some renovations. We were there only overnight so we persevered. The rate was good as we used a traveller coupon. Don't think I would stay here again as I can see no reason to come back to Harrisonburg again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple