“Great surprise”
Review of La Taza

La Taza
Ranked #170 of 607 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: La Taza is many things. A coffeehouse. A charming lunch spot. The perfect place for a tasty brunch in the city. A trendy outdoor hangout for drinks during the warm months. And a place for unique Latin-inspired cuisine at affordable prices in Charlottesville, VA. Our goal is to provide you, our customers, with a taste of Latin culture in a clean, casual, and inviting environment. 'La Taza' is spanish for 'the cup.' We are known for our coffee - which is Rainforest Alliance Certified and purchased directly from the farmer in Guatemala - as well as our authentic Latin hospitality and are dedicated to bringing you an amazing dining experience. Our atmosphere has been designed to create a paradise getaway - without actually having to get away! With a menu featuring flavors from Cuba, Costa Rica, Argentina, Jamaica, and more - you'll find something delicious that suits your tastes! We feature a full bar with unforgettable handmade drinks. Sip on something while you relax on our tiki-inspired patio or cozy up at one of our inside tables. If you want to learn more about us, come on over and stay awhile! We appreciate relaxing and invite you to relax with us today.
Reviewed 10 February 2018

Discovered this place after leaving another restaurant that didn't look like we wanted to go in. Friendly staff and didn't have to wait for a table. Decor was unique and some great items on the menu and it took a while to make a selection. Food was very good and we will be back later when they will have live entertainment.

1  Thank Randolph T

Reviewed 11 October 2017

La Taza has successfully overtaken Belmont neighbor Mas for worst service in Charlottesville. Note: Mas seem to have righted there ship a few years ago, the few times I've been there recently I found the staff pleasant and surprisingly un-annoying.

I've avoided La Taza for several years because of a string of bad experiences where I felt my patronage was a burden to the staff. We had a meetup group pick the Belmont coffee place for brunch last week, and unfortunately my previous perception was unabashedly reinforced.

Grumpy staff, cramped space, shooed out the door rather ham-handedly. Mediocre food and coffee. Nice tiki-hut, but it was a rainy sunday 11am, so that didn't help.
The real kicker that convinced me they just don't like service is the "house rule" that they will not do separate checks, and they "can only split a bill up to 4 ways, all equal".

WHAT? WTF? WHAT?
Ok, so you can't be bothered to break down each person's order and give written totals for each person. Ok, boo, but ok. We the paying customers will do your job for you. Here is $50 and 5 credit cards, can you do $30, $15, $25, $20, and $30?

NO, way too much work. I can only take 4 of the 5 credit cards, and each has to pay 1/4, or $30 per card.
WHAT? Why do you hate customers so much? Wait, are you actually a snooty Parisian restaurant in disguise?

Either way, best of luck to you. I don't see coming back anytime soon.

2  Thank Sean O
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely breakfast on the outdoor patio. The coffee was excellent and my dish, the Machaca, which consisted of eggs mixed with a variety of veggies and pepper jack cheese, was absolutely delicious.

1  Thank SaraKate916
Reviewed 2 October 2017

We had an amazing brunch and great coffee. The menu had a wonderful selection of Latin dishes. The menu had many vegetarian and Vegan choices. We'll definitely be going back!

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

For someone who spends thousands in the restaurants of Charlottesville, I expect to be treated better especially one bringing in five other folks for brunch on a Sunday. Too busy to split checks? Give me a break. Adding 25% gratuity? Give me a break. I tip big, but only when the service is halfway decent. Food is decent. Coffee is good. Cold alcoholic drinks are severely watered down. Unacceptable. Far too many choices in this city for that type of BS. I won't be back.