“Oh, how we wish we liked this place.....”

Hob Knob Inn, Bar & Lounge
Ranked #7 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The owners are as warm and welcoming as they get, along with two well-trained but super friendly dogs. There is a restaurant in the building with the office and the motel is behind that up the hill a short drive. We had great expectations for this place and were spending several days.

Once we got to our room, things went a bit downhill. Just inside the entry door to the hallway, there was a couch that I'm sure our son's fraternity left outside too long ten years ago. Yuck. The carpeting is cheap industrial with stains everywhere. The furniture probably cost a total of $200 and the bed had to be a donation (soft and uncomfortable). One of our windows was broken and the toilet sounded like a fire alarm every time it was flushed. The "full breakfast" was rubbery scrambled eggs, lukewarm pancakes and nice crisp bacon. If you stay here, don't bother eating here. There are great options in town.

"Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?".

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JMETravel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

We really enjoyed my stay in Stow at the Hob Knob Inn. The staff made sure we had an excellent experience. Can't wait to come back during ski season. I have spent a lot more for a lot less at some of the other bed and breakfasts in Stowe. I would definitely come back and recommend it to my friends. I was concerned from the reviews that I would be hungry after breakfast but I think the Hob Knob must have responded to the previous comments about food because breakfast was fantastic. The property was well maintained and the staff extremely friendly. Nothing was missing from my stay. I was expecting less for the price but they exceeded my expectations. I had a fantastic stay in Stowe and highly recommend the Hob Knob Inn. I would like to thank the staff for making our stay so much fun. The owners of the inn are hilarious and really try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. True hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChrisMcWheeLs
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We have been coming down to Stowe from Ontario for about 25 years now and, frankly were getting a bit tired of the place.We decided to give it one more try and booked into the Hob Knob.The reception we got from Barb,Bob and Kate really made us feel at home.and glad we came.The hotel is clean and comfortable and the breakfasts very good and are included in the price.
See you soon we hope and hopefully we see more of Samuel.(Kate's new baby)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2011

It's just plain hard to find comfortable, affordable accommodations for a family with little kids. Our ideal set up is a room with a king sized bed for my husband and me (that's what we have at home - why would we want less on vacation?) and a pull out couch for the two kids. A fridge is nice but not a deal breaker. This is exactly what we found at the Hob Knob... and we honestly had more space than we needed! We loved having a living room and porch; the kitchenette was really handy. We were able to comfortably order a take out pizza and eat it in our little apartment...so nice during a long road trip with lots of restaurant meals. Kids don't like to sit at a restaurant table for 45-90 minutes at a time for three meals a day. At least, mine don't. So this was a refreshing change. We felt like we had a little home away from home for a couple of days, and that was wonderful.

But I will say that the decor is tired, the pool is a disgrace, and our room had an unpleasant pine cleaner smell (like a combination of a brand new car air freshener and a fresh piece of gum) that simply could not mask the mildew odor.

The breakfast was delicious and appreciated, but I think that a few extra options need to be added in order to truly call this place "family friendly." Plain bagels with cream cheese or peanut butter, yogurt and fruit...just a few extras. We had to stop and get my son something else for breakfast both mornings after he picked at the breakfast...he's just not an adventurous eater. Same with the dinner restaurant - we planned to eat there but found out that there were two options for kids, really, neither of which appealed to my two.

Personally I'd prefer to have the price dropped a bit and skip the "included" breakfast because it didn't work for us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My wife and three adult daughters just spent three nights at the Hob Nob and had a wonderful time. We booked 2 rooms and to our delight they adjoined each other, one had a kitchenette with two queen beds for our daughters, the other a king bed with lots of room for my wife and I....perfect. The rooms are not modern and richly appointed but are roomy, clean, quiet and very nice for the price. The breakfast served by the owners is outstanding. Kate, the daughter and new mother, was very personable and shared her wealth of information about the area. We looked forward to every morning's start in a casual cozy breakfast atmosphere. We dined at the restaurant on Saturday evening and had a delicious, culinary experience. A little pricey but again the atmosphere, attention by staff and service, as well as the food were magnificent. We hope to go back sometime in the future and recommend a stay at the Hob Knob for its comfort, price and friendly staff. Your needs will be cared for!

Room Tip: If you need two rooms ask for romm #s 1 and 2