“What a great place to celebrate 53 years of marriage.”
Review of C & O Restaurant

C & O Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 628 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2018

We celebrated with our granddaughter who is attending UVa. The beef Carpaccio was excllent for starters. The Rag Mountain trout was melt in your mouth delicious as was the roasted halibut in heirloom tomato sauce and pesto aioli. If back this way it will be a definite repeat for dinner.

2  Thank Garron R

Reviewed 3 August 2018

The offerings from the kitchen were well prepared and presented but nothing that jumped off the planet and screamed WOW.We had some issues with front of house lack of attention to detail,such as awol reservations-even though I had called and confirmed 48 hours prior.As a result,we ate in the basement on a tiny 2 top with bar traffic ,service ,nocking my shoulders at every pass.Perhaps knowing that we were from out of town influenced our subpar dining experience.

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Last night my wife and I dined here based on our hotel’s recommendation. A good choice. Sitting at the bar, the attentive and conversational bartender was also our dinner server. He made two excellent bourbon based cocktails, with numerous excellent bourbons to choose from.

My wife had the chicken and I had the trout. Both were excellent. These dishes were accompanied by a right bank Bordeaux of table wine from a surprising broad list.

All this finished with two cups of freshly made coffee and homemade desserts.

This is a 90th percentile resturant; well worth your time to seek out.

1  Thank GrandparentsGoGlobal
Reviewed 25 July 2018

I love this restaurant and the food. My friends and I always make it our first choice during Restaurant Week. Chef Dean Maupin has a wonderful menu to choose from. I am always hopeful the sticky toffee pudding is on he menu as well as a scallop dish. Great and friendly service.

1  Thank Cat S
Reviewed 17 July 2018

10 reasons why eating dinner at Charlottesville’s C&O was the most fun I’ve had eating out in a while.

1) They left up the sign and took the name from whatever greasy spoon was slinging hash in Charlottesville’s (no doubt then-decrepit) warehouse district 40 years ago.

2) They had reservations available on Saturday night of restaurant week. (I hate restaurant week, but whaddayagonnado?)

3) Brendan, our server, was charming, wore a pink flamingo shirt that complemented his vaguely pompadour-ish hairstyle, and brought us a couple of glasses of Epernay-origined fizz as the party was ending. Plus: he knew his stuff.

4) The food was great, (restaurant week chicken excepted) and cheap. Mushroom and confit risotto, crab, lamb stew, one of those multifarious chocolate assortments you get because, these days, mousse alone is not enough.

5) The crowd was civilized and even well-dressed. But fun.

6) There was wine. Good half-bottles, too (because I’m old).

7) The cheese course was actual slabs of cheese, not those teeny little nibbles you usually get. Plus, they just give you cheese, rather than rolling up some cart and forcing you to sit through a twenty minute presentation on the variety of chestnut tree whose leaves are wrapped around some obscure goat cheese. Also, one of the cheeses was bleu d’Avergne, and “Avergne” is one of my favorite French words to pronounce. Getting that “rgne” combination reasonably correct is one of the funnest things you can do with your tongue. And on Bastille Day! Also, also: discovered that my fiancee likes Carr’s Water Crackers, which are important to me.

8) They were playing Blossom Dearie on the way out. (Check out the link – it will make you smile)

9) The basement bar walks well that fine line between grungy and posh, perhaps anchored by the bartender rocking Elvis sideburns, a pearl-button western shirt with a psychedelic yoke, and an alarmingly loud 70s tie. You can balance that, you can balance dang near anything.

3  Thank cpsweeneydc