“Simply Great”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wilmington
Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States
“Simply Great”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My family and i have been coming to the Old Red mill ever since i was a little toddler (for about 18 years). when winters come, the first thing i look forward to is our little snowboarding trip to vermont. the old red mill is truly a beautiful place. the staff is super friendly, genuine and hard working. The rooms are perfect for us, since we are on the slopes all day and just need a nice place to sleep at night. The food...THE FOOD...i cant even describe the enigma that is an old red mill dinner after a cold day outside. some of my best memories are of big juicy steaks for dinner, and then relaxing with family and friends by the cozy fire hearth. The salad bar is unparalleled, and make sure you get a table by the window at night, so you can see the half frozen brook running alongside the bank and the foggy little christmas lights across the river.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank michaeldiros
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We ran from Hurricane Irene and bizarrely found ourselves in what would become an inundated gorge (the water rose from 1-2 foot to around 9 ft overnight, then 3 ft more before we left--the place was scary--nobody else apart from one family staying, and all staff abandoned ship with the owner nowhere in sight). A rather lackadaisical check in by tapping the shoulder of the bartender got us keys. The carpet threadbare and the room scarily dorm like (but very clean!). We ate here and it was surprisingly excellent--the outdoor grill overlooking what was to become a raging torrent had a highly competent chef (although not willing to share recipes, which is his right). Maybe 8 tables, cosy, flowers, wooden floor and building. I enjoyed the meal muchly, and the waitress was down to earth, friendly at the right time, and served us very well (although on slow tico time). I would recommend the restaurant BBQ ribs, but don't expect anything at all from the dorm rooms (except cleanliness). I hope the mill was not devastated, like the rest of this pleasant sleepy village, and wish them success in their business and any needed reservations. The price was right, and you get what you pay for--$85+ doesnt get much luxury.

Room Tip: Pay the extra few dollars for a river view, you can watch the effects of the hurricane and plan your...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BritIt
oldredmill, General Manager at Old Red Mill, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
Yes, Hurricane Irene did cause me to call all the staff off on Sunday morning. I hate to think of what might have happened if everyonehad come to work. I was at the front desk for an hour before I felt it was necessary for me to leave. The owner was not able to get to The Red Mill as the roads were under water and washed out. Not seeing cars in the parking lot I must assume guests left before I arrived. Entire Village is devastated by the flood and only two or three businesses are able to continue at this time. Many months of rebuilding the Red Mill and the town are now our goal. Many videos of the Village are available on YouTube.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I was simply looking for a place to lay my head before a day at Mount Snow. Rang the Old Red Mill from the road and they were able to reserve a room for me.

Due to my late arrival the key was left for me (much appreciated). The downside though is that there was no one at the desk when I arrived. Had there been I would probably have left.

The walls are paper thin and while my interest in an inexpensive (okay, downright cheap) hotel room is that all I want is a bed and a shower. It would seem that others' interest in a cheap hotel room is that there is more money for beer. "Wahoo, PBR dude!" kept coming through both walls of my room until well after midnight. After a five hour drive, it wasn't welcome.

The sign on the room door helpfully asks that guests keep noise to a minimum and, if there are any issues, to report them to the front desk. But, since the desk isn't staffed it falls to the guests to work things out. I had little to no interest in confronting a half a dozen drunk college boys.

Location is ideal, less than a block to a small strip of bars and restaurants. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the water was nice and hot, with good pressure.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank cl_sangsters
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2011

TERRIBLE...My wife and I encountered rude service and terrible lodging conditions. We arrived at 5:30 and no one was available to check us in, but the key was tacked to the front door. Our room condtions were the biggest complaint. The room was very small, had one working light, ink, dirt and "reddish" stains on the sheets and numerous holes in plaster of our walls. We wanted a relaxing vacation but were uncomfortable staying even one night. We tried to check out at 7am the next day but again no one was available so we left the key and a note requested a refund on the room. Received no phone calls. Approached the manager later that week and he was very rude was appalled at my complaints and said there was nothing he could do about the situation. There are MANY lodges in the area. My recomendation is to take a chance at any other one besides the Old Red Mill.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
oldredmill, General Manager at Old Red Mill, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
All guests are informed that the office is not open 24 hours a day when they make their reservation either with us directly or with our online reservation provider. Being late season the office does close earlier on evenings our restaurant is not open. The office was open at 8:00am the next day.

Contact names and numbers are given to all guests on their confirmation and on the envelope left for them if they are checking in late. The owners phone number is also posted on the office window.

The Old Red Mill Inn has never denied the size of the guests rooms. They are small, but clean. Our housekeeping staff is trained to check all light bulbs and the television remote batteries while cleaning. Having personnally inspected this room the next mornin,g I found all lights to be in working order. The television had been unplugged and cable removed from back of television. This was not done by Red Mill staff. Depending on the application, plaster walls can be rough or smooth. The plaster walls at the Red Mill are rough. There are no holes in the walls.
The housekeeping staff would never intentionally use linens from our linen service that had stains or ink.
New York City
Reviewed 2 February 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Red Mill Inn three times - all in the winter - when we were in town to Snowboard at Mt. Snow. We love the Red Mill Inn first because it's a great value - clean rooms and has a convenient location (a few yards to bars, restaurants, and a short drive to the mountain). We also love that it has a restaurant and bar on-site for when it's too cold to leave! You need to know the rooms are very small and you can hear your neighbors but the rooms are clean and very functional. We love that they have DVD players and that you can control your own heat! We never think to stay anywhere else when we visit Mt. Snow. The restaurant is not a 5 star place - but it's decent. We also love the free breakfast. It's totally cute and cozy and I would recommend anyone stay there as long as you're not planning on spending all day in your room!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBSheppard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
25.5 km away
1.4 km away
The White House Inn
The White House Inn
#4 of 10 in Wilmington

Been to Old Red Mill? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK