“Rude Owner, Uncomfortable Stay” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
Ranked #2 of 2 Flint Hill B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Rude Owner, Uncomfortable Stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

Much like another reviewer, we had a bad stay at Caledonia Farm. The main reason was the rudeness of the owner, Phil. We did not feel comfortable interacting with him upon arrival or at breakfast. Other low points were the bathroom which was more reminiscent of a cheap 70's era motel than a rustic farmhouse (laminate floor, plastic light fixtures, Dixie Cup dispenser, rusty bathtub). Speaking of rust, the water has a pungent rust smell that you will take home with you. There are pluses - well preserved, historic slave quarters serve as rooms; beautiful views all around grounds. We would go back ONLY if ownership/management changed.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank WH4Traveler
Phil1812, Owner at Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Our apology to this reviewer and to our MANY guests over the past 27 years for tolerating a substandard bathroom. In January 2010, a totally modern bathroom replaced the old one. Also a new system was installed for our regularly inspected and approved well water. The overdue renovations were done without harming the authenticity of the over 200 year old structure. We cannot recall circumstances which may have caused a perception of rudeness. Thousands of guests have acknowledged and appreciated our outstanding Caledonia Farm hospitality.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lewisburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

If you are looking for modern luxury, thankfully this is not it! If you are looking for an unusual experience, then stay here. My wife and I stayed in the old slave quarters. The entire farm is a chance to live history. Stone buildings and miles of stone fences built by slaves. Phil, the owner, is a unique and fascinating individual. The bed was small but comfortable. The place was clean. The food was good. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Caledonia Farm, Flint Hill, VA, for one night in June 2009.
But next time, I will make sure we stay longer.

The Place and The Owner:
The Inn At Little Washington has nothing on the view of this place!!! Sitting on an 135 acres of pastureland, you are surrounded by mountains and endless view of green grass and cows grazing in the distant. The owner, Phil Irwin, greeted us with cold drinks when we arrived and made us felt welcomed right away. Phil has been living here since the 60s so he knows the area like the back of his palms. He was very resourceful and provided us with maps and recommendations on places to go and he was spot on! We never for a second felt unwelcome by Phil so we are perplexed why a previous reviewer (2007) gave a bad review for him and the place.

The Room & Bathroom:
We stayed in one of the suites upstairs. The room has a fireplace and seating area and way too big for 2 persons. The room is individually air-conditioned so you have full control of the room temperature. I like feeling freezing when I go to bed so I would have preferred to have a fan in the room to help with the air circulation. I compared notes with my husband and he found the room to be freezing enough even without any fan. So I guess it's a personal preference. No complain about the bed at all. It's very comfy and extra pillows and blankets are available in the room itself. The room has two windows on each side which provide ample natural lighting and beautiful views of the farm. The bathroom is also spacious and very clean.

Breakfast:
You choose what time you want breakfast to be served. Phil recommended 8am and that was perfect with us. Breakfast is served in the breakfast room, overlooking the beautiful mountains, apple trees on the front yard and stonewall fence. The breakfast room has huge glass wall so that you can enjoy the breath-taking outdoor view but still being inside the house. As we were enjoying the breakfast, we were also enjoying the birds chirping right outside. We saw at least 4 different kind of birds the one hour we were sitting there. A few humming birds were hoovering right in front of us I wondered if Phil the owner orchestrated that for his guests :-)

First course of breakfast consisted of fresh grapefruit paired with the area's sparkling apple cider. I have never been a fan of cider but now I am. Then it was followed by Phil's totally delicious homemade egg Benedict is made perfect by the awesome Hollandaise sauce !!! Makes me hungry just thinking about it now. Just when I thought it was the end of my breakfast, Phil came in and brought us delicious pastry. Phil knows when to give his guests space and when to have a conversation with them. He left us alone when were enjoying our breakfast and savoring all those magnificent view outside, and towards the end, he stepped in and had some conversation with us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week, I found myself longing to be back at the Caledonia Farm again and sip my coffee as the humming birds do their dance for me, or walk around outside at 6am watching the mountains and the land basking in the glory of the morning sun ( don't let me fool you; I am totally NOT a morning person. For me, getting up at 8am is early, let alone 6am, but there is something about this place that makes you want to start the day super early and go outside to enjoy the view and the air).

Will I go back to Caledonia Farm?? 100% yes!!! In fact, I will move in if I could (with my husband along of course). This place is so welcoming, serene and soothing and yet it's less than 10 minutes away from The Inn At Little Washington, 15 minutes away from wineries and right there by the Shenandoah Park.

Look no further, you have just found the place to be!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2007

We arrived, owner was not home. When he got there, he was cold and looked upon us a a major inconvenience. Did not feel comfortable in the public rooms or anywhere in his house. Sheets were musty and I questioned whether they had been washed. Owner took great offense. Our entire time was uncomfortable here. Look elsewhere.

Stayed January 2005
3 Thank tennisphotog
caledonia1812, owner at Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B, responded to this review, 16 February 2009
We are distressed over this unique comment among our thousands of guests over the last 25 years. Checking two months prior to the date of this posting, we find no one who left with other than positive statements in our comment book. We do ask our guests to commit to an approximate arrival time when they make their reservation, so that we can be here to greet them with our customary level of hospitality. Many of our guests comment that they "didn't know such hospitality still existed," and "you were the only host who spent any time talking with us." We help our guests to plan their recreational activities, make reservations at one of the outstanding local restaurants, and offer a full breakfast from a menu at the hour of their choice. We always make every effort to provide our guests with a comfortable and enjoyable visit.

Travellers are raving about these Flint Hill hotels

Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,105 reviews

Been to Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK