“Terrific locally sourced, creatively presented food. High end comfort food.”
Review of The Local

The Local
Reserve with OpenTable
The Local is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 553 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Terrific locally sourced, creatively presented food. High end comfort food.”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Charlottesville has the good fortune to be in the heart of excellent farm country so it's consistently surprising that more places do not take advantage of the excellent produce, meats and bounty of the region. The Local not only does take advantage of it but also showcases it by offering delicious meals which feature local meats, cheeses, and produce. The food is not overly fancy but it's extremely delicious. Think perfect roast chicken, an incredible meat loaf, gourmet burger. But also gnocchi with beef and lamb ragu, steak frites, trout, and butternut squash bake. The food is well cooked so that it's possible to taste how fresh it is and to enjoy it for its goodness rather than how many local food places are where the acrobatics of the cookery mask the actual flavors. The atmosphere is cozy (wood stove in winter, outdoor balcony in spring). Total win.

• Visited February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Accidental find proves delicious!”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Yesterday, we drove to Barboursville, Va. to look at a car for my step-son. After, our errand was accomplished, I looked for a good place for a Sunday night dinner. I found a place called The Local in Charlottesville. We decided to take a chance because they served grass fed beef, organic lamb and seafood, and free range chicken, all locally raised. We found the place using our GPS, and it was crowded. We had no reservation, but we didn't expect to have to wait at 8pm on a sun. evening. Luckily, they found a table upstairs for us. We loved the wine selection. They had some very interesting local wines by the glass, and an extensive and fairly priced list by the bottle. I chose a glass of the Grand Cru Olivier. It was an excellent choice.
My husband and I decided to go the small plates route. We each ordered an appetizer, a salad, and an appetizer sized pasta dish.
I ordered the nori wrapped tuna, fried tempura style, wtih a wasabi sauce, and a soy honey sauce, with a seaweed gastrique, served on a bed of soba noodles. Yes it was as good as it sounds. The presentation was gorgeous. My husband ordered the crab bisque, and it was full of crab, creamy, with a little bit of spice. We both ordered the goat cheese salad, which I would not reccommend. The vinegarette had way too much vinegar, and the beets were almost non-existant. For our pasta course, I ordered the Truffle Mushroom ragout. It was very rich, and prepared perfectly. The noodles were al dente, the truffle oil gave just the right amount of earthiness to the mushrooms, it was hard to believe there was no meat involved. I was unable to finish, so I had to bring it home to enjoy the next day.
My husband ordered the gnocchi which was also prepared as it should be. I rarely order gnocchi out becasue too often it is dense and doughy. These little pillows were perfection. The sauce had lamb and beef, and the flavor was that of a slowly braised lamb shank.
In conclusion, I will say that most of the food was amazingly delicious, the service was on time and professional, and the atmosphere is that of a comfortable neighborhood restaurant. It is on the expensive side, but it is possible to get a something wonderful, and a glass of wine for $30pp. I do suggest reservations, but if you find yourself in Charlottesville and want a good place to dine, drop by, they may just have a seat for you.

Virginia
“Glad to see more locally-sourced food on the menu again!”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Going to restaurants that make it a priority to source food items locally is important to us so we were thrilled when The Local first opened. We enjoyed a few visits there, but stopped going after a visit when we found few local options and felt the quality of the food had decreased as well.

We gave it another try recently and were pleasantly surprised by re-emergence of more local foods. Our drinks were served quickly - the martinis are really good. We started with the cheese board, a nice assortment of cheese and fruits served with toasted baguette slices that we devoured quickly. (Yes, we were hungry, but the combinations were delicious.)

We also got burgers that were cooked just as requested and served with crisp french fries (they serve these in a separate container, a sort of metal ribbed cone, that keeps them from getting soggy from the rest of the meal). The meatloaf was perfectly seasoned and served with a beefy, barbeque sauce (so good I am still trying to copy at home).

The service was very good, though we did feel a bit rushed at the end (it turned out our table was reserved for more people later). All in all a good meal and we will be back.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great for drinks, foods average”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Love coming here in the summer and sitting out on the deck. The bar always has a great atmosphere for a drink and an appetizer. We've been disappointed here in the lack of veggie options on the menu. There aren't that many and when we've ordered them, they are unimaginative and don't taste very fresh. I suppose if you are a meet eater this is a great place to go.

Visited February 2012
San Francisco, California
“Comfortable and casual dining”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I visited my sister for Thanksgiving, and my request for a "good local restaurant/watering hole" brought us here the night prior to the holiday. The restaurant was very busy, but we had called ahead and were sat upstairs after waiting for a few minutes to clear the table. Our server took some time to get to us and we waited for our meal, but we were not in a huge rush - otherwise, I would have been a bit perturbed. Beer selection was fantastic. My sister ordered the macaroni and cheese with truffle oil - a delicious and fancy treat compared to your average macaroni and cheese. I had an excellent cheeseburger, cooked perfectly. Overall, great food, decent service. I'd recommend this place if you're not looking for anything fancy and want good comfort food.

• Visited November 2011