All reviews old school train station cafe next door older hotels high ceilings railroad town rooms connected turkish restaurant vintage hotel new england charm junior suite shared bath step back in time wide hallways cookie cutter chain hotels sitting room
Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

After reading some less than favorable reviews, I wasn't sure about staying at Hotel Coolidge, but I am SO glad that we went! My 3 kids and I aren't into "fancy," but we love friendly, unique, historical, and clean. We also love trains. Hotel Coolidge was PERFECT for us!
The clerk I spoke to assured me that the staff is "vigilant" about room cleanliness, and our 2 rooms with adjoining bathroom were squeaky clean. (Better than some new chain hotels we've stayed in.) While the building itself feels a bit worn, it had a loved, comfortable feel (way better than those chain hotels) that we felt very at-home with.
The clerks all took pride in the building's history (it was owned by President Coolidge's father, among other interesting facts), and the "Vermont Room" boasts a wrap-around mural depicting the history of VT (ask to see it). There's memorabilia in the hallways, and writeups in the room guides.
Our very reasonably-priced room included $4.50 credit per person toward breakfast at the adjoining Boho Cafe. That was also a tremendous value, with most dishes priced from $4.50-$6.00. The cafe, like the hotel, is inviting and eclectic, and has a great view of any trains passing through.
There are RR tracks across the street (we quickly learned that trains are a huge part of the history of White River Junction), and we were excited to see several freight trains in our 1-day stay.
We had no issues with heat in our rooms. There was an electric radiator we could control, and the heat came up during the night (a bit clangy with the old steam radiators, but provided good heat). The shower water was hot, but was interruoted with bursts of cold, I think when toilets were flushed. Not a big deal.
My 3 kids and I were all wishing we could have stayed longer, and we'll try to return in the future. Though we had only intended to catch some sleep at the Coolidge before we headed further north, we were delighted to realize Quechee Gorge and Montshire Science Museum were minutes away. We put off continuing our travels for half a day so we could enjoy these area wonders.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Judith F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Hi Nancy,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel like all the staff should stand up and take a bow! I'm so glad that you enjoyed our hotel the way that the rest of us do. It is truly a unique experience, and so much fun to have travelers here who take such an active interest in the history of the place, the way you and your kids did. A small point--the Hotel was named after Calvin Coolidge's father, but was not actually owned by him. We do have a large framed photo of Calvin Coolidge on a train in WRJ, stopped at the station and greeting a throng of people, many of them young kids. I'd love to show that to you the next time you and your family are here!

Reviewed 15 February 2017

The Hotel lobby is pleasant and old world-like. There was a roaring fire in the wood burning fireplace and comfortable chairs nearby. Great location in the center of White River Junction. Room was petite, but sufficient. Sound carries such that I could not only hear normal conversations in the room next door, but those on the street below as well. Hotel policy is to collect your payment BEFORE you check in, which means checking out early is more difficult. They offered a $4.50 discount on breakfast in the next door cafe, but I would advise going elsewhere . . .

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Judith F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2017

Thanks so much for your review. We do love to have a nice big fire on a winter's night--there's nothing like it for providing comfort. I apologize if you found our early check out procedure to be tedious. I'll take a look at that process to see how it can be streamlined. And it sounds like the cafe next door was having an off day--we normally hear nothing but raves about it. I'll make sure to let the manager know. Thanks again for the feedback!

Reviewed 13 February 2017

A beautiful old hotel from another time - right at home in Vermont! Rooms are clean and very comfortable, my jr. suite had a large bathroom with a bathtub and a separate sitting room with a sink, couch, and desk. The location means shops and restaurants are walkable within a few blocks. The staff are also very friendly. It's hard to find a hotel with this kind of old-time charm at such a low price - this is not a luxury period piece but a real, practical place to stay at similar prices to the chain motels off the highway.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $10 for a suite.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Judith F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Thanks very much for you detailed, wonderful review. Can't think of anything to add, but we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 15 January 2017

The Hotel Coolidge is an establishment that will take you back to another era or remind you of a favorite 1940's black and white film. Check your motel/hotel experiences of the 21st century at the door and prepare for a well-priced place to stay that will evoke images of another era. If you are looking for sleek and modern, stay away. If you are looking for a time warp adventure, this is your spot

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank gillie2017
HotelCoolidge1, Front Office Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2017

Hi there-- I loved reading your review! I have often thought that Damon Runyon would have loved it here, with all of the charm that our historic building has to offer. Happily, modern-day travelers, needing amenities such as wifi, great local restaurants, and other attractions within easy walking distance, are equally at home here. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 14 January 2017

This is an old hotel but is clean and has the traditional creaky floors. Breakfast is available next door and probably at other restaurants nearby but did not explore.
Less expensive than hotels by the state highways.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for your to-the-point review. We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope to see you again!