All reviews room was clean main building an older building the king size bed great price check in was quick and easy low price budget hotel young man coffee maker staff was friendly great room one night stay holiday inn free breakfast waffles va tech
Reviewed 7 September 2018

The hotel is very clean, comfortable and has good amenities. The location is convenient to I-81 and US 460 and we felt safe and secure there. The staff was terrific, especially Jackie and Jessica who checked us in and out. The variety of items available for breakfast was very good. We look forward to any future visits that may lead us your way and definitely recommend this hotel to others who are passing through the area.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PARIMAL G, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Thank you for being our guest here recently at the ECONO LODGE in Christiansburg VA. We was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us and we look forward to many more visits from you when traveling to the area. The guests have really enjoyed the updated rooms and our affordable prices Thank you again for your business here at the hotel.

Best Regards,
Hotel Manager - Guest Relations
ECONO LODGE by CHOICE HOTELS
CHRISTIANSBURG VA

Reviewed 12 August 2018

We where “banished” to the back motel part. That’s where we pet owners have to go to apparently here, and get a room with huge stain right when you walk in, yuck! Prostitute in parking lot, talking with two creepy cigarette smoking guys. Other than the nasty stain and who know what it was, the room was ok. WiFi a little slow. Just stayed one night.

Date of stay: August 2018
PARIMAL G, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

We appreciate your feedback in regards to your stay here with us. As you know we do have assigned rooms in our second building for guests with pets. We want you to know that we just had our carpets shampooed on 9/3/2018 and we try to have the carpets shampooed as often as needed, it is a huge expense and that is one of the main reasons why this ECONO LODGE has hard wood floors on all of the ground room floors. We have plans in the near future to replace all of the rooms on the 2nd floor with new hard wood floors as well.

We also don't expect our guests to look like they are coming down the red carpet when staying here at the hotel, as you mentioned we had prostitutes and creepy smoking guys in the parking lot, we do not judge our guest based on how one is dressed, we don't discriminate guests based on there appearance. We do want you know that if at any time you stay at a hotel and you see suspicious activity's going on to call the front desk so that they may have an opportunity to fix or correct any situation.

However, we want you to know that the carpets are cleaned and we hope you will give us an opportunity to come and be our guest again in the near future.

We hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer and thank you again for your business here at the ECONO LODGE.

Kind Regards,
Parimal G
Econo Lodge

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Ok, my car broke down enroute home. I had a late check-in 12:30am and got a late checkout. First issue is I had NO CAR, I was dropped off to hotel in a towtruck. I was a single female alone.

My room was in a different building and I had to walk from the office to the end of the building and then cross a parking lot to get to my building. As I walked I could see evidence of extended stay rooms; coolers, chairs and even grills outside unattended.

I get to my room and the room next to me was occupied by single men, who were outside in chairs in the walkway. I get in the room and lock up tight with some difficultly.

I grab a shower which didn't work properly. When turning on the shower only about 25% of the water flowed to the shower head while the rest continued to flow out the faucet. I called down to the desk to inform them of the issue.

The ice/vending areas ARE NOT MARKED, so I had to wander around to find them. Upon returning to my room, my key DID NOT WORK. I had to hoof it back to the office for a new at 1:30ish AM. Not fun!

At 9am I was awoken to AC/DC song Thunderstruck blaring out of a radio. I called the front desk to complain and about 5 min later a woman came up to their room to tell them to turn it down. Her tone was familiar with them like she had dealt with them before. They argued with her for about 15min before turning it off. I also heard her remark that they couldn't be out there drinking like that. They were both out on the walkway drinking beer at 9am.

I FELT UNSAFE!!!!

I got dressed and checked out. I complained about the issues and was told about feeling unsafe "We have security cameras for that" I literally rolled my eyes and asked for the manager. "They are out for vacation and won't return til next week"

I grabbed breakfast and as I sat there the clerk said, "They aren't outside anymore, would you like to go back to the room to rest?" NOPE!! I said as I rolled my eyes back so far in my head that I saw my spine.

I have a call into Choice Hotel corp regarding my stay.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
PARIMAL G, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Dear Michelle Banach,

We appreciate your time reviewing the ECONO LODGE hotel in Christiansburg VA. We are very pleased to see that you was able to come and be our guest, however we have came to find out that your stay was not as you had planned.

