“Great Greek Cuisine in Great Falls VA!”
Review of Our Mom Eugenia

Our Mom Eugenia
Ranked #4 of 35 Restaurants in Great Falls
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Description: Authentic home-style Greek comfort food in the heart of Great Falls, Virginia!
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Tucked away in the Seneca Shopping Center in Great Falls, VA is an authentic slice of Greece. The family-owned and operated Our Mom Eugenia is run by two brothers who have named the restaurant after their mother, Eugenia. This is not a Greek diner. The menu represents the very best in classic Greek cuisine. Eugenia Hobson, an accomplished chef runs the kitchen and the food is definitely the kind you wish your mom had made.

As I said, the restaurant is family run and the minute you arrive, you are welcomed like a close family member. If you are lucky, you'll get Dennis Roumeliotis as your server. When he's not helping to guide you around the menu, or taking you on a tour of Greece through the wonderful selection of Greek wines on the wine list, he'll regale you with stories of his family in Greece, his parents and grandparents, or how after he went diving for Octopus as a young boy, he prepared and ate his first catch over an open fire on the beach. It's a family affair all the way at Our Mom Eugenia's and the food and atmosphere gives you all the comforts of home.

For our dinner, Dennis suggested both Kolokithákia, which are beer-battered, thinly sliced, fried zucchini served with house made tzatziki and Grilled Octopus. The zucchini were fried perfectly and the tzatziki had the tang of Greek yogurt with herbs. The octopus was grilled perfectly, it was tender and accompanied on a bed of greens with a splash of lemon.

For our entrees, my wife opted for the catch of the day, which was Branzino filets, stuffed with shrimp and rolled and served over a bed of garlicky mashed potatoes and drizzled with spicy Greek olive oil.

I selected the classic Arní Giouvétsi, Oven-braised lamb shank with orzo. The lamb is slow-braised for almost five hours and falls off the bone. They give you a spoon to make sure you can get every last bite. Since this was my first trip to the restaurant, I decided not to lick my plate. I didn't feel like I was that close a family member. Yet. ;-)

We both enjoyed Greek coffee as part of our dessert service. Dennis told us there were three levels of sweetness and we opted for the mildly sweet. It was perfect. We also split an order of Galaktoboúreko, a Greek milk custard pie with fyllo pastry. The pastry was light and fluffy and paired with the coffee was a perfect end to a perfect meal.

I didn't realize that if I wanted to take a trip to Greece all I had to do was to make the short drive to Great Falls, VA. It's a trip I will be making many more times.

1  Thank Fred K
Management response:Responded 8 September 2017

Thank you Fred for your extensive review, very humbled and obliged by your kind, kind words! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2017

My friends invited me to have dinner and Our Mom Eugenia is where they made reservations. It was the first time I have dined there and it was a wonderful experience. The food was delicious and prepared flawlessly. Two of us had the mixed grill and all three types of meat were grilled to the perfect temperature - moist, juicy, delicious! The Greek salad is the traditional way of making it without lettuce and a generous amount of feta. My other friend had the lamb burger and said it was fabulous. I was too full for dessert but my friends had the orange cake and said it was one of their favorite desserts anywhere - full of orange flavor and it was not too sweet. Sounds wonderful for another time. The prices are less than other Greek restaurants I have been to and the food is as good or better. Even though this is some distance from my home, I am sure to go back and recommend this restaurant to others, including you. :-)

1  Thank KateS3874
Management response:Responded 8 September 2017

Awesome Kate, thank you so much, you're the best!

Reviewed 25 August 2017

The food is absolutely delicious and tastes homemade. Not over salted or over spiced. The feta and zucchini fritters are amazing as is the traditional Greek salad. I could eat both every day! The moussaka is memorable. I would eat there once a week if I weren't moving out of the area. Great Falls has needed a restaurant of this caliber for years and years.

1  Thank HDMM
Management response:Responded 8 September 2017

Sad to see you move, but so happy you liked the food while you were here in the neighborhood! Thank you so much for your kind words!

Reviewed 23 August 2017

The chef here was formerly at NoVA favorite, Nostos. His move to Great Falls is nothing but a success in my estimation. The service is great, the food delicious, I was there for a Thurs lunch and Sat dinner, both were wonderful. The place was totally hopping on Sat night, it's like the new neighborhood hot spot. HIGHLY RECOMMEND Our Mom Eugenia!

1  Thank gulfstreamgirl2017
Management response:Responded 8 September 2017

Thank you for the high praise, so happy you liked our restaurant so much to visit it twice in one week! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

We have been here a few times as a family and we have enjoyed every meal. It has an authentic comfortable feel. The service is consistently good. The meatball starter is a family favorite as is the fried zucchini. The branzino is always prepared perfectly and they do a great job deboning.

1  Thank Travelingduncs
Management response:Responded 8 September 2017

Thank you for your kind words, we're happy your whole family likes our food and service! Looking forward to your next visit!