“Quintessential New England”

Deerfield Valley Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dover
Deerfield Valley Inn
Ranked #9 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2010

The innkeepers were very friendly and responsive to our individual needs. The purpose of our trip was to ski at Mt. Snow. After each day of skiing it was a pleasure to return to our room which was very cozy,clean, and had an in-room fireplace that we used each night. The bed was incredibly comfortable. Each morning, the innkeepers served made-to-order breakfasts that were well-balanced and of high quality. The overall atmosphere of the inn is quintessential New England. We plan to return next winter! All-in-all, we had a very pleasurable experience for excellent value.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2010

My husband, some friends and I recently stayed at Deerfield Valley Inn. I can't say enough nice things about this place. First, the room in which we stayed had a wonderful fireplace that made the room all toasty. We had our own porch that looked out on beautiful, unspoiled snow.

The breakfasts were carb delights. We had wonderful omelets and pancakes. Every morning we would delight in the homemade breads and muffins. YUM!!!

Dinner was equally good. We had wonderful fish and lamb. The sides were excellent and the desserts made me triple my workouts when I came home.

The two owners are really nice guys. They are friendly and give wonderful advice about the surrounding area.

You will love it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2010

There aren't many affordable options in West Dover. My best friend and I came for MLK weekend. The cheapest room available was room #7 at this place for $125/night before taxes. It was tiny with an old, lumpy bed and a bathroom the size of a closet. The shower head was so low, I had to bend down to wash my hair- I"m only 5'6". My friend who's 5'3" also had to bend over to wash her hair! I couldn't imagine a man fitting into the shower stall, let alone a tall woman.

The decor is what you expect from an old country house, but what was odd were how the pipes groaned after you used the sink or flushed the toilet. Luckily it only lasted a few minutes each time you ran the water, but some warning would've been nice. The radiater also had a habit of tapping at odd hours of the night. It's sort of creepy if you weren't expecting it.

Lastly, Rosemary is not the warmest person on earth. Our first night, she accused us of tracking mud into the front foyer. We showed her that our shoes were clean and the mud didn't even match our footprints. When she was satisfied it wasn't us, she let us pass through. It was almost midnight and it felt like we were being scolded. The subsequent nights we came home around 10pm or 11pm respectively, and there was Rosemary peering through the window to watch us come through the door. It wouldn't have been so weird if she simply smiled or waved hello; instead she watched us like we were up to no good. By the way, my friend and I are totally respectful people and never gave her any reason to be suspicious. It was very odd.

Rosemary's partner, on the other hand, is extremely friendly and warm. She does the cooking and primarily stays in the kitchen.

In addition, the fun of staying at a bed and breakfast is meeting other travelers. The eating area was set up like a formal dining room and the stuffy nature prevented guests from mingling.

Overall, West Dover/Mt. Snow is unimpressive in terms of scencery, facilities, and restaurants. My primary reason for visiting was to spend time with family who were also up there for the weekend. Save your money and go elsewhere!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Deerfield Valley Inn only one night in October but wished it could have been longer. I read reviews on the Inn by other people hoping to pick a good place to stay. All the reviews were excellent and I would have to agree. Both Rosemary and Doreen were so friendly and helpfull it was like we were all friends. They go out of their way to help and answer all your questions. The fireplace was burning in the downstairs sitting area when we arrived. After we settled in our room after dinner we lit that one. The fire only added to the charm of the large but cozy room. The breakfast was served in a very nicely decorated dining room. Complete and cooked to order with homemade nut bread we could smell baking the night before. We can highly recommend the Deerfield Valley Inn especially for a warm romantic evening.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 15 October 2008

Rosemary, Doreen and the ladies who run the Deerfield Valley Inn have that knack of seemingly not doing much, but simultaneously keeping everything running smoothly at the same time. The Deerfield Vally Inn is a home away from home - safe, warm and yes, cozy. Friendly staff, simple but good hot breakfasts, and inviting guest rooms make this spot a winner.

We stayed in a fireplace room with single beds and a cheerful fireplace with seating area. Thick duvees cover the beds, and ample pillows are provided. A small TV with DVD player is hidden next to the fireplace - which as another reviewer pointed out has a stocked firewood area.

There's no coffee maker in the room, but beverage service is always available in the hallway downstairs from the breakfast room (hot water with available tea bags, cider, hot chocolate, and usually snacks like cookies or breads.)

There's a small bath with tub and shower connected to the room. The amenities were very clean, and soap, shampoo, lotion were provided (no hair dryer.) The only complaint about the bathroom is that this particular room is in an attic dormer space with sloping ceiling - so that the full size tub is cut in half by the shower curtain (to avoid guests from hitting their head on the sloping shower wall.) While the tub is a fine size for bathing, there's not much room within the curtain to shower. There is, however, plenty of shower water pressure and hot water.

Rosemary was very helpful in recommending certain activities nearby when we talked with her during breakfast. She also scared up a variety of DVD's that we could watch in our room.

There's a front living room with fireplace that has games and puzzles and a larger TV for those rainy afternoons.

I will return!