Comfort Inn Grundy
US$ 109
US$ 66
Priceline
TripAdvisor
All reviewscheese omeletslaw school graduationappalachian mountainschain hotelbit datedrooms are cleancomfortable staythe entire staffgreat place to stayloralodging
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I stayed here a couple of years ago for the first time and was very surprised in such a good way. I returned this year and found that everything that made my stay such a good one was still there. Clerks were still friendly. Room was impeccably clean. At night I even had a view of the lighted sign of the new Walmart. I know, most wouldn't care about that, but the people in Grundy and surrounding areas are greatful to have such a large modern facility in which to shop. And I am happy for them and the sign is a sign of new times in this small mountain town. Comfort Inn and their staff delivers again. I hope I find a reason to return to this area again and if I do find myself in this land of mountains, mornin' fog and gracious country folk, I know the Comfort Inn will be there to take perfect care of my lodging needs.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Spellingchamp76
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was one of the better motels in which we've stayed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A staff member called shortly after we checked in to make sure everything was satisfactory. The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom had towel bars and hooks for clothes on the door. The motel is solidly built. Even though it is right on the main road thru Grundy, you could barely hear any traffic noise. The AC/heating unit's dehumidifying feature did not seem to work all that well, but the unit did cool the room. The breakfast room is spacious and well designed. There was a choice of hot or cold food--or both, with fresh fruit, juice, coffee, and make your own waffles. There was even a choice between regular and blueberry batter. We traveled to Grundy for some bird watching and spent two nights. After a long day on the road, and then a full day of bird watching, the Comfort Inn Grundy provided just what we needed.

Room Tip: The motel is in a very narrow valley. None of the rooms have a view of anything other then the close by mountains.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank looking4birds
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My husband and I started our week long road trip in southwestern Virginia near his mother's hometown of Haysi, VA. Since the area is sparsely populated, places to stay are limited and hard to find. We were so grateful when we discovered that the Comfort Inn in Grundy was only a half hour from Haysi! Our stay at the Comfort Inn was very comfortable. The room was spacious and well maintained. We couldn't wait to sink into the king sized bed after eight hours on the road! The bathroom was simple, but clean with plenty of towels. The free WiFi came in quite handy. In the morning, we enjoyed the continental breakfast downstairs before a hot day of walking in Haysi and Breaks Interstate Park. Thanks to the hospitality of the staff at the Comfort Inn! We definitely will stay here again when we're back in southwestern VA.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ONtoNCtoMD
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed 2 nites for a wedding. Many guests for this town! Hotel was booked yet employees were very good. Comfort Inn was very nice; someone always at desk willing to assist any of the wedding guests. Would highly recommend; right in Appalachia country.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kidoke
Reviewed 26 September 2010

It's Grundy, VA and your hotel choices are limited. This is about the best it gets there. But the place needs work. Clerks are helpful but look like slobs. Button your color kids and don't have your t-shirt hanging out. Rooms need updating. The cheap Formica-topped furniture is is chipped and fraying and the carpeting in threadbare. No shears on the curtains and they didn't even close completely letting light leak in from the parking lot. It was clean but shabby, especially for almost $100/night with a AAA discount in a rural part of Virginia.

If you have to go to Grundy, this is about your only choice if you want to avoid very seedy and scary-looking motor court motels, but it should be a little better than it is given the prices they are getting.

And the business center--one junky computer with a painfully slow printer--is totally inadequate for 2010.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business