We encourage any guest that are travelling to always inform the front desk if they need special arrangements or accommodations, this hotel is not large it is two buildings that is close together in the same parking lot. When travelling and if you felt unsafe we could have easily switched rooms to a room close by to the lobby area. We never have any complaints about guest safety here as this area is very safe, there is a church next door, we are only two miles from the police department, we have staff on hand at all times, at all times the camera surveillance is monitoring the property, and a front desk staff readily available at all times of the hour. At any time you need a staff member or assistance call down to the front desk.

We encourage any guest that fill uncomfortable during there stay to dial zero from the guest room and we can assist the best we can, as you encountered someone playing music, and having a drink outside there room, we don't upset anyone by asking them in the morning to not drink or not to play music on there phone as guest come here on vacation, we respect everyone's concerns and we go the extra mile to try and make every guest happy.

We want you to know that this is not the ordinary clientele that stays with us as we are a hotel we have travelers from all over the United States as well as many country's, we provide the best accommodations possible for any guest that is passing by.

On behalf of the Econo Lodge we thank you for being our guest and we hope you have a great summer.

Kind Regards,
Parimal Gandhi
General Manger
Econo Lodge
Christiansburg VA

Reviewed 25 July 2018

Like Dr. Rosenthal, I had a similar experience with cancellation of a reservation prior to 2018 VT Graduation weekend. I also cancelled prior to the 90 days, by calling the hotel directly. I asked for confirmation, and the clerk said that I didn't need it. Well, I didn't think twice about insisting on an email/letter, as I took the word of the clerk that it was cancelled and my card would not be charged. Low and behold, it showed up on my credit card two weeks after I had "cancelled" the last week in Feb. (on my mid-March statement.) When I called to find out what was going on, "Jackson" said if I had no "record", all he would do for me is charge $341.76 (1/2 the total amount of 2 nights stay).

Then he suggested that I could try and "sell" the room to someone else, so that I would not be "out" my money (WOW, does this sound like good business practice???). Well, I considered it for about two weeks, and realized this was ridiculous. When I called back again and "re-cancelled", I implored him to believe my story that the person I spoke to had said I didn't need a cancellation confirmation (my son just bought a house in Blacksburg, I could prove I wasn't taking my business elsewhere).

Then I asked him if Econolodge re-sold the room (not me), would they consider reversing the charge. Jackson seemed to imply "he might". Well, guess what. He didn't stick to his word (what a surprise - see a pattern with employees?) A week before graduation, they resold the room (I have proof of "no vacancy" on those dates), and Econolodge is still insisting I pay. So, they received $683.00 (or maybe even more) from the person who ended up with my room, and as greedy and dishonest as they are, they still want another $342 from me.

It pains me to think that you can't trust someone's word, and that the GM and owner of this hotel is SO greedy that they have to still come after me when they are not out any money, as they re-sold the room. I could understand if they never re-booked it, but that is not the case.

So, lesson is, first, don't do business with this hotel; and second, always insist on something in writing because these folks are as dishonest as they come.

PS. I'd be happy to retract this, if the GM wants to finally drop the "cancellation" charge.

I

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa S
PARIMAL G, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Lisa Stern,

We appreciate you taking the time to post on TripAdvisor.com, we strongly disagree with your actions. We provided you with a refund of $341.63 in which we did not have to refund to your credit card. We have the cancellation policy's in place for all special events. Graduation in May we had a 60 day cancellation, you could not provide a cancellation number so there for we worked with you and had many phone conversations with you. "your response was this is not the Christian thing to do" Our staff and management are all on the same page in regards to the cancellation policy. The hotel policy's are in place for a reason. The Graduation weekend is the most busiest time of the year and as you read Dr. Rosenthal's comments as well, we provided him with a refund in which we did not have to. We will have no other choice but to strictly stand by our cancellation policy. Therefore if you have a reservation with us and you do not provide us with a cancellation number you will be responsible to pay for the nights reserved. It is your decision if you want to retract your comments as we will not be dropping the cancellation charge.

We explained this so many times to you. It is now July and we had the conversations with you in April. We are honest Christians and for you to say that we are dishonest, is your opinion.

Have a wonderful summer !

Best Regards,
Guest Services Manager
Econo Lodge by Choice Hotels
Christiansburg, VA

Reviewed 23 July 2018

You could here people walking on top floor but I figured I was getting what I paid for. Other than that it was clean and neat. Staff was nice and offered to make us a cup of coffee for us that night when I asked if there was any.

Room tip: Ask for quietest room
Date of stay: July 2018