Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia
US$ 242
US$ 212
Hampton Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$ 159
US$ 140
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$ 175
US$ 153
Oakhurst Inn(Charlottesville)
US$ 207
Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$ 126
US$ 102
SleepInn
Hyatt Place Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$ 197
US$ 199
US$ 185
The Clifton(Charlottesville)
US$ 217
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
US$ 160
All reviewsroom was cleanfree breakfastan older hotelbagelsthe staff was friendly and helpfulrotundaorientationschoolmonticello
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My mother-in-law recently stayed 3 mights at the Cavalier Inn. The Cavalier is close to the UVA hospital so that was a big plus since she was there to be close by my sister-in-law who had surgery at UVA. The staff of the Cavalier Inn went above and beyond to help out my mother-in-law during her stay. My mother-in-law is 81 years old and was there without a car. The staff talked to her and told her that they would personally take her to UVA each day whenever she wanted to go and then come back to pick her up each day whenever she was ready to leave. They made sure she had the desk number to call them when she was ready to come back to the Cavalier. On one of the nights, they could not pick her up, as promised, because their car had broken down but they sent a cab to get her and they footed the bill for it. They did a wonderful job helping her out, making sure she was safe, and making sure she got where she needed/wanted to go when she needed/wanted to go. She said the room was nice, the bed was comfortable, the staff were great, and she had no complaints. If she's happy, we're happy. Many thanks to the staff for their help during a difficult time!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Hello

Thank you for writing a your review, we are pleased that you were happy with your stay and appreciate you taking time to let us know about it. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to Charlottesville, and we are very happy that things worked out ok with your sister in-law. we wish her a speedy recovery.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

When we entered the lobby to inquire about room availability it was nice and clean. Once we got in our rooms, we found them far different. Small and dirty. Walls were very thin and I heard neighbors all night. No thanks.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Amsterdamtennis

Hello

thank you for letting us know about your experience while staying at our hotel, I am sorry to see that you were not satisfied with your stay, our hotel just finished renovations in 2011 so it is coming up on a year since we have completed those, with new wall vinyl, carpeting, drapes, new flat screen TV’s, new refrigerators and microwaves I am surprised to read that in your comments and I am sorry to see you felt that the room was not up to your standards. I hope that you will give us another chance if you should return to Charlottesville again.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I have been staying at the Cavalier Inn frequently over the past nine months. They advertise a "full hot breakfast". Waffles and coffee is not a "full hot breakfast". Their breakfast is carb heaven and that is not what I was looking for. For the first time since I have been staying there the past nine months, they did have the artificial looking scrambled eggs this week. That is a slight improvement. Also the artificial fruit for decoration has to go, especaily when they had no fruit. There were mornings when they did not even have cereal. The staff were extraordinary! Always very friendly and helpful! Their cheap inkjet printer for guest use has been broken for nine months, that is atrocious! Off-season price is tolerable but what they have been charging recently is outrageous for what they offer. I also hate their electronic keys. I have more problems with their keys than any other hotel!

Room Tip: If you have a warm spell in the winter ask for the pool side room. The glass wall on the street side generates a lot of heat and you cannot use AC until they turn it on late spring for the whole hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Hello

thank you for your review, we appreciate you taking time to let us know about your experience, we change our breakfast items all of the time, we always serve fresh whole fruit with apples, bananas and oranges, when the seasonal comes in we do serve it, I am not sure how you missed it, our business centers has been a big challenge, on a weekly basis someone uses it and breaks it, or they take the ink cartridges out and as I am sure your aware it cost money to replace them, and that adds up fast on a one or twice a week basis, so we do our best to keep ink the machine, we did put a larger more expensive printer out and less than 2 week someone broke it, it is not so easy to replace a $1,000.00 piece of equipment. I am sure if it were your business and this damage was happening all of the time you would be less app to keep replacing expensive equipment that people do not respect and take care of. We hope next time if you stay you will see the new equipment that has come in and replaced the other, We just hope no one breaks it before you get a chance to see and use it.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

If you are visiting the University of Virginia as I was last week, this is a terrific location for all aspects of campus and the immediate community. Parking is a challenge on campus, but the hotel offers free parking to guests, and you really can walk everywhere from there. The staff is very friendly and helpful, even googling a restaurant that was suggested to me by a Charlottesville native, but which the front desk was not familiar with. They got out a map for guests and marked it clearly for the drive to the restaurant. However, the rooms are a bit tired. They are perfectly functional, and the beds were comfortable. On a scale of 1 low - 5 high, I'd say the bed comfort was a 4. But there were little things that were unappealing, like loose molding and the hot water nob in the shower was loose from the tiles. The bathroom was strictly functional, nothing more. All in all, would I return? Probably if my business or visit was at UVA. If you are spending time elsewhere in Charlottesville, I'd look around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the campus and playing fields, as opposed to the parking lot. Though the trees and plantings are plentiful in the area, so the back of the Inn won't be a concrete jungle of a view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
CavalierInn, General Manager at Cavalier Inn at the University of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Hi

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay, I am sorry to see that you had a few problems in the bathroom, I am not sure if you saw some molding or one of several of the bathrooms that were we're experimenting in on new grout color in small sections along with a coordinating caulking on several rooms on the tub walls bath floors and caulking area in the tubs to try and figure out what we would like the best, but I will certainly have my staff go through every bathroom to check the all the tub knobs and check to make sure we have no mold, since we spray the tubs and shower walls daily with bleach cleaner, it is not often that we see mold in our bathrooms, but we appreciate you bringing all these things to our attention. I hope you will come back to see that changes that we are making in our guest bathrooms

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Chose this hotel from the UVA website. I can't believe the University owns this place and admits that they own it. It should be torn down. It's one of those places where you are not sure if they changed the sheets or if the towels are clean. We arrived during a power outage. There were glow sticks in the stairwell for illumination. GLO STICKS. The emergency lights were not working. Our room faced the parking lot. It's the type of room with a full length window that faces an exterior hallway. Got to listen to a housekeeping member on his phone while he detailed his next court appearance for some crime he had committed. One of the two elevators was broken. On the plus side it is a convenient location and some of the staff was nice. Ample parking.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Malifornia

Hello

thank you for writing your opinion about our hotel, on your visit, Charlottesville Electrical Company had a power spike and effected one of the city’s transformers is in front of our hotel, so while the city made repairs to their equipment, out hotel still maintained partial power and thus you saw the emergency lighting in the hotel on with all of the regular lighting, we added the glow sticks in our stairwells because our elevators turned off by the city and guests were asked to use the stairs, the elevators are programmed to do this in a power outage or power spike, the fire department and electric company reset them when they feel it is safe, so I apologize that you felt you were inconvenienced during a power surge on city equipment that was out of our control.