“Good Korean cuisine”

Bamboo House Restaurant
Ranked #230 of 629 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Reviewed 13 May 2016

We were six adults & two kids and had plenty of food all around. We ordered multiple apps & meals, although 3 of us got the beef bulgogi & one chicken bulgogi. Sweet and sour pork & ribs with lots of rice to go around. Not a whole lot of ambiance & kinda strange stuffed animals against a mural but we were there for the food.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed 13 April 2016

So, I'll preface this by stating I'm a Veteran and served for 2 years in South Korea. I've traveled that country and eaten just about every single thing it has to offer. I'm also from the Washington DC (NOVA) Area where there is plenty of nice options for Korean Food (Honey Pig) to name one, in Richmond you can go to 88 Garden, and in Charlottesville, I'd rather go to Zzaamm! Before stepping foot into the Bamboo House every again.
First, the "Waitress" was walking around on her cellphone on the floor. WHAT? Uh... how about you fill up our water glasses, and stop chatting on your phone in front of the guests. Second, the food is nothing close to tasting like Korean. The dumplings were over done. The spicy pork did not have the Korean spice flavor it should have. My friend ordered Chinese food and couldn't eat it. I tried a piece and it had no flavor. Again, over cooked.

Just stay away. Its not good.

Date of visit: March 2016
1  Thank Chrismarino
Reviewed 20 September 2015 via mobile

One of Charlottesville's best little secrets. A few miles north of the airport but well worth the trip. Simple exterior but very nice on the inside. Clean, tastefully decorated. Now about the food - Goodness gracious! They serve Chinese & Korean dishes. I wanted to try the Korean food since I've never had it before tonight but I'll definitely be back. The dishes were all fresh, seasoned and spiced so well, from the Mandu appetizers to the Kimchi, which was spicy and yummy but not thermonuclear, to the other side dishes and entrees. Everything was such a pleasant surprise. My wife and I shared and we didn't find anything that we didn't enjoy. Neither of us are tofu people but there was a tofu side dish that we scarfed down - it was great! The price was very reasonable for the quality & quantity of the meal. Needless to say Go & Enjoy!

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 28 April 2015

Spouse and I returned to Bamboo House for another meal. This time, we ordered the seafood pancake, having read great reviews about it. But, we were unprepared for the huge size, having expected something about the size of personal pizzas. Instead, it came out looking like a 12-14-inch pizza. It was nicely pre-cut into bite-size servings, and it was chock full of octopus and squid, with possibly some shrimp. Also green and sweet red peppers, all in a soft (flour and egg?) pancake base, much like a very moist Vietnamese crepe dough. Verdict: absolutely delicious, and enough for two people eating lightly. But, we also had ordered bulgogi (for the first time) and a repeat of bibmbap (sp?). There was a very ample serving of the bulgogi, thinly sliced and marinated beef well cooked in a wok or frying pan such that juices abounded on the platter. It was accompanied by a large platter with baby Romaine lettuce leaves, all nicely separated and washed and ready to receive the meat and whatever of the condiments we chose to add. The bibmbap was, as before, freshly mixed for us at the table and very tasty. Well, we couldn't quite finish everything that we had ordered, and the server, a gracious senior, deftly packed the remains into a styrofoam box to take home. It made for a glorious lunch the next day. Once again, we were the only patrons there, and once again we received personal and attentive service. The check came to $40 and change before tip. We certainly "ate large" for that amount. And, to reply to a review elsewhere, spouse used the restroom before we left, and she reported that it was clean and efficient. So, no plumbing problems encountered. We shall return again, of course!

Date of visit: April 2015
Reviewed 25 April 2015 via mobile

It's been 20 or so years since I've been here...I used to work in Staunton and drive here at least once a week for the Kimchi soup and sometimes the bulgogi. I came up to Richmond for business April 2015 and decided to visit Staunton and a few other places and wanted to see if Bamboo House was still open. After driving by all the other Korean restaurants looking because I had forgotten the name but definitely not the taste and 20 years ago I think this was the only Korean establishment, I finally found it. Let me tell you, I live in NC and there are a number of okay Korean restaurants, nothing though that compared to Bamboo House. It was as good or even better than 20 years ago and the owner recognized me! It's nothing to look at from the road but inside is clean and very friendly. The food is amazing!!! I am very picky about my food so when I say Yum...it's a well deserved YUM!

1  Thank Road810132