New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #24 of 526 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Bar, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We've been in Charlottesville since 2001. Our goal is to pair delicious pizza with unique and surprising beers. We are located on the Corner right next to historic UVA. Go HOOS!
Pittsburgh
“Food was really good...so was the service (sort of)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We were in Charlottesville for about 24 hours and after a day out and about we decided that instead of heading to the hotel to freshen up and grab a "fancy" dinner that we'd instead head out for Pizza. We knew MM was a chain and we typically avoid chains, but since there isn't a MM in my hometown, we thought we'd give it a shot.
We got there and the hostess (if you call her that AND could find her) told us that the wait would be about 20 minutes and put us on the list. 20 minutes where I'm from is normal and goes by quick....but when 20 turns to 30....then 40....the 50....one starts to get annoyed. After a while, I found the hostess and she said "sorry, I must have underestimated the wait". At this point I was beginning to become annoyed but we've waited this long we pretty much had no choice...especially with the smells of the pizza. I had to try it. The place was obnoxious too. I know its a college town, but wow. Staff letting 10-12 people at a table meant for 6 or 8 was nuts. Chairs blocking the main passageway because of this wasn't very smart either.
Anyway, after about an hour and twenty minutes the girl finally said "2 seats are open at the bar if you want." Better than not eating at all I suppose.
Once we sat the bartenders were very friendly and extremely attentive. They took our drink orders as soon as we ready and were spot on with refills. Quite a nice beer selection I might add. They were also extremely fast with getting our order in once we were ready.
Wife and I chose the "philosophers pie" which is steak, artichokes, olives. The pizza was fantastic. It came out quickly and cooked to perfection. Just the right amount of toppings. Crust was chewy and crisp. We'll done.
All in all the food was a 5, the waitstaff (at the bar) was a 5 but the noise (even loud for a college bar/restaurant) and the inexperience of the hostess and lack of control from the staff in general was a huge turn off. I couldn't even imagine what this place would be like when class is IN session.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“salt galore”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

salty foods. Service not good after students graduated. Kitchen had grease on floor when we went there..it was tracked out to bar area. Luckily no one fell.

Visited June 2012
Front Royal, Virginia
“Great Pizza And Service Started Out Good But......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I was in Charlottesville for the day and by the time the lunch hour rolled along I was famished. Did some cursory checking on restauant quality via Trip Advisor prior to my days journey, so u wouldn't head in the wrong direction. I found myself downtown at the lunch hour and passed a few promising establishments prior to kicking my heels up at Mellow Mushroom. The place was rather busy for a Monday afternoon. This was my first time, so when I went in, I wasn't sure as to whether I needed to be seated, check-in, or just fend off a table for myself. I chose the latter and that turned out to be the correct protocol. The initial service was quick, as the drink order and menu order were promptly taken. This is obviously an establishment that caters to the University, but I did not feel unwelcome nor out of place. When the waiter brought out the plates, I noticed a pizza booger on the rim of the plate. (Dried up pizza remnant that has gone through the wash and dry cycle but didn't find it's way off). Alright, no big deal, the plate had gone through the cleaning process, so I simply took my thumb nail and dispatched the booger properly. The pizza arrived shortly after, was piping hot, and looked and smelled delicious. I ate and drank. I ate and drank some more...wonder where the waiter is. Ate and drank yet more.....hmmmmm...no waiter. Finished the pizza and my beverage.....I wish this waiter would show up again, I am getting thirsty and need a box. Uhhhhh....who do I pay, the invisible man? The pizza was excellent and I would return upon future trips to Cville. Although I might sit in a different section if I were to spot the same waiter.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Diego, California
“Awesome Pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Really good pizza, friendly service. Loved the different choices of toppings, very different but all were good. Our son had a calzone and we had a white sauce pizza with pesto. Delicious! Place looked pretty popular with the locals.

Visited May 2012
East coast
“Good pizza, college atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Good pizza, good beer. Kind of all you really need sometimes. Very much a college town atmosphere with lots of college kids. Great service. Would go back to this Mellow Mushroom.

Visited April 2012