“Worth the trip!”

Joshua Wilton House
Reserve with OpenTable
Joshua Wilton House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 295 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Campbell Street
Description: Located in an elegantly restored Victorian mansion, Joshua Wilton House is within walking distance of historic downtown Harrisonburg and the campus of James Madison University, offering guests quiet charm and gracious living in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. The Restaurant offers a unique and exquisite a la carte menu that changes with the seasons, along with an extensive selection of beers and an award-winning wine list. Featured are the food products of many small local farms and producers who supply our kitchen with high quality ingredients that simply cannot be found elsewhere. Chef's Tom French and Brian Bogan work together to create food that highlights Virginia's southern heritage while adding a French influence to the dish. During the warmer months, seating is available on the outdoor brick patio. Arrive early and enjoy a cocktail in our lounge before dinner.
Reviewed 8 February 2018

I cannot say enough about the Joshua Wilton House. I've wanted to stay there since we had brunch there at my son's parent's weekend. Last week I had the opportunity to do just that.

The food here is exceptional. The service was phenomenal. The house is lovely and the Inn Keeper was good enough to check in with me personally to make sure I knew what the process was to access the house.

The next morning they had breakfast for myself and my son and I cannot say enough about the experience. There was only the two of us, but they treated us like royalty. The food was delicious. I would have said I do not like scones, until I tasted their orange rosemary scone.

I am looking forward to the chance to stay there again!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

We went for Sunday Brunch and really enjoyed it ! We had the pastry basket which was incredible - it was freshly baked and had a variety of items. Both the eggs/hash browns and French toast were very good. We also had a few mimosas.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

This 1888 house, beautifully restored with original mantels, fireplaces, stained glass and parquet floors, is a surprising gem in downtown Harrisonburg. The five bedrooms are small but with lovlely period furniture, wi-fi and no TV! The piece de resistance is restaurant which has been serving its signature creme brulee dessert for 40 years. My husband had perfectly cooked duck breast and I had crispy pork belly with carrot puree, prosciutto and tiny apple balls marinated for days in cinnamon and star anise and then rolled in sugar and flamed to caramelize, In summer there's a small herb, flower and vegetable garden for fresh local produce. The night's salad and dessert chef was a saxophonist. Perhaps that accounted for the great classic jazz CD's playing in the cozy bar and the dining room and the harmonious progression from amuse bouche to final gormandise. If it's a James Madison University event weekend, reserve early.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I love this restaurant and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Harrisonburg. My "average" review relates to my experience on spending New Year's Eve at this place. They have never before disappointed but this experience was terrible. They were grossly understaffed for the number of people. They ran out of seats in the lounge area before 7PM and had only two people working that area. I was there early, 7PM, and they only had enough liquor to serve my guest one drink of her choice. They charged $75 per person for a wonderful multi course dinner but then charged $12 per drink, taxes and tips making it a very expensive outing indeed. My evaluation relates to the NYC pricing and the lack of staff to make things move smoothly throughout the night. I will continue to recommend this restaurant but I would never return for a special holiday visit.

1  Thank Jackson B
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

We booked the Joshua Wilton house after realizing it was the closest, walkable lodging to our meeting at JMU. Not only did it turn out to be a fantastic location, it is a wonderful inn. We planned to arrive in the evening after hours, so The innkeeper called prior to our visit to make sure that we had everything we needed. Keys were placed in a lockbox at the front door for us.

The rooms were comfortable and large. There is no TV, but for someone on a business trip, that did not bother me. In fact, I went to bed early, slept in and took several morning walks through the JMU campus before breakfast.

So onto breakfast! It was simply scrumptious. It was a meal. We had fresh juice, coffee, a yogurt parfait with homemade granola and homemade biscotti for starters. The main breakfast on the first morning was sun-dried tomato and feta quiche and a small salad. The second morning was your choice of eggs, bacon and fresh asparagus. We opted for the breakfast and it was well worth the additional cost.

There is a kuerig for use by guests, tea, creamer and bottled sparkling water. It is an easy walk to any of the downtown restaurants. The even have their own restaurant in the Joshua Wilton house if you prefer to dine-in. We did not try them for dinner, but based on breakfast it should be good.

This inn beats any hotel in the area for a business trip or Romantic get-a-way.