L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Boyce B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We were supposed to go to Clearwater beach Florida but hurricane Irma stopped us and we had to develop a back up plan. We have stayed at L'Auberge three other times so we started our trip here for our anniversary. Strangely enough it was a very quiet night and I believe there was only one other guest staying so it was so nice and quiet and peaceful. We arrived a little early and discovered some Paw paw trees on the property...I meant to take one home and forget but that was a neat discovery. We stayed in the Renoir room this time, it is as lovely as the others and the beds are always so comfortable you can hardly stand to get out in the morning.
We had dinner in the restaurant and I discovered that I am in love with pork jowl! Who knew but OMG, so delicious as was the entire meal. Super attentive server. The breakfast in the morning never disappoints, plenty to select from and you can't help but leave 'full'....
Staying here is always such a treat for me. Looking for my next excuse!

Room Tip: The little cottage rooms offer great privacy and are so darn cute!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Thank you for your kind words! We are happy you enjoyed the Renoir room, which has been newly renovated earlier this year. We too have to admit, that we're quite fond of the pork jowl as well! We hope you will find an excuse to come visit us again soon, so that we may your gracious hosts. Merci!

Reviewed 18 September 2017

My wife fell in love with this charming bed and breakfast as soon as we were shown our room. staff was very attentive and efficient. After a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed, we were treated to a gourmet breakfast. The countryside is beautiful and within driving distance of several fine wineries. The highlight of the stay was the wonderful four course dinner in the on site restaurant.

1  Thank Jeff M
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your dinner in our fine dining restaurant followed by our full gourmet breakfast in the morning. During your next stay, make sure to dine in our bar and lounge which features brasserie fare paired with craft beers and cocktails. We look forward to being your gracious hosts again soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2017

This B&B is tastefully done with a french flair. The suite we had was nicely decorated and comfortable to occupy. The food at breakfast and dinner were exceptional. The owner and his son are so pleasant to chat with. You can see all the love and hard work they have accomplished over decades. They truly look out for their guests and make them feel so very welcome. Everything we experienced there was nicely done!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Thank you for your kind words. We hope to be your hosts again soon!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful B&B in August for 4 nights to celebrate his birthday and our 26th anniversary. We usually stay at luxury resorts or hotels, so we were not sure what to expect. The location was perfect, the restaurant looked great, and the reviews were very good, so I booked it.

We stayed at The Villa in room 14 (Louis XIV). It was amazing!!! The Villa is beautifully decorated, and you immediately feel like you've been transported to France. The room itself was spacious, with a four poster king bed (that was extremely comfortable!), large sitting area with fireplace, coffee bar with an ice bucket (never empty), armoire, and well appointed with toiletry items, books, playing cards, and area information. The bathroom has a very nice steam shower (now my husband insists we install one in our home) that we enjoyed greatly. Everything was immaculate, which is great because I have asthma and it is triggered by dust and strong perfume (I was thrilled there was no carpet in the room only beautiful hardwood floors with a couple rugs-no dust!). Housekeeping changed the sheets and cleaned the room each day.

Our first night, which was a Friday, we had dinner in the restaurant. The menu was a bit confusing at first, but our server was very helpful in explaining it to us. We were able to pick 2 appetizers, 1 entree, and 1 dessert each (the 2 appetizers is what had us a bit confused...seemed too generous for the price). I loved the 4 courses because the portions were small, but filling, so it was a great opportunity to try lots of menu items. Each course was brought out slowly, as it should be, giving us time to savor our wine & meal and enjoy conversation. Saturday night the restaurant was much more crowded, so it was louder and each course seemed to be rushed. The girl that cleared the table and refilled the water asked my husband if he needed a bag for his crumbs and asked if I needed a pitcher the third time she filled my water at the end of the meal. I was a little taken aback, but maybe she was just socially awkward and not trying to be rude? All the other wait staff and servers were fantastic, and our experience the night before was great, so I just overlooked the odd comments. I would definitely go back because it is fine dining in the countryside, but I would go on any other night than Saturday. Unfortunately, we did not dine at the bar! Next time!

One of the many highlights of the trip was breakfast!!! I cannot even describe how delicious breakfast was each morning! We started with (buffet style) yogurt, fresh fruit salad, and granola. Homemade croissants & another baked good was waiting in a basket on our table for us each morning with butter and jams. I thought that was breakfast, but no, the innkeeper offered us a choice of about 3 breakfast entrees. I had eggs benedict the first morning, which is my favorite breakfast in the world! I was over the moon. It was served with roasted potatoes and a provencal tomato. My husband had peach crepes. Every morning we had different offerings. We literally did not eat lunch our entire stay because we were so full from breakfast.

We started most mornings off with a 5 minute drive over to the Virginia State Arboretum, and walked the gardens and trails for about an hour before breakfast. It was a very peaceful way to start the day. I especially loved the herb garden, and the baby bunnies hopping about. We even drove over one evening for a stroll just before dusk.

Each morning the innkeeper would ask us what our plans were for the day, and was always so kind to make suggestions of things to do. We visited the Shenandoah Museum and walked the Glen Bernie House and gardens, as recommended. It was spectacular. The historic house is lovely, and the lavishly designed gardens seemed to go on forever. I could have stayed there all day.

Christian, the inn's sommelier, took us on a wine tour. He picked great wineries to visit that had exceptional wines and great history. We enjoyed meeting many of the owners and seeing their passion and enthusiasm for wine making. It was a fun and informative tour.

Our room was on the second story overlooking the pool, which concerned me a little bit when I booked our stay...possible noise issues late at night. However, the only issue we had was Saturday night a very loud (and slightly obnoxious) group of people arrived as we were leaving for dinner. The innkeeper immediately came out. I'm not sure what happened, but the loud group was gone and we had a peaceful night when we returned from dinner and a walk. I got the sense the innkeeper strives to ensure everyone has an enjoyable stay.

Also, some of the reviews I read before I went complained about road noise, which concerned me. The Villa is on a road, but there are cows across the road and beside The Villa, so it is very rural. I slept with a window open each night because I loved waking up to the sound of cows mooing and the occasional train. I did not notice any noise when the window was closed. We did not stay at the main inn, though we did have dinner there, so I cannot speak to the rooms at that location. I certainly would not let the fear of road noise keep me from staying at The Villa. Our stay was very quiet and serene.

Bottom line: The innkeeper was a very attentive and gracious host, as well as a phenomenal chef! The B&B was extremely clean and well decorated. The pool was heated and clean (drinks provided poolside). The gardens were lovely. The wine tour was fun. We had a great experience, for a reasonable price, came home relaxed and look forward to returning here in the very near future.

Tip: Take advantage of L'Auberge Provencale's website. It's packed with pics and videos of the rooms and B&B, which are true to life. There's also a wealth of information on things to do in the area.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you for your kind words! We want to thank you for choosing to stay at L'Auberge Provencale and are pleased you enjoyed yourselves. Our most sincerest apologies regarding your interaction with one of our staff member at dinner and her comments, we strive to serve fabulous food with gracious service and make every guests stay with us as pleasant as possible. Since your stay, she is no longer working at L'Auberge Provencale. The Villa's are only a 3 mile drive from the main property, where the pool is located with beautiful grounds to explore. We do have to admit, we love the aromatherapy steam showers as well! It's great to unwind after a hike at Sky Meadows State Park or a stroll thru the Virginia State Arboretum. There are several nearby wineries that are great for a chauffeured wine tour or even a self guided wine tour to enjoy the day away in the Shenandoah Valley. We hope to be your gracious hosts again soon!

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Booked the Coco Channel 10 room this trip and it was very nice. While too soon to use the fireplace, it has that feature with two nice comfy chairs ready to use. We took a lighter dinner in the recently added bar seating area and it was delightful. We each had starters but took a split plate entree for $2 additional and they did a beautiful job presenting two plates with all the nice touches, which is much better than getting one plate to physically split. The Creme Brulee dessert was great. We wanted to have room for the wonderful breakfast to follow in the morning - which it was. We spent some time in Winchester on Sunday and lingered on Monday and felt like we had enjoyed a full weekend celebrating our anniversary.

Room Tip: Each room is unique and is well described on their website. About half the rooms have a steam sho...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thank you for your kind words. Thank you for staying at L'Auberge Provencale to celebrate your anniversary, we enjoyed celebrating with you! We hope you will let us be your gracious hosts again, soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boyce
14.1 km away
24.1 km away
Hillbrook Inn
Hillbrook Inn
#1 of 6 in Charles Town

Been to L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK