“Just what we needed”

Ranked #2 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
RI
“Just what we needed”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We looked and looked for many places and this place was worth the search. We wanted a room with a working fireplace and I believe almost of not all the rooms at this inn have that. Doug and Wendy welcomed us when we arrived, showed us around. At 5:00 they offer a free glass of wine by the fire in the lounge. Fantastic!
Geo offers great selections for breakfast. I had the French toast 1 day and the omelet the other. Both delicious, my partner had the french toast both days.
Wendy gave us a tour of the inn and other rooms including the luxury suites, definitely something to consider the next visit, and there will be a next visit. Only thing I would say is to call in advance to ask about rooms as some are in better locations than others. We were in 5b, very quiet and private.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Colchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed at the Nutmeg with another couple for an overnight getaway. We are frequent travelors to VT and have stayed in many B&B's in the past, but this Inn takes the cake! The Innkeepers, Doug & Geo, are wonderful. Wendy (the manager) gave us a full tour of the Inn. It's beautifully decorated and the rooms are spacious, meticulously maintained and the beds are heaven! Make sure you come down hungry for a scrumptous country breakfast in the morning. We can't wait to visit again this Summer! I HIGHLY recommend this Inn.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We've been meaning to write this review since our honeymoon back in October. My wife and I stayed with Doug and Geo for a week and loved every minute of it! They were the consummate B&B hosts - attentive without being intrusive, caring without being overbearing. The honeymoon suite was everything we could have asked for: the world's most comfortable king-sized bed, a relaxing jacuzzi tub, a wood-burning fireplace that was never lacking for fuel, a great couch for napping and soft carpets underfoot throughout. The decor in the room and throughout was personal and thoughtful, with Geo's own art (and even handmade blankets) providing tasteful decoration. The breakfasts were excellent (though us picky Brooklynites would take off a half-star for the legitimately awful coffee). We were stuck at The Nutmeg Inn when Halloween brought a surprise two feet of snow, and we couldn't have been happier to be "trapped" for a day at this lovely place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonah E
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We celebrated Valentine's Day a few days later and headed to the Nutmeg Inn in Wilmington, VT. I researched several Inns before booking and the reviews were fantastic so we figured that this was the place to go.
I read about the transformation that the Inn had gone through and upon entering you can feel the warmth and see the beauty. The colors and the decor just add to the inviting feeling.
Our room was beautiful and impeccably clean.
Doug is a wonderful, accommodating host. He goes out of his way to make you feel welcome. Whatever you need and however he can make it better, he does.
You will see Geo's art everywhere at the Inn but the amazing understatement is his culinary talents! Breakfast are amazing, but do yourself a HUGE favor and have dinner at the Inn. It was probably one of the best meals we've ever had! Btw, Geo's smile is infectious!
Wendy is who you'll see at the front desk and all around the Inn. If I had to tell you what she does I'd just say, "everything". She is an amazing dessert chef! Incredible Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Almond Cake. When I say incredible, that's what I mean. They melt in your mouth. Decadence without that "woah that's too rich" taste!
You'll probably meet Cheryl in the dining room as you sit down to your first cup of coffee. Her smile and conversation will make you feel like you belong at the Inn.
Doug, Geo, Wendy and Cheryl all made us feel like we had known them forever, like we were friends visiting, not B&B guests!
What a perfect way to spend Valentines Day! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Check the website for the different accommodations available.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kauaikat725
New York
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My family stayed one night at the Nutmeg Inn because I wanted to "get away" and just relax for a day, and I really cannot say enough wonderful things about our experience. It truly is a wonderful B&B, and after visiting this past weekend, I have already booked my next stay there! All of these reviews are spot-on. The innkeeper Doug was gracious and kind (I did not get a chance to meet the other innkeeper Geo, but he did cook our breakfast, which was out of this world). Wendy, the other person who works there, was so nice as well, as well as the other staff I met. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly, and had a mini-tour of the inn. It is gorgeous, quaint and cozy. The pictures on the website do not do justice to the real charm and beauty of the inn. They were more than accomodating to us, and did not have a problem with our dog being with us (she is small and well-behaved, and they just ask that the dog not be in the room if you are not in there, which was not a problem for us). They gave us a room which was perfect for my family (toddler and a newborn, dog, hubby and myself), and it was more than spacious with a beautiful fireplace. It also looks like a great place for couples to visit, as the ambiance is very intimate. I honestly have never felt so relaxed in a long time, and I can't wait to get back there. I wish them all the best of luck; it is obvious they put a lot of love and care into what they do!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
1.2 km away
1.8 km away
Viking Motel
Viking Motel
#3 of 3 in Wilmington

Been to The Nutmeg? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK