Channel Bass Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
See available hotels
View Hotel
Comfort Suites Chincoteague(Chincoteague Island)
View Hotel
My Lighthouse Inn(Chincoteague Island)
View Hotel
Sea Shell Motel(Chincoteague Island)
View Hotel
Sea Hawk Motel(Chincoteague Island)
  • Pool
Anchor Inn(Chincoteague Island)
Rodeway Inn(Chincoteague Island)
View Hotel
All reviewsbasssconesb bother guestsenglish gardenamazing hostsmexican eggsbed and breakfastinteresting guestscaring hostsenglish teafeel right at homeeach guesta wonderful staybeach equipmentboat tourevery morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Barbara and David are warm and attentive hosts at the Channel Bass Inn. I was so relaxed by the experience and touched by their sincerity that I was teary at our parting.

Our room was meticulously clean (how do the housekeepers erase all the evidence of beach sand!?), the bed was comfortable, and the decor elegant without being fussy. The bed was double sheeted with high thread-count sheets. While there were a few times when the shower's temperature was a little tricky in our particular room, the bathroom came with a full tub and had plenty of space for two people to share a bathroom. There was a sense of privacy and calm, and I couldn't hear any of the other guests even though there was a full house of them over the weekend.

At the Channel Bath you feel as if you are staying with family who is kind enough to lend you all of their beach-going paraphernalia so you don't have to schlep it hundreds of miles from your home or buy it at Chincoteague. It's all neatly stacked in a side room. Barbara made sure we had towels, a beach umbrella, and a cooler with water bottles.

The real treat was the cuisine. Barbara oversaw three course breakfasts that included items such as fruit salads with berries and fresh mango, various breads such as ginger & zucchini, and fluffy herbed eggs with toasted croissants.

If you get a chance be sure to reserve a space at an afternoon tea. Also, be sure to go with an empty stomach because there are FOUR courses of sandwiches and pastries- all made in-house with a deft baker's hand. It's nearly a two-hour experience.

I appreciated that guests' food preferences and allergies were addressed without a hitch. During tea my partner tucked in to smoked salmon sandwiches since she didn't eat the traditional ham sandwiches, and I saw Barbara accommodate the gluten allergy of another guest without batting an eye.

The one thing that always makes me a little nervous at B&B's is making conversation with other guests at breakfast, especially when it's a longer, multi-course meal. Luckily I didn't need to worry about this at the Channel Bass. Barbara is such an outgoing and witty host that soon you are talking with everyone else at the table. You'll learn a bit about proper table manners, but you will also laugh at a bawdy reference here and there as Barbara dips in and out of the conversation with her schtick. She will tell you all you want to know about the ponies and their foals at the Pony Swim week, but she might also make a joke about doing a strip tease out of her apron. "At the end I won't be wearing my apron" she dryly remarked.

So, if you're in for a bit of loopy fun, you love good food, and your want a quiet retreat near the beautiful Wildlife Refuge and beach, head to the Channel Bass.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DCHoosierGal
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The house is well maintained and in a great location. The hosts were friendly and very helpful. We have a toddler, and Barbara helped us with our milk warming needs and made special breakfasts suited to her. Breakfasts were delicious, though sometimes a bit on the salty side. Her crab quiche, though, was one of the best crab recipes I've had. If you stay, I also highly recommend the English Tea. Barbara's scones were fabulous.
They also stock everything you will need while there including bicycles, beach chairs, umbrellas, suntan lotion and DEET (highly recommended for hikes in Assateague). Barbara and David pay exacting attention to detail.

Room Tip: We liked the suite with our daughter. It gave us some privacy and allowed our daughter to sleep more soundly.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nondescript
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My mom and I stayed here for a few nights and it was wonderful. Barbara and David were so nice and helpful. They made us feel welcome and helped make our trip sucessfull. Breakfast was extremely good both mornings, I wish we had stayed long enough to try the afternoon tea. The location is great, close to many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Thanks Barbara for the wonderful stay in your house! The breakfast is very good and the atmosphere makes it even better: you get welcome in British English, switch over and talk in Spanish and finish in German and this are only 3 of the many languages Barbara knows. Absolutly great to borrow everything you need for the beach and in the evening you will get the best tables in the best restaurants in town if you like. Just let Barbara know and you will spend some wonderful days you will never forget.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I just returned to Ohio after 5 perfect days at The Channel Bass Inn.This was a wonderful experience.The rooms are all very different and all very charming.The service is excellent ! You will want for nothing. Barbara & David are the perfect hosts.The location is perfect for walking the town and visiting Assateague.The price is very very reasonable.My only complaint is the food.It was too good and I ate too much.!Best breakfasts ever.!We also enjoyed the Tea.We had a fabulous time and will definitely be back. It was a slice of Heaven!

Room Tip: The rooms vary greatly in size from small and cozy to large suites.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple