“Very nice place to enjoy winter in New England” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at Sawmill Farm

Inn at Sawmill Farm
Ranked #12 of 13 Dover B&B and Inns
Boston
“Very nice place to enjoy winter in New England”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We spend only one night at the inn, and were regretful that we did not come for at least one more night. The inn is quaint, with many charming decorations - the mini reindeers were my favorites and I was very tempted to take one home with me. Outside was freezing, but the living area had a great fireplace that was surrounded by comfortable couches and the fire was roaring. The library had many books, magazines, coffee, tea, hot chocolates and cookies for all guest to enjoy at any time.
Our room was very large and the bathroom had a nice hot tub. The only problem we noted was that an older person might have difficulty to get into the tub, or out for that matter.
We had a very nice dinner at the restaurant and regretted that the bar area was too small to have a drink there after the dinner, as it was packed. But we made up for it by having a glass of wine by the fireplace.
The breakfast was generous and tasty and the server was very attentive, though it seemed that he had a lot to do, since he was the only person taking care of all the guests. We were not in rush, so no problem for us. Some guests are not easy to please as we noted the various requests...
Everyone on the staff that we interacted with was very friendly. We left late morning and made plans to return in a near future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank littlecow
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

This inn has new owners since early 2011. Let me first say that it is a beautiful setting and nicely decorated, and I am not at all a complainer. We have stayed at many wonderful B&Bs throughout Vermont. I just want to relate my personal experiences. We found their website and saw a mid-week special on the website "any room in the main inn, $99 without breakfast, $125 with breakfast. When I called, an employee told me all rooms at the main inn were taken, but their Cider House building rooms were being discounted from $285 to $200. I booked the Cider House room.

While up there, each day was a ghost town at the inn. Three cars in the parking lot, no one else at breakfast, fireplace not even on in the lounge, no one else around. Even at night, their restaurant was empty. They sent a waitress home one night. The day before checkout I inquired as to why I was told the main inn was filled when I called, but obviously was not true. I was told FEMA "blocked out" the rooms. After I asked to speak to the owner, she first tried to tell me the rooms were all taken, then tried to tell me Room six was available, but I had turned it down while initially calling which was a lie, then she tried to say the "special prices" were not on all rooms, etc. I had even checked the website again before I had approached the front desk, so I knew I was not crazy. I told her I felt scammed. FEMA may have called about room availability, but they surely didn't pack the inn. Also, I had mentioned to her that on two days, the main lounge, a nice room with a fireplace, was occupied by a camera crew, and was told by the staff that they were shooting photos for future advertising of the inn. When I menbtioned this in the telephone call to the owner, she remarked "well, you could have sat in there, no one was stopping you." Well, it was filled with electrical cables, camera lighting stands, the crew, etc. Not too Vermont-like. Lastly, I asked the owner why we were told upon check-in that breakfast the next morning would have to be at 7:15 or 9:15. She advised that she had her rotary club meeting in the restaurant at 8:00 am. I don't see how that meeting could not have been held somewhere else, or after the guests breakfast. Just like the photo shoot, for customer service you work around the guests . . . they are paying for a relaxing stay. The owner adjusted my room rate, but I do appreciate that, but she was rude and did not want to talk to me any further. All I asked her was to see it from a guest's point of view.

Our last day, breakfast was delayed because as the server told us, the chef had to run home as she had child care issues. He dropped our bagel on the way to our table serving us, and then related a story as to once at another restaurant he dropped a roasted duck while about to carve it tableside . . and as they had no more duck available, he just took it into the kitchen and washed it off and brought it out again, telling the patrons it was a new one. Made us kind of wonder what happened to our bagel once he brought it back to the kitchen! The inn obviously is operated on a skeleton crew in the slow season, but guests expect the same level of service whether it is busy or not. The new owners need to remember that in this economy, a B&B stay is a luxury and a treat for guests, and it is those guests that will keep them running both in good and bad times. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank whodunit29
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed at the Inn at Sawmill Farm the night before checking into my rental house for a Christmas ski weekend in Mt. Snow. I was traveling with my two teens and was looking for a reasonably priced place with New England/Vermont charm and coziness to stay after a long 6 hour car ride. The Inn at Sawmill met all of my needs and expectations.
When I checked in I was greeted by the night inn keeper and thrilled to receive a two room upgrade. How nice it was for the teens to have their own room. Earlier in the day I had spoken to Pam to book the room who was couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful.
We ate dinner in town and then relaxed in front of the nice crackling fire place in the great room before going to bed. The Inn also has a quaint little bar near the great room.
The rooms we stayed in were very country in decor, cozy and clean. The bed was comfy and I fell asleep as fast as I hit the pillow. I also enjoyed the bottle of water. I travel a lot and little things like a this make a difference.
We woke up to a view of snow fall around the beautiful farm which was a nice surprise to end my stay at the inn and start my holiday ski weekend
If you are tired like I am of the Mariott/Westin cookie cutter rooms with a corporate feel, the country charm is a different but nice, relaxing change and what you would expect to experience in a small town in Southern Vermont.
Great little inn run by nice people.
Will come again if I pass through W.Dover again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

The inn is absolutely full of charm. The staff were incredibly kind and acccomodating. There were always cookies and coffee available in the library and a fire roaring in the hearth of the great room. Everything was clean and well taken care of. It's true, our room was full of flower print and slightly out of date, but that only led to the overall experience of staying at the inn. It was an incredible place to stay. The only things that could have made the stay at the inn better, would have been an updated bathroom and a way to get rid of the old smell in the rooms (which is to be expected). Some out of date potpourri may have been contributing to the aroma. Besides those small nitpicky items, the inn was without issue.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms online- you can see them all before reserving
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Here
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed here for part of our 25th Anniversary trip. I have recently had to use a wheelchair to get around so my husband called ahead to be sure that the Inn was wheelchair accessible. It would have been okay if it were not, there are a lot of other places to stay but he was assured that it would be no problem. One of things we requested was a room with a separate shower as stepping into a tub is problematic. When we arrived, the staff offered to change the room we were originally assigned as the shower had no support bars. The room we were offered was upstairs!! As there is no elevator, it wasn't really possible. We decided to stay with our original room as it was on the ground floor and had a really beautiful wood-burning fireplace. Getting into the room was still a little difficult as there are stone steps up to the porch/deck. They were really shallow though, just about 4 inches high each so it was doable with my husband's help. The room was really very pretty. Huge open beams on the ceiling, watch your head on the support beams. Nice big television, desk.

The bathroom was oddly set up. The toilet is in a water-closet with a much smaller than usual door width. There were two sets of sinks in the washroom but they were not attached to each other. Would have been great to have one of them removed and the toilet included in that room by removing the wall, or, as I said, one of the sinks.

The first night we were given a little fire-starting "muffin" that worked great. The second night, no muffin.

We tried to push my chair up to the main inn to have dinner in the dining room but the incline was too steep and long. I'd s say a 45 degree angle up bumpy ground. It used to be a way to drive your car or carriage through to drop off your guests. They volunteered to try to carry me up or to deliver our food to our room. I didn't think carrying would work out well and since he was there ordering for us anyway, my husband just brought our food to our room himself. The first night's dinner, (both nights' dinner was included in the price), the service was wonderful. They didn't forget a single little detail. Breakfast was ready the next morning and we went out and had a wonderful time exploring the area.

That night's dinner the service seemed to just fall off. We got no plates, just had to eat out of the tinfoil containers, No butter for the rolls, no Parmesan for the pasta. The next morning, while the information says they start serving breakfast at eight, ours didn't appear until after nine. Wireless internet was free but pretty much non-existent. Staff said it's been like that since the big storm. The phone didn't work at all. The front office would call to let us know our meal was ready and it would just ring and ring and ring and we couldn't hear each other when we picked up. Even though we told them that after the first time, they kept ringing the next time.

We're really disappointed that I didn't get to experience the full New England Inn experience. It is a really lovely place if you can get around like most people. It's just not very open at this time for someone with mobility issues like mine. My husband called once we got back home to discuss these issues and someone said that someone would get back to him but, it's been a week and we've not heard a thing.

Room Tip: We had the lower cider room and if not for my wheelchair, it was just gorgeous. We also think the wo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 2_Casual_Travelers11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
4.1 km away
0.2 km away
West Dover Inn
West Dover Inn
#3 of 13 in Dover

Been to Inn at Sawmill Farm? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK