Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews fire pit common spaces hot tub new owners mountain view ski lodge king room pool table common room beautiful grounds stowe area indoor pool fritz vermont nook summer wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 October 2019

A tired old Queen of a hotel. So many rooms and amenities offered. The bar was friendly. The breakfast attendant extremely nice and accommodating. The rooms are clean but there is a musty odor. I hear many people love this place but for me, I need to have a room that I like to hang in. Need to know that the location is about 15 minutes from town center in case you want to be closer. Beautiful grounds. Must be nice in the warmer months.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ryan K, General Manager at The Stowehof, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2019

Dear 5437dogface,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The Stowehof is an amazing historic property and we are very proud to offer lots of activities and amenities including our indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub, hiking and cross country ski trails, volley ball court, awesome lounge inside as well as the Fritz Bar + Restaurant. As with any historic property, there are certainly a variety of unique qualities at The Stowehof, most of which guests love and have enjoyed over the years. Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will consider visiting us again as we are in the planning phases of a large scale renovation of the Hotel.

Reviewed 26 October 2019

PRO: Close to many area attractions.Staff is very friendly and professional. CON: Our room was located above the outdoor fire pit. Guests were out side well after midnight being noisy and we had to run the bath exhaust to get rid of all the smoke. So we do not recommend anyone to reserve a room on that side of the hotel. Thermostat did not work properly. Keys and lock on the door did not work.Selective menu at Fritz Bar & Restaurant. It is in need of a necessary up grade all the way around.

Room tip: Do not book anything on the side where the outdoor fire pit is!

Dear Road204050,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you felt that the staff was friendly and professional, but am sorry to read about the challenges you experienced regarding smoke and noise from the outdoor fire-pit. I am also sorry to see that you had challenges with your thermostat and keys. I would like to note that the Hotel is currently in the planning phases of renovation and we are excited about the future of The Stowehof. Thank you again for your review and I will hope to welcome you back to The Stowehof in the future after our renovation has occurred.

Reviewed 26 October 2019

Our room, in the front of the hotel, was bare and much in need of redecoration/modernisation. Not even a chair. The room thermostat was not working and the room was like a sauna. We slept (badly) with the windows open. The thermostat couldn't be fixed the next day, so heating was turned off. Cold room! The hotel itself is old and in need of modernising and updating. Did not feel comfortable at the hotel. The only plus point is the location and the grounds at the back of the hotel.

Room tip: More expensive rooms at tne back of the hotel have a view.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sue R,

I am so sorry to read of the poor experience you had at The Stowehof. Our team prides itself on providing all of our guests with a unique and positive experience; I am disappointed to see that we did not provide this experience to you. The Stowehof is a classic Vermont hotel and has been cherished by many over the years. That said, the hotel does indeed need some modernization and I am happy to share that we are in the planning phases of a large scale renovation project. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2019 via mobile

This Bavarian style lodge was in an ideal secluded location with absolutely beautiful views of the mountains and fall foliage. The room was spacious and comfortable with it’s own dressing area, making it easy to spread out for the week.
The common areas were cozy, stylish and offered many nooks where one could relax. In addition, the Fritz bar served delicious food and drink from the Bavarian region. Overall, it was a great place to stay and we look forward to returning in the future!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank lorama2019
Ryan K, General Manager at The Stowehof, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2019

Dear lorama2019,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us this fall and felt that the Hotel provided a unique Bavarian experience. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 October 2019

The other bad reviews were accurate. The rooms are old and dirty. We were there 2 days ago, stayed only one night. When I booked the 2 rooms, I specified to have the rooms side by side or at least on the same floor. When we arrived, I found we got one room on the ground floor and the other room on the 2nd floor, eventually the man at the front desk did manage to switch reservations around and accommodate my request. But the rooms were terrible, the carpet had stains all over the place, the night tables had deep scratch marks. The worse were the bathrooms, the sink drained very slowly, the puddle accumulated will splash on you when you wash your face. One of the drain stopper was pulled out and laid up side down next to the faucets. The bath tub has brown stains all around, I would not even step in it. When someone in the next room takes a shower, the sound of the running water pipe is very loud.
With that said, the hotel is in a nice location, has a nice view, but the place needs serious renovation and updating.

Room tip: do not take room 32 and 33

Dear snowbird683,

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us. All of the issues you mention are unacceptable and not indicative of the type of experience we offer at The Stowehof. That said, we are in the planning phases of an extensive renovation which will address the items you mention in your review. I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future once we have updated the property.