“You get what you pay for -- bring earplugs”
Review of Old Red Mill

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Old Red Mill
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wilmington
New York City, New York
“You get what you pay for -- bring earplugs”
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I was simply looking for a place to lay my head before a day at Mount Snow. Rang the Old Red Mill from the road and they were able to reserve a room for me.

Due to my late arrival the key was left for me (much appreciated). The downside though is that there was no one at the desk when I arrived. Had there been I would probably have left.

The walls are paper thin and while my interest in an inexpensive (okay, downright cheap) hotel room is that all I want is a bed and a shower. It would seem that others' interest in a cheap hotel room is that there is more money for beer. "Wahoo, PBR dude!" kept coming through both walls of my room until well after midnight. After a five hour drive, it wasn't welcome.

The sign on the room door helpfully asks that guests keep noise to a minimum and, if there are any issues, to report them to the front desk. But, since the desk isn't staffed it falls to the guests to work things out. I had little to no interest in confronting a half a dozen drunk college boys.

Location is ideal, less than a block to a small strip of bars and restaurants. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the water was nice and hot, with good pressure.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank cl_sangsters
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2011

TERRIBLE...My wife and I encountered rude service and terrible lodging conditions. We arrived at 5:30 and no one was available to check us in, but the key was tacked to the front door. Our room condtions were the biggest complaint. The room was very small, had one working light, ink, dirt and "reddish" stains on the sheets and numerous holes in plaster of our walls. We wanted a relaxing vacation but were uncomfortable staying even one night. We tried to check out at 7am the next day but again no one was available so we left the key and a note requested a refund on the room. Received no phone calls. Approached the manager later that week and he was very rude was appalled at my complaints and said there was nothing he could do about the situation. There are MANY lodges in the area. My recomendation is to take a chance at any other one besides the Old Red Mill.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
oldredmill, General Manager at Old Red Mill, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
All guests are informed that the office is not open 24 hours a day when they make their reservation either with us directly or with our online reservation provider. Being late season the office does close earlier on evenings our restaurant is not open. The office was open at 8:00am the next day.

Contact names and numbers are given to all guests on their confirmation and on the envelope left for them if they are checking in late. The owners phone number is also posted on the office window.

The Old Red Mill Inn has never denied the size of the guests rooms. They are small, but clean. Our housekeeping staff is trained to check all light bulbs and the television remote batteries while cleaning. Having personnally inspected this room the next mornin,g I found all lights to be in working order. The television had been unplugged and cable removed from back of television. This was not done by Red Mill staff. Depending on the application, plaster walls can be rough or smooth. The plaster walls at the Red Mill are rough. There are no holes in the walls.
The housekeeping staff would never intentionally use linens from our linen service that had stains or ink.
New York City
Reviewed 2 February 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Red Mill Inn three times - all in the winter - when we were in town to Snowboard at Mt. Snow. We love the Red Mill Inn first because it's a great value - clean rooms and has a convenient location (a few yards to bars, restaurants, and a short drive to the mountain). We also love that it has a restaurant and bar on-site for when it's too cold to leave! You need to know the rooms are very small and you can hear your neighbors but the rooms are clean and very functional. We love that they have DVD players and that you can control your own heat! We never think to stay anywhere else when we visit Mt. Snow. The restaurant is not a 5 star place - but it's decent. We also love the free breakfast. It's totally cute and cozy and I would recommend anyone stay there as long as you're not planning on spending all day in your room!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MBSheppard
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My girlfriend and I decided on a last minute ski trip to Vermont for NYE. After searching for quiet a bit we came upon the Old Red Mill. Most Inns and Hotels in the mount snow valley had inflated their prices drastically for NYE. Old Red was the only place that only slightly raised prices and was by far the least expensive.

After reading reviews we decided to take a chance on it. We were quiet surprised. We loved the Old Red Mill. The staff was really nice and the restaurant was very good. The main entrance has great character, decorated with relics from its past as a saw mill. Loved the huge indoor fire pit. I must say the other reviews are correct though, the rooms are tiny and they can be quiet noisy if the down stairs restaurant is busy and/or you have loud neighbors, but we couldn't complain for the price we paid, which also included continental breakfast from 7:30-9:30am. We had a riverside room which had a really nice view of the river which was literally feet away. I'd recommend these river rooms over the street side. The room was very clean, small but cozy. The bathroom is tiny! If your a large guy you might not fit in the shower!

Old Red is in a great area, within walking distance to many great restaurants and taverns. Had a great breakfast at Dots around the corner, Fennessey's is a nice place for dinner with good service compared to other places in the area. A brew at Maple Leaf across the street is a must also. If your skiing, the free shuttle called the MOOver is right outside next to the church. I choose to drive, Mt snow is literally on the same road about 15 minutes away. easy drive.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Tri Cities
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I would have to agree that the bedroom walls are paper thin and the showers/furnishings/rooms/fixtures somewhat outdated, but you get what you pay for. The rooms are however very clean. The Inn itself is very rustic and quite charming downstairs. Janet was wondeful and very hospitable and helpful.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
25.5 km away
1.4 km away
The White House Inn
The White House Inn
#4 of 10 in Wilmington

Been to Old Red Mill? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK