“Some of the BBQ around”

Wilkes Bar-B-Q Co
Ranked #37 of 349 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 16 March 2016

Chopped BBQ is very good as are the sides such as the potato salad. BBQ is sold by the pound and very reasonably priced. Unfortunately their is no eat in facilities, just takeaway.

Reviewed 16 October 2015

After hearing a couple trusted foodies speak on "The best hole in the wall BBQ place in Hampton". I finally had to give it a try for myself. Let me tell you they were 100% correct. This place is what BBQ is all about. The ribs speak for themselves, but Wilkes is known for the Pulled Pork Sandwich. Be aware, this sandwich is not a sandwich for the weak. It's a true stomach filler, and you should be ready to eat when you order this sandwich. It does have a slight hint of vinegar (the bbq is vinegar based), but it's missed with just the right amount of spice. You can get it with, or without cole slaw on it. I'm not the biggest coleslaw fan, but actually like the mix on this sandwich. Whether you are traveling through Hampton, or you are a resident. Place visiting Wilke's BBQ in Hampton on your to-do list.

Reviewed 20 July 2015

This review is for the Victoria Blvd. location only!!! The first time we visited Wilkes at 3700 Victoria Blvd., Hampton, VA 23669, was excellent. There was a young man and woman working and they were so friendly and helpful. There were a few other patrons there and we had the best time talking to them about the food and what to order and how good the food was, especially since it was our first time at Wilkes. I got a BBQ sandwich with coleslaw, as well as some sweet potato pie. My son ordered a pound of BBQ meat and coleslaw. The food was hot and it was fantastic. Considering I had never liked BBQ with vinegar, that's saying a lot. The location is not in a good part of town but there is good parking on the street or near the pooch grooming place in front. There is no place to sit down to eat. It's all take out and go. You can order ahead. If you order the meat, make sure to purchase buns or stop somewhere and get them (there's a Food Lion close by). Ordering the meat by the pound does not come with buns.

NOW, for the second visit: Two weeks later, July 4 weekend, my husband goes with me on another short vacation to visit our son who is in the Army. We told him how fantastic Wilkes BBQ was and we were so excited for him to try it, so we drive the 40+ minutes just for those sandwiches!!! But when we arrived, Wilkes on Victoria is temporarily closed. There was a sign that said to visit their other location near Soaps n Suds on 39th and Chestnut. So, given that the food was fantastic, we went to the other location. Because we were going on a picnic and wanted the meat, buns and coleslaw separate so they could be placed in the cooler after we ate, we ordered a pound of meat, some buns, and coleslaw. Imagine our surprise when we got to our location 30 minutes later to find the meat was COLD!!! Yes, cold meat. What in the heck were we supposed to do with a pound of cold BBQ meat ? ? ? So we had to pack up and go find another restaurant. Unfortunately, the restaurant we chose was just as bad if not worse (and I'll write that review too). We were not impressed. So make sure you go to the Wilkes on Victoria Blvd. because the older woman at the other location obviously does not understand that people want their BBQ sandwiches HOT, NOT COLD. She was nice, but slow, and our meal was definitely spoiled on the last day of our vacation with our son. In the time it took her to get our meal ready, it should definitely have been HOT. I would definitely return to the location on Victoria, but never again will I return to the other one near Soaps N Suds.

Reviewed 17 May 2015 via mobile

My fiancee loves this place! Every time she comes here is quick and friendly customer service and the order is made to perfection every time. The price in my opinion is a little to high for one sandwich but hey, the taste makes up for it...overall a great place to check out

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have been going to Wilkes for years the barbecue is really great. When I want barbecue in this area this family owned business is the first place that comes to mind. The guys are friendly considering the heat that they have to work in. The area not so good its pretty small and if you blink you may miss the place. But if you're looking for tasty Carolina Q with slaw Wilkes is the place to go!

Been to Wilkes Bar-B-Q Co? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK