“fall stay”

Ranked #6 of 23 Stowe B&B and Inns
Solihull, United Kingdom
“fall stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

This was a fairly basic inn. The owners were friendly. Good for the price, we wanted a cheap night and we did get that. There was a big choice at breakfast and the owners recommended a lovely restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

I took a much needed 3 night vacation to Stowe at the very end of the fall foliage season. I was looking for a decent priced place that was cozy and comfortable. The Gables Inn was just that. I found the owners to be very helpful and friendly from the time I made my reservation until the time I checked out. I arrived mid-afternoon on a drizzly day and was promptly greeted and given the key to my room. I chose to stay in one of the standard rooms as they were the lowest price. These rooms do not have a TV, but who needs that when you are trying to relax! The room was very charming with wooden floors, a beautiful quilt on the bed and a large bathroom. The floors were creaky and the bed also creaked when getting in and out, but I thought that just added to the charm. If you don't enjoy staying in old buildings, this would not be the place for you. I was given great recommendations for restaurants that were close by and not too pricey. The breakfasts each morning were simply delicious. The weekend special was a crepe with caramelized peaches, mascarpone cheese and raspberry syrup! I don't know that I have ever had something so wonderful. I really enjoyed coming back to my room at the end of each tiring day, knowing that I could relax in bed with a good book. They also do have free Wi-fi and a TV in the common area. Coffee and cake are out all day. The Inn is not far from the center of town and was very easy to find. If/When I return to Stowe, I will certainly stay at The Gables Inn.

Room Tip: If you want a TV, you'll have to choose one of the suites. Rooms aren't air tight, but the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

We felt lucky to find accommodation in the area for a reasonable price, and were not at all disappointed by what we arrived to discover. The inn was quaint, rustic, and charming - everything it claimed to be. It was not luxurious or opulent but had never sold itself as such and we felt that the laid back nature of the inn and its owners only added to the experience. The room was comfortable and clean. The breakfast was delicious. The location was lovely. The innkeepers offered wonderful suggestions for activities and for great restaurants to try for dinner. All in all, we thought the inn was fantastic and would certainly return again in the future.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

As part of New England Fall tour we stayed at Gables Inn with Randy and Annette (innkeepers), and Yogi the faithful dog.
Extremely friendly hosts and lovely accomodation,food and surroundings.
Breakfast are legendary as Randy says!
Large Room with Fireplace , very comfortable bed, very clean and well kept.
The place retains some authentic touches and does not try to be too sanitised, the better for it in my view.
We enjoyed this leg of our trip very much thanks to our hosts. No need to elaborate about Stowe what more can you say a beautiful destination.

We enjoyed the recommended hostelry "the Shed" pub for Ale & Food - try it you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for everything we will try and visit again.

David & Carole - Uk visitors

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a fireplace if you are in the fall or winter (i guess) it helps the am...
1 Thank David B
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

This is really good value for money. The owners, Annette and Randy are also operating the property. Therefore, if you need to speak with someone, you speak with the owner, it is sometimes easier than speaking with an employee. They are charming, helpful and very welcoming. The room I had, which was in the main building, could likely handle a little updating, but it would then be more expensive. And, the room & bathroom were clean, the bed was comfortable. I was there alone, so even if the room was more than adequate for a couple, I visited 2 another rooms for future reservations when I travel with my wife. These 2 other rooms were excellent, spacious, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast offered is just excellent and is generally available from 8:00 to noon. There is coffee and cake available at all times in the lobby.

Room Tip: Give a description of what you need, because they have rooms for different tastes and needs. The ow...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo